Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cat Power/Chan Marshall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 08:12 AM

I somehow missed out on this artist-who has several albums out already, but I've listened to a couple of songs after a recommendation on a Fiona Apple fan site & I love what I've heard.

Can someone who's more familiar with her recommend an album to start out with and similar artist recommendations would be great too.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   James_P_Clark

James_P_Clark

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 09:27 AM

Not the biggest Cat Power fan in the world so take my opinion as such. I'd get Moon Pix and Your Are Free first and see if you think it's worth grabbing the balance. FWIW, You Are Free was my 10th favorite of 2003 and it fared a lot better on many critics lists. I'll tell you right here and now that you can forget the Cover album completely, it's a terrible dog. Also I'm not sure that I can recomend a live show. Chan is meltdown just waiting to happen. From what I've read, my experience wasn't all that unique.

As for others, I dunno, maybe Kristen Hirsh of Throwing Muses? And for fun, although perhaps a bit of a stretch, Poe and Beth Orton. Beth Orton is pretty much my fave among female performers although your mileage may vary!

jc

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 05:39 PM

Moon Pix and You Are Free are good places to start.

Other similar artists? Get The Blackened Air by Nina Nastasia.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnE

JohnE

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 05:39 AM

Moon Pix is one of my favorites. Her most recent, You are Free is also fantastic.