Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

M&K S-5000 THX Ultra system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Anish

Anish

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 04:56 PM

I have been browsing these forums for a while and have found a lot of useful information here... a lot of advanced HT ideas too! A while back I was considering the M&K S-5000 THX Ultra system... (S-5000THX, SS-500THX, MX-5000)... but when I looked at their site today, I noticed that this system is discontinued and nothing has taken its place to replace it.

My question is, am I missing something or does M&K not plan to replace that system, which from what I recall reading, had quite a lot of power.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Anish

Anish

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 04:56 PM

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 08:03 PM

Anish

The M&K 5000 was one of the best THX systems around, however, the sub did not perform well compared to other top line subs. Now with great subs like SVS and HSU, the M&K sub does cannot keep up with subs half the price of the M&K's $2,900.

Also, doe you have a separate system for music? While some find all-THX speakers fine for music, others find it somewhat lacking.

Never the less, the 5000 series were a premier THX set. As far as plans to replace the 5000, give M&K a call.

Artie

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 09:57 AM

Uh, someone is on drugs and either needs to stop or needs to share! :-)

The MX5000MkII is perhaps one of the finest subs to grace our planet. M&K has been making some rather large changes to their product line and that may be the reason they are updating their systems.

To say the sub underperformed other comparably priced subs means only one thing: you've never heard that sub. I not only have one - but have owned the much vaunted SVS and sold it for this. There's no comparison, simple as that.

The 5000 system was one of the premier systems on the market. I am certain M&K is replacing it with something even more incredible.
M&K 750 (F,C), M&K SS150 (S), M&K MX5000MkII (Sub)

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 08:13 PM

Well I currently own the S5000 THX system and I absolutely love them. As for the sub I changed that to a SVS B4+ and have never looked back. Not to say that the M&K wasn't good but it had it's limits and the SVS is just another level. I wont be changing my speakers for some time their brillant for both music and movies IMO.Posted Image It's a pity that you can't buy them anymore and theres no reviews of them either that I could find on the net. So I just bought them without hearing them same as I did with the B4+ and I'm happy.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 11:12 PM

Quote:
The 5000 system was one of the premier systems on the market.

I've heard the 5000 sub; excellent bass and well finished/built.

Quote:
but have owned the much vaunted SVS and sold it for this

And the SVS model was.....?
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

Forum Nav Content I Follow