What's new

5 Steely Dan SACDs on 6/22 (1 Viewer)

David Head

Second Unit
High Fidelity Review says that Universal Music's MCA label has announced plans to release 5 Steely Dan classics June 22 on SACD, including Aja! The other four will be:

Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Pretzel Logic
The Royal Scam

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands, so I'll be buying all 5.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
So we should see these on DVD-A around 12/04 if Universal keeps up the trend of releasing the DVD-As about 6 months later.

That's a curiosity for me, since most of the Universal titles are getting mixdowns @ 24/96K to begin with.

Cheers,

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'll probably pick up all of them except Pretzel Logic. I just couldn't get into Pretzel Logic but the others are all fantastic albums.
Edit-eh the more that I think about it, Pretzel Logic would be worth it just for Night by Night so I'll probably get it too.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've got the quad vinyl mix of Pretzel Logic, I look forward to comparing.

I wish the DVD-As would come out sooner. I wonder if Sony is paying Universal for a 6-month exclusive.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I should be jumping up and down with joy but........
My Gaucho SACD is close to being "unplayable" due the flaking and cracking. Plus it would be cool to have all of one artist on one format...so I'm going to try to wait till the DVD-A's come out.
What is the real reason Universal waits to release DVD-A's?
Is it all time it takes for the extra's?? Or as Mike thinks Sony's deep pockets to have a 6-month exclusive period??

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

It could be about maximizing sales for each format too ;) By having a fairly long spread you'll have those that purchase for SA-CD, DVD-A and those that are crazy enough to buy both!

Cheers,

David Head

Second Unit
Steve,

I've read about people having problem with cracking and flaking, but I've yet to have that happen on the more than 50 Hybrid SACDs I own. I must be lucky...

Rachael,

I'm also surprise that Can't Buy A Thrill isn't on the list. I can't think of a reason why that's the only one left off the list...

David

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

David, I have 22 Hybrids and 4 (DSOTM,Police hits,P.Gabriel Up and Gaucho) have cracked and flaked. This is why I'm not too keen on buying the SACD's when a DVD-A version will be released. Having said that I'll wind up getting the 5 in June ;) So maybe John is right I'm crazy...For Steely Dan

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
BTW....
Did they find the missing multi-tracks for AJA?? Or will they do a "fake" 5:1 mix on the songs that are/were missing?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

You have to ask Universal why SA-CD first.

It is within the realm of possibility that UMG releases these on hybrid SA-CD and DualDisc simultaneously. They haven't done this historically, but things change.

Cheers,

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
If UMG release those titles same day DVD Audio/sa-cd, it would be the end of sa-cd and Sony knows that; that's why Sony are keep paying UMG good american $ :) I don't think they prefer Yen - but then again I could be wrong.

Look at this way, if you can choose between an album with extra stuff and no extra stuff for the same price, which one would you choose? It's NO brainer! :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This is fantastic news. I'm a big Steely Dan fan and will pick up all of these.

:rolleyes:Yeah right...

There is enough demand to keep Super Audio alive for years as a niche format. With all the good jazz and classical titles coming out I would be fine with that. :)

I think that SACDs sell in more units than DVDA so Universal is probably just guilty of maximizing profits.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee says:

But can you demonstrate it with any concrete numbers that are meaningful? The only valid comparison is one where it's SA-CD media only vs. DVD-Audio. Otherwise, you have the unknown qty of CD purchases with hybrids.

I don't disagree about maximizing profits, certainly UMG (and all the other labels) are in it for the potential of profits.

Cheers,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The only thing approaching a first-hand claim that I have heard was somebody who worked for a big retailer (Best Buy) who claimed that pop/rock DVD-A typically outsells pop/rock SACD.

I think it was at the Hoffman forum but I didn't save a link.

Of course, that wouldn't include stealth discs marketed as CDs.

Personally, I think this would make a lot of sense, since there's about 100x as many people who could listen to the (lossy) surround on a regular home theater setup.

Universal's commitment to DVD-A only seems to be increasing at this point.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I don't think you can make that statement when (1) releases remain very slow, and (2) they are releasing them many months after the Super Audio discs of same title.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see some real RIAA figures on redundant-inventory SACD versus redundant-inventory DVD-A, especially for comparable pop/rock releases. Any out there?

Even better, how about for the same title released in both formats.

Or just take the total number of pop/rock SACD releases in 2003 (don't include the tiny number of releases that are marketed as CD: Dylan, Stones, Police, DSotM) and calculate the average sales volume per SKU. Do the same for DVD-A, then compare. Until (at least) numbers like this are available, everything else is just spin.

A year ago, I wouldn't expect to see any DVD-A of a popular Universal title, catalog or otherwise.

A few months ago, Universal started announcing some titles. They were slow in coming.

At this point, the pace has been picked up and buyers now assume that virtually any new high-res Universal will be released in DVD-A, even if not immediately.

No amount of spin doctoring will effectively refute that Universal DVD-A support is increasing.

As far as having to wait a few months for DVD-A titles, I think we all know why that is the case. ;)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen

Bravo Michael you got my point! :emoji_thumbsup: I simply don't understand why some people like Lee keep "thinking" the world is otherwise?? Or try to make me look foolish - why not tell me what's wrong my picture instead...

I simply don't care how much sa-cd maybe is selling more than DVD Audio. The truth is nobody knows if it's, for the cd layer or sa-cd layer (or both!) - not even Ole Lund Christensen. everbody who knows about marketing, knows how to twist things around, so they can hug oneself. It's about money talk; Sony owns sa-cd (with Phillips) and who owns DVD Audio??? That's right - nobody (except that DVD Forum has voted for MLP over sa-cd/dsd way back) and I simply don't follow Sony's footsteps.

No matter how we discuss music; it will always be a personal taste! But what I am always saying is - I want more for my money; that's why I see DVD Audio as the choosen format.

Thank you

David Head

Second Unit
I started this thread to announce new Steely Dan releases to fans. If you want to debate DVD-A vs. SACD, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David, made my day. Aja is on my short list of Perfect Albums Ever of All Eternity in the Universe, so I'll be getting this and all the rest

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks