-

Photo
- - - - -

confused about connections for dvd-a and sadc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   jason maxwell

jason maxwell

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 10:08 AM

Before I started reading this forum I bought the black album on dvd-a and played it through my sanyo dvd player to my rca receiver via optic cable.All my speaker symbols lit up as it started to play and I thought it sounded great.But after reading the forums for a couple of days alot of people say you have to use 6 cables to connect to be able to listen to dvd-a or sadc.
The big question is ,am I hearing the real deal or is it some type of layer?
Thanks ,Jason

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 28 2004 - 12:21 PM

If you're listening through the optical cable, you are listening to the Dolby Digital or DTS track, since it's showing all speakers lit up. This is like the audio in a movie or a concert dvd, such as The Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" concert dvd.
To listen to the High Resolution 5.1 surround tracks of a dvd-a or sacd, you MUST have the 6 analog cables out from dvd player into the 6 analog inputs on receiver. Then you use the Multi-channel selection on receiver(Denon uses EXT. IN), instead of dvd selection.If your dvd player doesn't have the 6 analog outputs on the back, then it's not capable of playing the HiRes 5.1 surround tracks of dvd-a or sacd. And, your receiver has to have the 6 analog inputs too.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 03:18 PM

This being the "basics" area, how much better is DVD-Audio vs., say, Dolby Digital?

Thanks!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 04:33 PM

Very significant! you *MUST* use 6 analog cables to take advantage of the high-res on SACD/DVDA. Otherwise you are NOT listening to MLP/DSD, only the lossy DD/DTS tracks.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 05:24 PM

You didn't mention if your player was DVD-A capable. AFAIK Sanyo doesn't make one so the best you're going to get right now is the DD or DTS track you've been listening to.
~Brian

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted February 28 2004 - 06:22 PM

You can get the Pioneer DV 563A at Best Buy or Circuit City pretty cheap. It plays both dvd-a and sacd discs! Circuit City had it on sale a week or so ago, for about $135...........
Good luck!

It's well worth the upgrade to the Pioneer.... Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 03:30 AM

2nd that.

Bought it at best buy two weekend ago, along with the Black Album (and 3 Doors Down). I now own around a half dozen DVD-A and SACD titles. The player was 150. Good deal if you concider it's about 1/4 the cost of the next lowest priced model, and those of us that can't build multi-thousand dollar systems probably won't be able to hear the difference.
Before you make the purchace, make sure your reciever has analog ins.
It's also a decent DVD player. I switched from a Samsung p231 and the colors looked a lot better on my philips widescreen 30" HD. Bit sharper too, i'd say.

Disclaimer: all assesments in previous post were made by a relative 'newbie'.

Take it easy. Let us know how everything works out.