What's new

TV on DVD-18 for hour long dramas... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
How do you feel about it?

I believe that ER has been released on DVD-18 and I read that the upcoming season of LAW & ORDER will be released on the same format. This certainly is different to have the 3/4 disc set over the tradtional 6/7 discs sets that come with Season long sets!

I'm wondering how you all feel about TV released on DVD18? I personally kinda like the idea of it from a space standpoint as it takes up less space and I like the smaller packaging. I hate having to stretch out all 6 discs of my NYPD BLUE box set just to watch one disc!

What are your thoughts?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I like the idea, especially for shows that have large numbers of shows per season (i.e. older shows, which may have as many as 36 shows per season).

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'd have to say I'm not a huge fan of the idea. I don't really care for dvd-18's, just seems like it's that much more likely to get scratched. And when you consider that they could package discs in something like the slim 6's that are available, it's not like shelf space is the dictating factor.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I don't mind. Although the pacakage price is not really driven significantly by the number of discs in the set (from a technically standpoint) It is good not to have to deal with as many discs. "24" S2 was kind of a pain in the ass with a 7 disc digipak.

I know that many don't like DVD-18 for it perceived susceptability to damage, but it's not like the damn thing falls apart the second it is exposed to air. Just handle them carefully and you'll be fine. All discs are susceptable to damage. Therre is plenty of DVD-10 on the market that has the same dual sided properties, but it's always DVD-18 that is the scapegoat.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I have never scratched a DVD at all, either a regular disc or a double-sided. And I like the smaller sets. Actually, West Wing and ER could have been only 3 discs instead of four, and the Friends sets would fit on two discs sets (seeing them all in 2-disc amarays would be nice).

The slim packs aren't space savers for box sets anyway. Roswell in the slim packs takes up more room than Buffy in the digipack.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I was thrilled with the Roswell packaging... thank goodness those fold-out digipacks seem to be getting phased out. They're a pain.

I'd rather take up more shelf space (and believe me I don't have a lot to spare!) than worry about my DVDs getting scratched in digipacks, and waste time folding and unfolding the damn things.

The digipacks actually end up costing me more shelf space! Since I don't find it convenient or secure to leave DVDs in the digipacks, I've taken all my Buffy, Angel, Dawson's Creek and Little House on the Prairie DVDs out and put them in jewel cases. Which means I need to make extra room for the cases and for the empty digipacks.

Sorry to get a little off-topic there... um...I dont know much about DVD-18. I guess I don't have any objections. :) I'd handle them with care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks