Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Are there any stores in Chicago that carry non-R1 discs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,498 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 01:29 AM

I live in the Chicago area and am looking for any stores that may carry DVDs from other regions. My main interest is in classic movies, horror and music (concert or videos). Any suggestions?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Brian F

Brian F

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted February 28 2004 - 06:49 PM

I am also interested in responses to this question. There are three that I know of. The prices are pretty high at all three, but they are cool to check out!

1) QED Laser, 502 E. Ogden, Westmont
They have a reasonable selection of alternate region discs, and tons of region 1 discs. From what I understand, they were a former laserdisc megastore.

2) Decade DVD, 4612 N. Lincoln Ave, Chicago/Lincoln Square
A store that specializes in cult films. I think the store is new because their inventory is pretty low. The place has potential.

3) Mitsuwa Marketplace, 100 E. Algonquin, Arlington Heights
A Japanese grocery store/market that has some alternate region anime DVDs.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,498 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Brian! QED sounds pretty good, I'll start there first. As a former LD buyer, I have no problem spending big bucks to get the stuff I want.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brian F

Brian F

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 05:56 PM

QED is definately the best of the three. They had some region-1 out of print stuff that I was surprised to see. I think you'll enjoy your visit! The prices are basically retail price, the same as what you would find at Suncoast/similar stores. Definately not at the level of laserdisc prices!