What's new

Obi's - ST:TMP Review (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for the review Obi!
Great picture gallery.
Like you I am old enough to have seen ST in it's original run.
The cancellation of the series and then the agonizingly long 10 year wait for the movie is something the younger fans of the various incarnations of ST I hope they never have to go through.
The movie left me with mixed feelings but the spacedock sequence with the refurbished Enterprise was worth the price of admission alone.
Really looking forward to this one.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup
[Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 27, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

Robert George

Screenwriter
Thanks, Lou. Sorry for the length of the review. I don't usually get that wordy, but as you can probably tell, this review was a labor of love. The only thing more rewarding than getting a favorite film on DVD is getting a favorite film on DVD with the care and attention one feels it deserves.
Although there are more elaborate special editions out there, I have to give Paramount very high marks for this DVD. They have aproached the special edition concept a bit more conservatively than most of the other studios, but this disc is a solid effort and, I hope, is a harbinger of things to come down from "The Mountain".

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I really do appreciate Obi's reviews !
icon14.gif

However, for a little balance here, I would just like to remind all of the SciFi Channel's Aphorism:
Only even Star Trek films don't s.....

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Thanks Obi for that wonderful review on star trek: The Motion Picture. extra thanks for the extra screenshots..
do you mind posting the backcover for the dvd? I am curious on how it looks.
thanks.
JACOB
------------------
The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.sarah-douglas.com
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

Robert George

Screenwriter
Here ya go. For those with slower connections, sorry for the size of the file, but this is the scan I made for my DVD Profiler entry and I use relatively hi-rez images for that.
tmp-b.jpg

[Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 28, 2001 at 12:47 AM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Obi
Many thanks for that great review. This is my most anticipated title of the year.
This Star Trek film is my favorite for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned. The first awe inspiring shot of the Enterprise in dry dock brings back great memories of that cold Friday in December of 1979. Those of us that love this film I'm sure can relate.
I can't wait.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on October 28, 2001 at 12:04 AM]

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I have a question about something it says on the back of the box. In the description of what's on Disc 2, it says: "5 Additional Scenes (From the 1979 Theatrical Version)". Does this mean that after the theatrical release, these five scenes were cut out of the movie? Why would scenes be cut out of a movie after the theatrical release? Were they never in the video releases? Also, I know the actual movie is a director's cut with additional scenes cut back in. Were these new scenes ones never seen in the theater, or are they these five scenes just mentioned, or both?
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
swouttakes.jpg

Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Robert George

Screenwriter
Justin:
The scenes from the '79 theatrical version are the original scenes that have now been altered or replaced by new CGI for the Director's Edition.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Obi,
How does Star Trek: TMP compare with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn as far as the video transfer is concerned? Are they very close? I watched Star Trek II the other night and have to say that I was impressed with the picture on this one - although I found it slightly dark and slightly reddish (maybe this was intended).
[Edited last by Dave H on October 28, 2001 at 01:20 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, here's a montage of screencaps from the Total Movie/InsideDVD disc's trailer for TMP. A few of them are the same as pics in Obi's picture gallery, even though I captured them myself from the TM disc:
ST-TMPscreencaps.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm not a big ST fan but I'm really looking forward to this release. Call it the nostalgia factor if you will - I remember being very excited to see ST:TMP in its original theatrical run when I was, uh, thirteen. Ouch. I can remember playing ST in my backyard with my friends - they always made me play the security guy!
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Robert George

Screenwriter
Dave:
In simple image quality, I would rate ST:TMP slightly above Wrath of Khan overall. Excepting some of the optical effects shots that still look pretty rough, I find the transfer of TMP to have a bit more accurate color balance and the image is a bit smoother with less grain. Perhaps a bit better low level detail, but they are really closer than they are different.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question. I am a very big fan of the score, so the overture is important to me. I read in an interview a few months back that the full overture was here, is it just a longer version of the one on the original, and what does it play over, a black screen, or a card of some sort. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted to know.
Derek

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Obi. I too saw this film in 1979 and I am also a fan of the original series being just old enough to see the series then.
I am glad there were no spoilers for the new scenes. I can't wait to see and hear this one when it's out!
Nelson

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
First post.
I really appreciate the review. I am also old enough to be a fan from the beginning. I have anticipated this movie's arrival since the first announcement.
Your review has me ready to storm the store whn it opens.
------------------

Robert George

Screenwriter
Derek:
The overture runs 3 minutes and it plays under a full motion starfield that looks like a backward-looking shot from the Enterprise traveling at warp.
Jacob:
Rather than slowing this thread any more, here is a link to a page with the menus screens from the first disc...
ST:TMP Menus

Users who are viewing this thread