Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Want reference material? Look no further than Spy Kids, simply awesome!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 11:45 AM

Just rented it and boy am I impressed! It looks gorgeous, better than anything I've seen before. I am talking great detail, superb contrast and black level, and color saturation is perfect very vivid yet never over done. I am playing this movie at 8' wide and let me tell you, if all DVDs looked this good I can live without HD DVD for a long time. BTW my projector is LCD (SonyW400Q) and that means not very good blacks but with this movie it always deliver great blacks..I was stunted. Ok...deep breath...ready.
I may seem very excited but you should see it for yourself. Beats my previous reference DVDs by a mile. I am going shopping tomorrow Posted Image
Luis G.
Sales Rep
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 12:06 PM

I agree and I'm surprised you make no mention of the great audio quality of this DVD.
http://www.hometheat....ML/030450.html

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 12:42 PM

I was so impressed with the video that I forgot about the Audio which is also superb. Its just that I never thought DVDs could look this good...and to think that FinalFantasy looks so bad is unacceptable.

Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 09:03 PM

I agree with Spy Kids, which I bought having not seen it in theatres, but was bugged by my kids into buying it. What a cool flick.

I don't understand your comments on Final Fantasy and can assure you that any probs you are having with how it looks will be the result of what you are watching it on, and how you have the equipment set up. From 8 feet, FF on my Wega 36" played on a Denon 1000 DVD player, I see absolutely no scan lines. The blacks are deep and rich, no EE, and startling clarity all around.
Peter

My Collection

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Todd_Peter

Todd_Peter

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 09:38 PM

Spy kids was super duper!

Peter, it isn't Luis Gabriel Gerena's equipment. See the "'FINAL FANTASY' dvd, absolutly INCREDIBLE!" thread in this forum. Several people share his opinion on the DVD transfer. Including me. You just don't happen to be one of them.

FF:TSW can be an excellent transfer at times but can be equally below what was expected at others.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 01:00 AM

Peter, FF is pretty bad due to lots of noise, mosquito or whatever you want to call it. At 8' from a 36" maybe is not noticable (I am going to check with my Toshiba 36") but at 11' from a 8' wide image, it is. If it was my equipment then why movies like T5E, Spy Kids, Gladiator, etc, look so good? The display and viewing distance many times help hide artifacts in dvd transfers. For instance, SWTPM has lots of EE but in a 27" even knowing where the EE was visible I couldn't see while on my 36" is easily visible at least from a near distance. I know the image is not really that bad but the thing is that it should have been a lot cleaner.
I also, agree with Todd that SWTPM has some very nice looking scenes and some others are not as good, like when they start the engines in the Pod racing scene...that looks aswesome.
I found that near the end there are some not as perfect shots on Spy Kids but overall is a superb transfer and a keeper if only for visual demo and after calibration tests.
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   andreasingo

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 02:48 AM

I'm I wrong, or was Spy Kids shot with a digital camera? If so, the Spy Kids dvd is another example of the advantages of that. I think it would be relatively simple to create a perfect looking dvd from a pure digital source.
Andreas Ingo

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 06:56 AM

Luis Gabriel Gerena - I agree 100%. Which is one reason I posted 15 digital pic's from my Toshiba 50H81 on Septemeber 18th after the DVD release!

Phil

------------------
Posted Image My HT Enthusiasts Website

My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 29 2001 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
I'm I wrong, or was Spy Kids shot with a digital camera? If so, the Spy Kids dvd is another example of the advantages of that. I think it would be relatively simple to create a perfect looking dvd from a pure digital source.
You're wrong. Spy Kids 2 is being shot with the "Lucas" cameras. Spy Kids was shot on film. There was, however, a digital transfer done for it's digital screenings. I'd imagine this DVD was done from that (hense the lack of the Special Edition scenes). I agree about the picture and sound. Quite amazing.

------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 09:48 AM

I read somewhere that some parts were indeed film with digital cameras. I believe it was used for some of the FX shots...just dont quote on me on that Posted Image

Hey, thats a nice website and the screenshots look very good too. Good work!
Luis G.
Sales Rep
Perpetual Technologies

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 29 2001 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere that some parts were indeed film with digital cameras. I believe it was used for some of the FX shots...just dont quote on me on that
My mind's a little fuzzy, but I thought he made film test while filming Spy Kids.

Also, that reminds me: http://www.entertain....ds_review.html That's my review of the film, with screencaps.

------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 09:22 PM

The video portion of this disc is the best that I have scene to this posting. Amazing reproduction of colors. I did not feel any edge enhancement was used; the image was very filmlike playing over the S-VHS input. The sound was quite good too. The movie itself was so-so. The image quality of TPM dvd is different in some way and has its merits on some scenes, but SPY KIDS video seemed flawless from beginning to end.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Bane

Jeffrey Bane

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 01:25 AM

This disc *is* my reference disc from this point forward. I've not seen anything as near perfection to date.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben Crouse

Ben Crouse

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 05:42 AM

I'm surprised to hear you guys raving about the picture quality on the Spy Kids DVD, not that I'm doubting it. I've yet to see it for myself.

How does it compare with the Pixar DVD's? These have always been my reference discs. ...just wondering.

"Quick, help me prop up vegetable man or we're done for!"
-deluded Buzz, Toy Story 2

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 06:36 AM

I'm still waiting for the "Special Edition" that was expected to be released after the original. However, I did make a point to watch it on Showtime HD yesterday afternoon. It looked fantastic.

Is the "Special Edition" expected with the release of Spy Kids 2 or has it been shelved for the near future?

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 27 2002 - 06:50 AM

I believe the director said an SE would come out with the third film (as there's one planned).
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Bane

Jeffrey Bane

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 03:03 PM

Ben -

Aside from animation, it is the best I've seen. Bug's Life is a "10," but a 10 in animation. Spy Kid's is a 10 in the live action arena.

Jeff

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben Crouse

Ben Crouse

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted October 27 2002 - 03:34 PM

Jeffrey,

oh okay. that makes sense. i may have to pick up spy kids then, & round out my robert rodriguez collection.

...i wonder how the AOTC DVD will compare. (10+ i imagine) although you could argue that Clones belongs in the animation category too...

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted October 28 2002 - 02:05 AM

Don't understand the hype. Horrible edge enhancement. Heavy compression artefacts. Solid colors and delineation, though. About as mediocre a transfer as it gets. IMO.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Videophile.info (HD and DVD reviews, SPL measurements, my HT in action...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben Crouse

Ben Crouse

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted October 30 2002 - 06:21 PM

Um... OK Bjoern. Maybe I'll just rent it first.

Anyone else want to chime in on Spy Kids' DVD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow