What's new

Ever buy an Asian import TV boxset on Ebay? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I've been trying to fill some gaps in my Star Trek seasons and get some HBO sets for the wife, but prices are fairly high even on used Ebay sets.

After looking on Ebay, you can't help but notice the flood of cheap Asian TV boxsets.

Apparently, they will play in R1 and just have some Asian characters on the box...

Anybody every buy one these things? How did it work out?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Frank, just be sure that you aren't looking at pirated sets. If the price is too cheap look into it to make sure you are getting something legit. I would think that a google search should bring up a couple of hits on Japanese e-tailer sites.

Gord

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
These are bootlegs. The genuine Asian release would not be region-free. Also, it would probably cost more to import than it would to just buy the R1.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

That make sense, was wondering why these sets are 'region-free'.

Still amazed though, these sets (DS9 and Sopranos) practically out-number the legit sets.

Wonder why Ebay allows it, looks like a couple of guys are sell most of them.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Actually, the more I look at this guy's links, the more I think it might be a real Asian set:

EBAY LINK REMOVED BY OWNER - DO NOT REPOST

"Can play in USA, UK, Australia or Europe regular DVD Player"

I think what he's saying is that *you* have to have region-free player.

Anyway, I don't, so that's that.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Read the first line. Region code: All code....
I think that's bad English for "non region-encoded release". Also look at the coverart and check out some other auctions. The same set, with the 6 other seasons in similar-looking sets sell for less than $200.

This is definitely a pirate-release.

Luke Petschauer

Auditioning
Yeah, I've been very tempted by the DS9 sets for sale, but don't want to spend so much money on something that's almost certainly a bootleg. (Especially knowing that if I only knew where to do it, I could buy it for much less than what the seller's asking.) I've tried looking for Chinese etailers to see if the sets are legit, but my ignorance of the Chinese language makes using the websites very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks