Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can i use a regular RCA cable for Digital Coaxial audio connection?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 JesseW

JesseW

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 02:27 AM

i doubt i can, but its worth asking. Ive got a temp DVD player that will use digial coaxial for sound and my receiver is able to hook up to this type of connection as well.

Can i use a regular RCA cable to capture this sound? Or am i stuck buying a new cable?

#2 of 4 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 02:33 AM

I’ve done it before and it works, but the general consensus among the knowledgeable members here is that it’s supposed to be a 75-ohm cable. It doesn’t have to be a specified “digital” cable; a cable designated for video signals will work fine and may be cheaper.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 4 JasonMA

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 02:33 AM

Technically you could use a standard RCA cable, but you really shouldn't. You'll get sound, but it may not be that great. A standard RCA cable has an impedance of around 50 Ohms. Digital Coaxial cable are rated at least 75 Ohms. It is suggested that you use cable of at least 75 Ohms for a digital connection.

Take a look at the home theater primer at the following link for more info. http://www.hometheat....hreadid=120328
Jason Mathews

My DVD Collection

#4 of 4 Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,298 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 04:21 AM

As long as you use the yellow RCA video cable, you'll be 100% fine.
WOOSAH!.