What's new

FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL and CAPTAIN KRONOS from Paramount: when (1 Viewer)

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Last I posted about these, Martin from Paramount said that they too "liked" the Hammer films but they couldn't get on the 2002 schedule. When then? 2003? If Paramount was to license these to Anchor Bay, they could get some of the main particpants to contribute. I know for a FACT that they would get Brian (The Avengers) Clemens who directed KRONOS. What a shame if these great Hammer DVD opportunities go to waste!

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
I don't understand why these companies just don't licence the Hammer films to Anchor Bay instead of letting them collect dust on the shelves. If Paramount has no intention of doing FRANKENSTEIN and the Monster From Hell and CAPTAIN KRONOS: Vampire Hunter, then they should make a deal with Anchor Bay. Paramount owns a ton of similar British horror films: DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS, THE PSYCHOPATH, THE DEADLY BEES, THE SKULL, MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH and others.

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
I have a chance to buy a Japanese laserdisc of Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (over $100). Should I wait for Paramount to give in to a DVD or pick it up?

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I have the Japanese discs for both KRONOS and MONSTER FROM HELL. Both are on the dark side, but MONSTER FROM HELL is fully uncut so you may want to think about it if Paramount has no plans to release it. Some "grey market" dealers offer videos of the British VHS release, and I heard that looks good, but at this point, I just want these films on DVD.

John Henry

Agent
If Paramount licensed titles to Anchor Bay, wouldn't they make a lot less money than if they released them theirselves?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
If Paramount licensed titles to Anchor Bay, wouldn't they make a lot less money than if they released them theirselves?
Perhaps, but they would be at least making SOME money off these titles as opposed to making nothing by not releasing them.
Once the licensing expires, Paramount can always release the titles again under their own banner...this has been the normal practise for years with VHS and LD, why not DVD?

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
Well it seems that they have little interest in releasing their Hammer films, so why not license them to Anchor Bay for the full works, special edition and all? I think I'll hold off on buying the Japanese laserdisc of Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell until I here back from them about the DVD release. If Paramount was to release the Hammer films to disc, I'm sure they'd look stunning.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure they would look stunning, but don't hold you breath because I was told that they would not be out in 2002! Why can't these get thrown onto the schedule, or like mentioned here, licensed to Anchor Bay? Paramount, just look at the great SE Hammer films that Anchor Bay has released this year:
SCARS OF DRACULA
HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN
BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB
LUST FOR A VAMPIRE
DR. JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE
...and more to come!
FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL and CAPTAIN KRONOS: VAMPIRE HUNTER would fit right along with these...

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
Paramount is releasing SECONDS and PROPHECY. Personally I think the later film sucks, and surely the Hammer films have a much wide appeal. I just don't get it.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal, Columbia, Warner & Paramount all have ignored the Hammer titles that they have in their library. I don't understand this thinking as their is a large market out there for Hammer films (and Amicus too).
Thank God for Anchor Bay!!!

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
Paramount is sitting on a bunch of the Amicus films: THE SKULL, THE PSYCHOPATH, DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS, TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS (almost Amicus), THE DEADLY BEES.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I don't mind if Paramount holds onto its Hammers provided they are released to the same quality that Anchor Bay would give them. Paramount never lets down with video quality, but, frankly, a lot of opportunities are missed with regard to extras on catalogue titles - particularly commentary tracks, which are so vital to be recorded soon - since the cast and crew of these older films won't be with us forever (sad but true).
And let's not single out Paramount here - Anchor Bay outshines all the major studios on their treatment of the Hammer films. Come on, Warner, Fox et al - if AB can do it, so can you! :)

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I agree! Can't these major studios (Paramount, Warner, Columbia, Universal) see the potential in their Hammer films and realize that they're fan favorites? Look at that GREAT work Anchor Bay has done for Hammer and continues to do!

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
Paramount (on this forum) just announced a bunch of library titles for 2001-2002. Maybe the Hammer films will still make the Halloween schedule.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm all for this. Hammer films kick ass, and they have been treated very poorly by the home video sector for decades, getting sporadic, subpar treatment all along the way. Anchor Bay has certainly been the Hammer fans beacon of hope and provider of quality merchandise here in the dawn of dvd, but, although they have released very little, both Image and Warner have made valiant efforts. Cases in point; Image's Kiss of the Vampire and Spaceways look great, and Warner's The Mummy, from what I hear, is a great transfer (which I have unfortunately not acquired as of yet
frown.gif
). At the Warner chat, they said they were paying close attention to sales of The Mummy in considering releases for Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula. I know, I'm just as guilty, but let's all get out there and pick up a Mummy. I'll be getting one this weekend, I promise.
biggrin.gif
. As for Paramount and MGM.... they seriously need to get on the ball. MGM has a few things in the wroks, but they are a ways off, and restoring cut material doesn't seem to be a big issue for MGM at this time, which is very disheartening.
PLEASE... Sign my very pertinent petition, found in my sig. Thank you!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ben, love the petition, and I signed it months ago! I don't agree with you about Warner doing good with THE MUMMY -- basically a timely cash-in on the DVD release of the Universal blockbuster sequal. They see little value in their Hammer films in reality. I ask you to please start similar petitions aimed at Warner, Paramount, Columbia and perhaps Universal to release the Hammer films they own. As long as there's Hammer fans like us out there, we won't give up the damn fight!
www.dvddrive-in.com
Oh, if only Anchor Bay owned all the Hammer films!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Hi Ben, love the petition, and I signed it months ago!
Thank you for your support George!
biggrin.gif

quote: I don't agree with you about Warner doing good with THE MUMMY -- basically a timely cash-in on the DVD release of the Universal blockbuster sequal. They see little value in their Hammer films in reality.
George, believe me, I wholely agree with you. The timing of the Mummy release is a blatant marketing scheme, absolutely. By "valiant effort", I meant the quality of the transfer. I'm happy with the shear fact that they put it out at all, for whatever reason. My praise was intended for the job done on the disc, not for the business practice. True, if it weren't for Brendan and the Mummy Returns, we would have had to wait even longer. I don't dispute that one bit.
As for more petitions... Let me see how the current one goes. I'm trying to wait till we get 500 sigs before I send it in, but it has lost a lot of steam the past month. Maybe with the release of the Mummy, we can get up to the goal.
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html
[Edited last by Ben Motley on October 25, 2001 at 04:00 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks