What's new

Can i use a regular RCA cable for Digital Coaxial audio connection? (1 Viewer)

JesseW

Grip
i doubt i can, but its worth asking. Ive got a temp DVD player that will use digial coaxial for sound and my receiver is able to hook up to this type of connection as well.

Can i use a regular RCA cable to capture this sound? Or am i stuck buying a new cable?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve done it before and it works, but the general consensus among the knowledgeable members here is that it’s supposed to be a 75-ohm cable. It doesn’t have to be a specified “digital” cable; a cable designated for video signals will work fine and may be cheaper.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Technically you could use a standard RCA cable, but you really shouldn't. You'll get sound, but it may not be that great. A standard RCA cable has an impedance of around 50 Ohms. Digital Coaxial cable are rated at least 75 Ohms. It is suggested that you use cable of at least 75 Ohms for a digital connection.

Take a look at the home theater primer at the following link for more info. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As long as you use the yellow RCA video cable, you'll be 100% fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks