-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Roy Disney supports Song of the South release - Eisner does not

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#1 of 176 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,119 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 29 2004 - 01:27 AM

Source

Roy Disney Supports Song of the South's Release

I recently contacted Roy Disney and Stanley Gold after learning of their decision to resign from Disney's Board of Directors. In my letter I pledged my full support and also took the opportunity to ask Mr. Disney if there was any information he could provide on Song of the South's status. He was kind enough to provide me with the following reply:

Dear Mr. Willis - thanks for letter of support, and I am sorry to tell you that this is yet another reason to do our best to move Eisner out. He has been - far quite a few years now - totally against (I think AFRAID is a better word) of re-releasing Song of the South, which happens to be one of my favorite of the old Disney films. A number of us have tried, for some time, to change his mind, to no avail.

So that's all I can tell you right now. It would be one of my first acts if I were to come back to the company!

Hope that helps, although I know it's not the best of news...

Roy

Needless to say, it is clear to see where the support lies in the release of this film! So, I highly encourage all of you to take action and support Roy Disney and Stanley Gold in restoring Disney to its original glory! Please take the time to visit SaveDisney.com and see how you can help. This is a crucial step in getting Song of the South released! SaveDisney.com has also kindly added SongoftheSouth.net to their links section.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 176 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 03:34 AM

Couldn't Roy instead have stayed at the comapny and just fired Eisner? What a prick that guy is.

#3 of 176 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,119 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Couldn't Roy instead have stayed at the comapny and just fired Eisner?

No. That was not a possibility.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 176 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 06:37 AM

Yes. Roy might be part of the family, but that doesn't and never did put him at the head of the company, which has been Eisner's job since 1984.

#5 of 176 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 08:26 AM

It appears that the stakes have been raised.

Would certainly be good to see SOTS released
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 176 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted February 29 2004 - 10:45 AM

This is good news. With all the institutional shareholders pledging to vote no on Eisner, I believe it's definite that he is outta there. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. It would be nice to be able to get SOTS next spring. I think that would be the earliest it could come out.

#7 of 176 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 04:19 PM

We really need to get rid of Eisner.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#8 of 176 luke_ha

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 09:34 PM

yes eisner has slowly eroded disney into a corporate mongrel. eisner must leave

#9 of 176 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 01:25 AM

On a related note...

Anybody notice on the awards last night all the Disney/Eisner bashing that took place? From jokes about boardroom fighting to talking about how the split with Pixar has basically left Disney with nothing but "a bunch of muppets and a waterslide".
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#10 of 176 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 01:49 AM

It would be nice to see Disney have the respectability it enjoyed when I was a child, and the direction they had only a few years ago in the way they were handling their DVD product.

So long Mr. Eisner.

#11 of 176 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:13 AM

As much as i hate eisner and i agree he has to go, I have to agree with him with his stance on Song of the South. This movie should not be seen by kids today period. I believe Roger Ebert is on record as saying it should not be seen again.

#12 of 176 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,119 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:15 AM

Aryn, if I were you I'd be getting some armor on to prepare for the counter strike by the film advocates of this board. Posted Image

#13 of 176 Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:20 AM

I have never seen Song of the South. What is the deal with it being released? What are the problems with the film that seem to cause anymosity towards it?

#14 of 176 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:21 AM

Who are you to tell us what films should or should not be viewed? It may very not be a very good children's movie, but we are adults here! I can think of films that are much worse than anything in SOTS! Let's try any of the Scary Movie films for starters.

#15 of 176 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:21 AM

Just two points.

Even if you restricted a film from being seen by kids (I can think of much better choices for that than Song of the South), you shouldn't restrict adults from seeing it, which is what Disney is doing.

This isn't some x-rated sex flick, or uber-violent film, it's a kids movie that has (or hasn't depending on who you ask) some elements that might be racist or troubling to some. This sounds much more like something that parents should decide whether to have their kids watcj, than having the decision forced upon them.

I know a woman who took her very young child to see Passion. I don't agree with that choice, but it's hers to make.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#16 of 176 Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
I believe Roger Ebert is on record as saying it should not be seen again.
Ebert may be a cinema authority, but his opinions are far from being the definitive truth.
Ask Warner for a DVD SE of Here Comes The Navy (1934)!

#17 of 176 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:28 AM

Brandon: Heh yeah i expect as much and they certainly will make valid points i'm sure. If there was a way to release it and not market it towards kids i would be all for it. But we all know if disney was to release this it would be aimed directly at children and parents would buy it for em.

As much as you don't ever wanna forget the past, there is enough hate in the world today that we don't need our kids watching this kinda stuff from disney no less. Times are different today, let me be clear i don't want the film destroyed or anything like that. Just keep it away from the children is my point of view.

#18 of 176 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:34 AM

Song of the South is not racist - it does not advocate the superiority of one race or present another race as inferior. It features ethnic stereotypes like many films from that period, but Remus is the smartest and most human character in the film. All the villains in the movie (aside from a mean ol' bull) are caucasian.

The word "racist" is a hand grenade too lightly lobbed about in today's discourse.

#19 of 176 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:37 AM

I believe Roger Ebert is on record as saying it should not be seen again.

I think he said that film school students should still be able to see it (or something like that). The exact quote is in another SOTS thread.

#20 of 176 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:40 AM

What's so bad about kids seeing this film? With a parent setting the proper context with discussion about slavery and how things have changed in America, it could actually be a very powerful film for kids to watch.

In an ironic way, the stories of brair rabbit and the gang actually *empower* african american history, by showing the personalities, wit, and humor of people who managed to live their lives and find joy and a positive outlook inspite of being opressed by poverty and an institution of enslavement. That's an explicative that reveals human dignity and, from this perspective, credits those indivials with the respect that they deserve.

In any case, parents and adults should have the right to determine their own perspective and how this film fits into their value system. In whatever way one individual may feel that this film is potentially destructive, another may see an equal potential for a powerful educational tool.

Quote:
Song of the South is not racist - it does not advocate the superiority of one race or present another race as inferior. It features ethnic stereotypes like many films from that period, but Remus is the smartest and most human character in the film. All the villains in the movie (aside from a mean ol' bull) are caucasian.

The word "racist" is a hand grenade too lightly lobbed about in today's discourse.

Agreed.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

Forum Nav Content I Follow