What's new

What would you buy? (1 Viewer)

JasonWUC

Agent
Hi all,
My wife and I are moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and I'm seeking advice for a new set of mains and a center channel. Currently I'm running two Def Tech BP-30s and a Def Tech CLR 2000 with three B&K 220Ms. I've gotten very tired of the unfocussed nature of the bipolar main channels and am looking for something in a bookshelf design.
A tower speaker will be OK, but I'd rather stick with a bookshelf.

My living room is of medium size with large openings to the kitchen, study, and formal dining. The system will be used for 80% movies, 15% rock, and 5% symphony/opera.

I would like to stay under $2K a pair for the two mains but, that is somewhat negotiable(with the wife.)I haven't listened to much since there isn't a whole lot here, in Arkansas. However, last weekend I went to one of our only higher-end audio dealers and listened to the B&W 705s, an the Paradigm Studio 40s. My listening material was some Mozart, Alice in Chains: Unplugged, APC: Mer de Noms, and Static-X: Shadow zone. While the 705's detail was great with the Alice in Chains and the Mozart, the high-end was extremely harsh with the APC. So much so, I'm not going to consider them in the future. I also didn't care much for the Paradigms but, that could have been due to the Receiver running it (sony ES). I might go back and see if they can either loan a pair to me or hook theirs up to a Rotel amp.

Currently I am looking at:
Thiel PCS
PSB Platinum M2
Energy V2.2i
Revel M20
NHT SB2, SB3
Monitor Audio Silver S2, S1, GR10
RBH 61-SE, 441-SE, 661-SE
Sonus Faber Concertos

Any suggestions? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I recommend Von Schweikert LCR-15's ( a "large" bookshelf), or V Schweikert's VR-1 traditional bookshelf.
I owned the Paradigm 40's, and sold them off after listening to the VR-1 bookshelf speakers.

Keep in mind I was inserting the VR-1's as SURROUNDS ! to see if they were all I had heard about them. I inserted them in the place of the 40's 'TO GIVE THEM A WEEK OF TRIAL' and was amazed with their enormous soundstage. The HF's were extremely accurate and smooth with absolutely zero the harsh/raspy Paradigm tweeter character due to their material metal design. IME, of course. I sold off my 40 mains shortly thereafter.

And the LCR-15's are the bigger brother of the VR-1's. I use three LCR-15's across my front stage. More bass punch here with the same liquid midbass as Schweikert's are known to exhibit.
Just an outstanding stand mounted speaker (make sure you have very solid stands) and one would be hard pressed to find an equal in this price range.
Don't know B&W 705, but if you disliked both then I recommend you give VSA a look.
I can provide a dealer who offers very good pricing ... and he can ship. The LCR list at $775 ea., and the VR-1's list at $1000. pr. I paid considerably less.

Good luck with it,
BOK

EAD Ovation+
5 IRD-MB-100 monoblocks

Scott_N

Second Unit
I also like the Von Schweikert's but if they don't have a dealer there then the Energy's would be a great choice. The V2.2i's are much smoother on the top end than the 40's or the B&W's and have a very nice midrange.

WPS

JasonWUC

Agent
Brian,
Thanks for the input. I know I have come across the VSA name before.....I probably dismissed it because I've never seen a pair of 'em. Whoops.

Do you Where would I be able to listen to a pair of Von Schweikerts in the Austin/Dallas/San Antonio, Tx area?

JasonWUC

Agent
Well, The closest VSAs are in Houston. Damn.

I listened to the Polk LSi9s today and found them to be great, initially. Then then sounded a bit thin in the middle. I liked the NHT CS1 better. I'll probably go back to audition the LSi9s and the NHT SB3s.

George Pr

Auditioning
I ended up buying the PSB Platinum M2 and C2 speakers after auditioning the PSB, B&W 700 and 800 series, Thiel PCS, Totem Forest, and M&K 700 and 800 series speaker systems. During my search, I was looking for a speaker that will perform well on home theater and audio applications, and the PSB M2/C2 met my needs. It has a great soundstage, very accurate, natural sounding, and solid bass. I love to listen to jazz and the clarity of the vocals are impeccable.

I have a 7.1 system with following configuration:

PSB Platinum M2 and C2
Sunfire Mark IV subwoofer
Mirage Omnisats for the surrounds
Denon AVR 5803 receiver
Denon 5900 DVD player

Good luck!

George

BillSune

Agent
hey,

I recently purchased LSi 15's for my fronts, they are towers but are a smaller tower that has an absolutely incredible sound. I also have the LSi 9's sitting at home as my rear channels. I used these speakers for my main speaker for a long time before I actually got ahold of my 15's. They sound great if you are looking for a bookshelf main. In any demo room at a store they are going to sound a little lacking. Once these are in your home you will be completely impressed.

Bill Suneson

Harman Kardon AVR 7000
Polk LSi 15
Polk LSi 9
Polk LSi Center

gregD

Second Unit
Your working list is very good. If you can, add:

Totem Acoustic
Dali
GR Research (online only)
Vandersteen

With speakers, audition as many as possible.

JasonWUC

Agent
Thanks for the info. I do want to hear some of the Totems as well as the Polk LSi9s. The LSi7s just seemed to break up when playing at above normal listening levels. There's a store in Austin that has the Sonus Fabers and the Vienna Acoustic Haydns. Road Trip!

Eric_Bender

Agent
If you are looking for a clean, neutral sound, check out the Boston Acoustic VR series. You will not be disappointed.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Jason, you should also listen to the NHT M5's and M6's. These will sound similar to the NHT SB3's but will move more air. So either 3 M5's across the front or M6's (for larger rooms).

JasonWUC

Agent
Thanks for the input. Boston Acoustic's website says there's a dealer here which carries their products. Funny....I don't remember seeing any BA stuff in there.

I had originally considered the NHT M5 or M6. They didn't make the cut because, for a while, I wanted to purchase 7 identical speakers. Now that I want to get only the front 3, I can consider the larger designs such as the M5 or M6. Thanks.

Well, I set a date to hit the Austin scene and listen to the above-mentioned (and more) speakers. Unfortunately, that date is in May. I'll be too busy moving into the new house to make this trip before then.

Oh yeah!
In this new house, I had originally planned to use the DeCorp flatwire to run my surrounds. So, Imeasured about how much I would need and, purchased a bunch of that (expensive) wire in order to install it once my wife and I close on the house. Well, while we were at the unfinished house today, I saw that the designer put up wood trim over an area where I would need to run the wire. There's no way around it and the wood trim is finished. Crap. I Should have run the in-wall wire when I had the chance.

JasonWUC

Agent
Everyone,
I finally bought new speakers. After listening to whatever I could find:

M&K S-150THX
B&W 705
B&W 805
Monitor Silver S1
Mirage Omnistat 60
Dali Evidence 370
Totem Rainmaker
Dynaudio 52SE
Dynaudio 1.3 SE
Vienna Acoustics Haydns
Sonus Faber Concertos
ACI Sapphire 25th Anniversary
Triangle
Polk LSi 7
NHT CS1
Paradigm Reference 20
Paradigm Reference 40
KEF Q1
Klipsch RB 15
Klipsch RB 25

At the very end of my search, I had to choose between the B&W 801 and the M&K s-150 THX. Test material between the two was "Down in a Hole" by Alice in Chains: Unplugged and LOTR: Moria.
The M&Ks were pretty good for music and great for LOTR. However, they couldn't produce a stable stereo image and the construction felt VERY cheap.
I loved the B&Ws for guitar and accuracy. I had the feeling I could hear every goblin's step. The problem with them is that the tweeter over-emphasized some sounds. Goblin arrows actually hurt my ears....and this was in a HT with carpeted walls. My home is a shade on the bright side. I just couldn't get past it.
Then I went and listened to the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts. I know they aren't bookshelves but, I wanted to give them a try anyway. I loved them. They were the first speaker in all listed above that I loved upon first listen. So, two Mozart's and a Theatro are on their way in Rosewood finish. Woohoo!!!

JasonWUC

Agent
Everyone,
I finally bought new speakers. After listening to whatever I could find:

M&K S-150THX
B&W 705
B&W 805
Monitor Silver S1
Mirage Omnistat 60
Dali Evidence 370
Totem Rainmaker
Dynaudio 52SE
Dynaudio 1.3 SE
Vienna Acoustics Haydns
Sonus Faber Concertos
ACI Sapphire 25th Anniversary
Triangle
Polk LSi 7
NHT CS1
Paradigm Reference 20
Paradigm Reference 40
KEF Q1
Klipsch RB 15
Klipsch RB 25

At the very end of my search, I had to choose between the B&W 801 and the M&K s-150 THX. Test material between the two was "Down in a Hole" by Alice in Chains: Unplugged and LOTR: Moria.
The M&Ks were pretty good for music and great for LOTR. However, they couldn't produce a stable stereo image and the construction felt VERY cheap.
I loved the B&Ws for guitar and accuracy. I had the feeling I could hear every goblin's step. The problem with them is that the tweeter over-emphasized some sounds. Goblin arrows actually hurt my ears....and this was in a HT with carpeted walls. My home is a shade on the bright side. I just couldn't get past it.
Then I went and listened to the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts. I know they aren't bookshelves but, I wanted to give them a try anyway. I loved them. They were the first speaker in all listed above that I loved upon first listen. So, two Mozart's and a Theatro are on their way in Rosewood finish. Woohoo!!!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Do you like your Def TEchs and plan on keeping them? If so why not go with Def Tech surrounds.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Do you like your Def TEchs and plan on keeping them? If so why not go with Def Tech surrounds.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
awesome choice for demo material.

i actual go out on a limb sometimes and use AIC down in a hold unplugged for some "unlikely" candidates at work. it works very well. very emotionally involving song.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
awesome choice for demo material.

i actual go out on a limb sometimes and use AIC down in a hold unplugged for some "unlikely" candidates at work. it works very well. very emotionally involving song.

JasonWUC

Agent
Right now I have all deftechs. BP30s, CLR 2000, and BP-1Xs. I just wanted a different sound than the deftechs could produce.

Anyone in the market for
2 Deftech BP-30s (8/10) ,
1 CLR 2000 (9/10),
4 BP-1X (9/10),
and a PF-15TL+ (10/10)?

JasonWUC

Agent
Right now I have all deftechs. BP30s, CLR 2000, and BP-1Xs. I just wanted a different sound than the deftechs could produce.

Anyone in the market for
2 Deftech BP-30s (8/10) ,
1 CLR 2000 (9/10),
4 BP-1X (9/10),
and a PF-15TL+ (10/10)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks