-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Response from District Manager of BlockBuster on OAR!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 of 106 OFFLINE   chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 09:06 PM

Possible good news everyone! The Warner Bros. representative I deal with weekly said that the recent amount of e-mail they have received regarding the widescreen debate is making them reconsider their full-frame only policy Posted Image.Good work everyone keep up the pressure.

Also if their are any HTF members in Victoria, BC, CANADA please write a letter expressing your concerns over full-frame DVD's, and if possible bring them to me at my store, I work at A&B Sound(contact me via e-mail if you need address), and I will personally hand them to Warner Brothers representative for Western Canada on her next visit. If anybody else would like me give her their letters contact me and I will see what I can do.

#102 of 106 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

• 1,833 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 08:08 AM

That's great news! Let's keep up the good work. Remember, emails are fine, but written letters get more attention!
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#103 of 106 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 08:33 AM

That's great news! Let's keep up the good work. Remember, emails are fine, but written letters get more attention!

With the anthrax scares that are going on at the moment, media companies are being VERY cautious about regular US mail. An actual written letter with stamp might have been the best bet a month aga, but I think at this moment in time, fax and email may be the best bets for getting heard.

"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#104 of 106 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 06:49 PM

Okay, I've related to all of you the experience I had at Best Buy with being told that "there's no such thing as a widescreen tv", and being refused a raincheck on WS Cats & Dogs. How I dropped a letter to BB's HQ, and cc:ed it by hand to the store mgr.

I also related how the mgr called me up, apologized, and offered me a $5 discount (the amount of the savings on C&D) on any other movie I wanted.

Today I got the reply from their HQ:

Dear Mr. Lambert,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact the Best Buy Corporate Headquarters. We have received your letter dated Octover 20, 2001. Please allow me to respond accordinly (sic).

First, I would like to thank you for the wonderful comments that you have included in your letter. I beleive that good experiences, such as the one you describe receiving at our store, are the goal of our company and an indication of the level of customer service that we strive to provide every customer. When our customers are moved to share positive experiences, Best Buy is understandable (sic) proud of the efforts put forth by our in-store personnel. I will certainly forward your comments onto (sic) the General Manager of the Memphis (#171) store.

However, I was sorry to read that we did not have the widescreen version of "Cats and Dog" (sic) available for you to purchase during your last visit. We recently advertised this DVD, however, the manufacturer made an error in the production/shipping and we only received the pan-and-scan version and none of the letterbox versions. The error has been noticed and we should be receiving some of the letterbox versions in a couple of weeks. I certainly do apologize for this delay.

Thank you again for taking the time to write. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you better in the future. With this aim in mind, I will be sending you a $25 Best Buy gift certificate in a subsequent mailing. Please use this during your next movie purchase! We do appreciate your patronage and hope you will continue to make Best Buy your first choice in consumer electronics.

I am more than pleased at this response, naturally. I will take the explanation as to the delay in C&D WS with a small grain of salt, as "BB's side of the story"; we've yet to hear WB's. However, instinct tells me that the problem is either with WB or their manufacturer (WAMO), since it's so widespread. They didn't need to offer me any kind of compensation, and I doubt that this will be their response for everybody. But I'll be happy to spend it, perhaps on the Dirty Harry box set coming out soon. Posted Image In the meantime, I will say that I'm disappointed that their letter did NOT address the OAR issue at all, the training issue at all, or deal with the issue of employees stating untruths in order to make a sale. It was a good response, but addressing these concerns would have made it even better.

I'm going to see what happens going forth. As my experience at BB this afternoon (before getting their letter) reminds me, they're the best guys around right now. Price is NOT always perfect, but they try the hardest and are generally the nicest/most attentive. Selection is terrific, though they don't have everything (nor even have everything on release date...I'm still waiting to find Masters of the Universe and Dean Koontz's Servants of Twilight). But they still do pretty darn good...at least at this location, and at least as far as their HQ has just shown me. Posted Image

Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#105 of 106 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

• 1,090 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 09:31 AM

FYI, I'm posting the following message from a Blockbuster store manager who is awaiting membership with HTF and wanted to share his view.

Hi guys!

Whomever this Blockbuster guy is, he surely doesn't sound like a district manager. I am a store manager for BBV in Ct and I and even most of my staff no better than to give out the obviously flawed info that he did.

If the truth be told, no matter how unfortunate it may be,
the reason that Mummy Returns was supplied on pan and scan for rent was because most renters still do not wish to watch with "black bars" on their screens.

You would not BELIEVE the # of members who have returned DVDs to me stating that they are defective because there was a black line on their tv screen. We at store levels everywhere are trying like yourselves to educate our members on a daily basis as to the benefits of widescreen format.Don;t be harsh on the big guys...they supply that
which will turn a profit keep pushing widescreen and times will change.

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 30, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

#106 of 106 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 06:59 PM

wrong thread. [Edited last by Rob T on October 30, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users