What's new

Price Reduction and All, Should I get the DC (1 Viewer)

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
I have pre-ordered the Gamecube, but at $79.99 should I take a flier on the Dreamcast?
I haven't bought a system since the PSX about 6 years ago. I decided to go with the Gamecube because I have a 5 and 3 year old that will take advantage of their characters for younger children. It also looks as though they will be carrying more titles geared to adults.
I know Sega will be making games for the Gamecube so should I even be thinking of getting a DC?
Can anyone give me some reasons on why to get a DC if I am 100% sure I will be getting a Gamecube............

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes. The DC has some great games that everyone should play. But if you are getting a console for kids, you might want to just get them each a GameBoy Advance instead. DC doesn't have as many children games as much as it has regular games that have childish graphics or bright colors. A lot of the more kiddie DC games were puzzle games, which aren't really kiddie games. Buy a DC for yourself and not the kids. The GCN will have some games like Luigi's Mansion, but those aren't aimed at children rather than just being aimed at everyone. Look around for some announced titles, and don't get an XB or PS2 (barely any kiddie games for either).

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.........
The DC would definetly be for me. My 5 year (And I of course ) Have the GBA.
The Gamecube will be for all of us. I will take the most advantage of both consoles given the kids young age and all.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
OK, a few obvious reasons to get a Dreamcast are that you should be able to pick up a machine along with copies of Crazy Taxi, DOA2, Rayman 2 and Quake 3 for around about the price of just buying those games for the Playstation 2! At the silly price they are now, they are a great bargain.
edit: I forgot to mention that I failed to notice any real difference in the quality of those games either. The first three are just about identical, and Quake 3 its a debate as to whether the extra modes on PS2 are more worthy than the Dreamcast's mouse and keyboard support.
[Edited last by Iain Lambert on August 20, 2001 at 04:08 AM]

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Will Sega continue making games for the DC? I know Sega called it quits but will they support this console and for how long?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Lessee, reasons to buy a Dreamcast.....
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Rayman 2
  • Tony Hawk 1
  • Tony Hawk 2
  • Dead or Alive
  • Soul Calibur
  • Grandia II
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
  • NFL 2k2
  • Crazy Taxi 1 & Crazy Taxi 2
  • Jet Grind Radio
Those are just a few that I could think of off the top of my head. :)
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Since you asked about the GameCube, I thought I would mention that Nintendo announced the memory cards at about $12 at launch. The price in america should be similar, so I would assum $15. That is the CHEAPEST memory card price anywhere, so at the launch, you could get a GCN, a game, a memory card, a second controller, and all for less than $300.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They are $5 after the console has been out for 5 years. At launch, they were more than $20. Also, the GameCube memory cards hol 59 pages of data, and the most amount of data required for a launch title is 12 pages, some need only 3. For the price of 2 PS2 memory cards, you can get 5 GCN memory cards with money to spare. I think $300 for a console, game, extra controller, and a memory card is a good deal (for the GCN), compared to $300 for just a console (for the X-Box), even if the graphics aren't as good.

Bryce D

Grip
I cant really add anything, becuase msot of it has already been said.
But what i will do is support what everyone has said, and agree that its really worth getting a DC. Its a VERY fun system. And well worth $80 to get one, IMHO.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think its weird that a console drops in price $120 after less than 2 years. Nonetheless, its still got some great games and is worth the $80.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
By all means get a DC! You won't regreat it cause it has a superb library and for the cheap price most games are going its really a steal. My collection is growing huge right now since I am now buying some of the games I didn't buy before due to economical restrictions and let me tell you most DC games are awesome...oh and don't forget that Shen Mue 2 is still coming. BTW I do see a difference in Crazy Taxi as the PS2 car looks very odd when moving around and overall the DC has cleaner graphics.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its true there are minor little quirks that make the PS2 version not quite as nice (unless you were unlucky to get one of the dodgy PS2 discs that fell apart in a mess, which is a bit more serious!), I just wanted to reassure anyone that needed it that just because you can get a Dreamcast and Crazy Taxi for about $100, when the PS2 version will cost you nearly half that just for the game, it doesn't mean you're missing anything.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing is that most of the games you just listed are made by Sega. The big problem with the DC is that most of its 3rd party games were really bad or had many problems. Thats means that Sega makes good games, and that is why they will be a great developer.
Also, the DC has been out in Japan for 3 and a half years, 2 years in america. It should be normal for it to have better games than a console that has been out for less than a year. The PS2 will also have more must buy games by the end of its second year than the DC did.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing is that most of the games you just listed are made by Sega. The big problem with the DC is that most of its 3rd party games were really bad or had many problems.
So, by that reckoning, considering most of the generally regarded best games on the N64 are by Nintendo's own teams, /they/ should be getting out the hardware market too?
wink.gif

Don't get me wrong - I think Sega will do much better as purely developer too. Just applying your own logic to your own pet company.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The DC came out in March of 1998 in Japan, not November, I think. Nonetheless, thats still a year more in Japan.
Nintendo's greatest software assets were its First and Second parties. The DC's greatest software asset was its first party. The only good DC games were made by Sega or Capcom (which was 99% fighting games). Nintendo had Rare, but they made diverse games that were all great.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo's greatest software assets were its First and Second parties. The DC's greatest software asset was its first party. The only good DC games were made by Sega or Capcom (which was 99% fighting games). Nintendo had Rare, but they made diverse games that were all great.
I'm not even going to bother.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was wrong on the launch date of the DC in Japan, but the fact still remains that it would make sense for a nearly 3 year old console to have better games than a year and a half old console. Come look at the PS2's software library in March 2003 and we'll see how it's doing.
Also, could you post a link to the site you got that info from. I'm just curious.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Morgan, what you might not realise about Sega is that they had 600 people creating games! They had, and still have, numerous teams of people creating games.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.