What's new

Schindler's List "broken plexiglass case" thread - (1 Viewer)

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
This is just for fun...

I received my copy of the Schindler's List SE today (gotta love forum sponsers...);)

Anyway, the set comes inside a larger tinted plexiglass case - the front is imprinted with the title, the back with a portion of "the list". The contents of the SE are in a slipcase that is held in place by metal support poles - all-in-all a cool presentation.

However, as you can imagine, the plexicase isn't exactly "break-proof" - I guess that's been anticipated and there are a couple of styrofoam pieces included to help with shipping. But, low-and-behold, my case arrived damaged - nothing major, but a crack is a crack...:frowning:

So, I thought it might be interesting to see if others who obtain the set thru mail order have their plexiglass arrive intact - or not!

Might be one of those times it's better to buy in-store so you can check out the goods first - for the record, my set was well-packed and padded so I don't blame the retailer (the USPS is the USPS, afterall...).

Otherwise, the set looks good - my senitype is the the red-dress girl during the polish invasion. The "coffee table" book is only the size of the slipcase - won't exactly impress your friends if you leave it out (it contains photos from the movie)...

Enjoy! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I knew that case would be trouble. What is the packaging of the regular edition supposed to be like? I will probably end up purchasing that because the gift set doesn't have any extra DVD content.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Another one for purchasing the regular WS version solely because there is no extra DVD content. I'm trying to picture in my head what the packaging for the gift set looks like from what you describe, but I just can't.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
The plexiglass case, although unique, does seem to beg the question: "why?":)

I'm a sucker for these SE DVD's - mostly to get the senitype, book, cd...

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
All the on-line sites are showing the same content on the gift set and on the collector's set. I don't see any difference in either of them.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
The book is hardcover, measures about 5X7in., and is about 80pp. long.

Contains a Forward by Spielberg, 7-8pp. of production notes, the rest being stills from the movie.

Title - Schindler's List: Images of the Steven Spielberg Film

Curiously, published by "Newmarket Press" - part of the same outfit of The Passion fame?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It should be pointed out that this case is not made out of Plexiglas, which is much more durable and flaxible. If they were Plexiglas, they wouldn't be cracking.

This plastic is much more similar to the brittle plastic that CD jewel cases are mady out of.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
Not trying to be picky about this, but....

From the insert attached to the case comes this quote:

"Special Plexiglas Casing Designed Exclusively for This Gift Set"

From there, my ignorance of polymers only grows :b

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I stand corrected, but this sure doesn't feel like the Plexi that I've worked with. Maybe it's because it's so thin.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
Moving away from the materials engineering...

Any broken cases?

Doesn't look like the etailer has any "spares" lying around ;)

Silas Lesnick

Auditioning
I don't get why they didn't just make this case out of transparent aluminum. Sure, it'd take years to figure out the dynamics of such a matrix, but you'd be rich beyond the dreams of avarice...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ach, a strong case to buy this at a B&M rather than online for me. As is the case with Buffy and Angel season sets (which had a penchant for shattered disc hubs and scratched floater discs) it's worth the extra cost for me to have a B&M to exchange any damaged titles.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Some of my friends have recieved broken plexiglas cases. So the dealer has decided to send the edition in pieces instead.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
I just checked with the e-tailer - they have no replacements so they'll have to check with the manufacturer for replacements................{me holding my breath}....................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks