What's new

New Army of Darkness dvd info!!! (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Found this over at dvdreview.com.
Well this new Director's Cut release sounds like the same disc as the L.E.,only it will also have the features at where only on the theatrical version...documentary ect.
But it also said it would have 5.1 sound!!
So i was wondering if at all...could this be a remastered better quality edition than the previous one or still the same old muddy transfer? Maybe they went and added all the additional scenes into the theatrical print,so that the movie looks better, for the most part,while the deletted footage still has rough quality?
+ the original DC release was in 2.0 only since the materials used,wheren't in great shape ect,which is why i had the above idea^ since a 5.1 track is supposed to be included. I hope we have word on this for sure,otherwise i'll just pass if it's the same old transfer.
The release is in November sometime.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I own the Limited Director's cut and the regular old Anchor Bay Special Edition. Owning a third copy of this movie makes me pause and reflect for a moment. However, if I hear a lot of good things about it here, especially a comparison to the LE DC, then I will buy it.
Thanks for the update though! I love this movie way too much.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
hmmm...
Universal DVD
2 Disc AOD:LE
1 Disc AOD:DC
Theatrical THX AOD
Bootleg DC
... theis must be some sort of record... 5 different releases for one film. I personally have the THX and DC discs and I am sticking with them... hopefully
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I e-mailed dvdangle.com (whom also ran this story) about the possibility of a cleand-up version (of the DC) and he stated that those were the best materials available, also that a full restoration would be necessary to fix it, though that is of course unlikely due to costs.
I don't know what his sources are, but it makes sense.
Jim
patriot.gif

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
quote:
-------------
hmmm...
Universal DVD
2 Disc AOD:LE
1 Disc AOD:DC
Theatrical THX AOD
Bootleg DC
--------------
er...add to that the Universal WS LD
and the Japanese DC LD aka "Captain Supermarket"...
and that doesnt include the tape versions!
------------------

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Talk about the law of diminishing returns. How many times are people going to keep buying this movie? I have the original widescreen LD (signed by Bruce Campbell!) and the 2 disc set Anchor Bay released 2 years ago. I'm done buying this movie.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm done buying this movie.
Anyone who has the 2-disc limited edition has no need to separately purchase the theatrical disc, the limited edition director's cut, or the bootleg disc. Anyone who has the theatrical disc and the limited edition director's cut has everything on the bootleg cut and the 2-disc limited edition, so there's no need to purchase those either.
There isn't a compelling reason for anyone to own more than two Army of Darkness discs unless they're completists looking for different covers or something. At least according to the database I'm consulting, the order of releases goes:
Army of Darkness: Theatrical (Universal) - 8/18/98
Army of Darkness: 2 disc LE - 10/12/99
Army of Darkness: Theatrical (Anchor Bay) - 10/12/99
Army of Darkness: Director's Cut - 7/25/00
Army of Darkness: Bootleg Director's Cut - 11/30/01
Although any comments on this are pure conjecture, I think this is less of a case of Anchor Bay trying to get fans to buy the same movie repeatedly than their gross underestimation of interest in the director's cut. If their main interest was in getting fans to buy the same movies repeatedly, wouldn't they add more compelling content? There's no difference between their theatrical release and the first disc of the limited edition, and the same goes for disc 2 of the limited edition and the separately released director's cut.
As for the bootleg director's cut -- what do they do? The limited edition release was a bad idea, but no matter what they do, someone's going to be pissed. If they don't release it, new DVD converts cry foul, saying that it's unfair that they're being denied the opportunity to own a longer version of one of their favorite movies. If they do re-release it, the people who bought what they thought was a limited edition complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. In fairness to Anchor Bay, the video quality of the director's cut is so bad that I wouldn't expect much demand either, which may have been why it received such a limited release initially.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Probably the most amusing part of this whole debate is that while no one wants to finance a sequel since there is "not enough interest", I don't think that a non-PD title has ever received more separate releases on DVD!
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
MGM, who owns the international rights, is restoring the DC as we speak (and no, they're not using Bruce Campbell's tapes like AB did, but real film elements). It's not on their release slate yet, but why go through all the trouble and not release it sooner or later. That's doesn't help you guys in Region 1 though, where Univeral still holds the rights.
Mathias

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Will the New version include the audiocommentary that is present on the disc released a year ago!?!?
Does anyone know?!
In that case, i´ll sell mine now and buy the new one later.
smile.gif

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
MGM, who owns the international rights, is restoring the DC as we speak (and no, they're not using Bruce Campbell's tapes like AB did, but real film elements). It's not on their release slate yet, but why go through all the trouble and not release it sooner or later. That's doesn't help you guys in Region 1 though, where Univeral still holds the rights.
Wait, where did you hear about this? If it is true, it's great news. I love this movie and was disappointed that so many of the extra scenes in the Anchor Bay director's cut were of such bad quality.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"
[Edited last by Richard_Huntington on October 18, 2001 at 04:51 PM]

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I have no plans of picking up this disc either way as I'm happy with the theatrical and directors cut discs I already own. My question is about the release date. I've heard a number of dates including 10/23 and 11/30. The thing is Canadian etailer CNL - http://www.cnl.com
DVDPlanet and every other site I've seen lists it as 11/30. Is it possible that Canada is getting something early for once. I'd doubt the date if there were no copies in stock but CNL's stock listing is always accurate.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Richard -
I was taking part in a discussion about AOD over at www.mhvf.net and a guy from MGM emailed me and told me that it was in the works. Might be a while until it comes out. They allegedly have everything together but a small part with the "little Ashes" which they're still looking for.
I can't wait either!
Mathias

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. That is amazing news. Thank you so very much! My Nephew is going to have a premature heart attack when I tell them this! He has one of those modified region free players, so it it comes out somewhere else, he'll be sitting pretty. I'll have to get a region free player too if MGM releases it in another region.
I hope whoever emailed you is not yanking your chain!
eek.gif

------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
OK. I don't get it. I have no version of AoD on DVD. I am looking to get one. When I say ONE, I mean ONE!
So which is the one to get?
THe Bootleg edition is obviously going to be the most available one.
I've seen every other edition on ebay.
There is some limited edition 2-disc edition(4,000 copies) which are going for over $100 on ebay. What are those?
There's the 2-disc LE Director's Cut with Ash with his arms raised on the front.
THere's the Scremaing AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH Ash one. Which one is that?
Then I see this bare-bones one with the standard movie poster on the front at the store. So which is the good one?
IS there another version coming? Is it better? I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It's odd that there's no mention of this title on Anchor Bay's very informative site. I have this funny feeling that the bootleg: DC is going to be a simple re-pressing of the limited DC.
Adam... The barebones (and non-anamorphic) version with the theatrical poster as the cover should probably be avoided. The 2 disc LE should also be avoided due to the price in the second-hand marhet. The remaining two are single disc versions of the 2 discs in the LE... Absolutely no differences apart from packaging. The one with Ash with his arms up in the air is the DC which is a longer version with some cool supplements, but the transfer is pretty crappy. The "Ash Screaming" cover is the THX anamorphic 5.1 DD theatrical cut. Take your pick. (can't comment on the bootleg since no one really seems to know what it is).
[Edited last by Jack Harasta on October 27, 2001 at 08:58 PM]

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Exactly. It's just a different cover. Fans who are screaming "How many times do I have to buy this!" should calm down a little. It's Anchor Bay's licensed property (for the moment, at least) and it's their option to maximize their investment as much as they need to. It's the same 'Director's Cut' release as seen previously on the two disc set, so there's no need for fans to feel compelled to buy it again if they already have it. (I'd actually smile if a few did, however, since it would give Anchor Bay more bucks to spend on sleazy Euro titles like EMANUELLE IN AMERICA).
Very curious to hear of MGM putting up their hand for a future restoration. Isn't ARMY OF DARKNESS a Universal title? Still, with each respective studio's treatment of genre titles at the moment, AOD would probably be in better hands with MGM than Universal...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks