What's new

What software to convert my CD's to MP3's? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What's the best/easiest software to use to take my collection of CD's and convert them to MP3's?

Of course I have CD Creator that can rip tracks, but then I have to manually rename "Track01.mp3" to something more sensible.

I have seen people with WinAmp playlists and I know Apple's IPod seems to some how figure things out - but my needs are simpler.

I just want to:

- Pop in a CD
- Have the software rip off all the tracks
- Have the same software look up the names of all the songs and re-name the files

or

- Have the software let my type/scan in the UPC barcode and it goes to the net to get the artist/album/song and names the files to match. (Yes, I have all the original CD's and jackets).

Ideally, each file would look like:

Artist - Album - Song Title.mp3

but I would be happy if I just got the song title automatically.

I know there is lots of shareware stuff, but I would be willing to go out and buy a CD Catalog software package for $50 or so if that would be more automated.

So what is popular/works well for this?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I use EAC, which is freeware, on the PC. When combined with the "LAME" plugin, it generates great quality mp3s.

It will do all of the above. One thing to note, the databases of CDs online aren't exhaustive or perfect, so you may occasionally have to type in the details yourself.

With EAC, you've got complete flexibility on what naming scheme/folder hierarchy you want to use.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I'll 2nd Brian, & especially if audio quality is a priority, EAC & Lame is the way to go. May be a bit confusing at first to set up, but very easy to use there after.

Here is a quick set up guide.
http://www.ping.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm

Also here is a very nice freeware tagging program that may be of interest. http://www.id3-tagit.de/
I'm still using an old version 2.something, but I have not
found a tagging program that I like better.

Todd

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
EAC and LAME provide the flat-out best sound quality, and they're free. Yes, it's tricky to set up initially, but then it's idiot proof after that.

When I'm home later I'll post some good resources, including a "profile" to load in EAC to automatically put your settings where they need to be.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Cool. Thanks guys. :)

I am a little worried about MusicMatch - it came on some computers and it was almost like a virus/tickler - hard to get rid of it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
CDEX
CDEX
CDEX
CDEX

Used it to do my whole collection, used R3Mix present, can do file name templates like you said, fuckin' rules. Gets data from CDDB, one click, and one click to rip.

I do mine as Artist/Year - Title/Track# - Title. Works wonderfully- creates the file names and does the ID3 tags for year, genre, whatever (useful for id3 exclusive players like the ipod!)

Has customizable jitter detection (very cool method in fact)-- will let you know if you got a clean rip- uses LAME as it's encoder (but can be configured to use other stuff)-- has the excellent R3Mix VBR preset as an option in the encoder settings, sweet. Perfect.

Can also rip to straight wav, or convert existing wav/mp3 using it's internal LAME based engine. Wonderfully simple UI, perfect.

Nothing better, period. If you want instructions on exactly how to configure nce you d/l, just post what you wanna do and i'll give instructions.

Perfect.

FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE

;)

-V

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
CDex is a very good ripper but if you have any scratched or even CD's with a lot of pressing problems....then EAC just does a better job of extracting those hard to rip CDs.

As far as a compression program..aka mp3 type...there is only one that's been worked on to get the best quality out of your rips. LAME...The work that's gone into this encoder is like no other.

For me,if I'm going to make an mp3, it's EAC and LAME.

If I have my druthers, I'd rather use MPC.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cdex!!!

it's *literally* the only program i use. it's simple, fast, and free. i've never had a single problem with it. i just love that bleepin' program....

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Okay Vince, can you let me/us know the key settings you use for ripping a CD? I followed the link given in this thread which is very useful and I just want to compare what you do. For example, following the other instructions, overall bit rate is high meaning higher quality but larger files. I always though 192 got you good results but these are coming out at 500+ (average from the VBR encoding I believe).

Thanks

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Neil:

I know you weren't asking me for my CDex settings, but here they are anyway:

Ripping method: Paranoia, Full

Encoder: Lame MP3 Encoder (version 1.32, engine 3.90 MMX)
Quality: --alt-preset standard (bitrate min 128 kbps/max 320 kpbs), on-the-fly encoding
VBR Quality: VBR 2
Output Samplerate: Auto

I find that these VBR settings provide a good compromise between file size and file quality. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks