-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MX-500 and light dimming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 BobR

BobR

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 02:03 AM

The MX-500 manual clearly states that macros can be set up to include dimming the lights. I have an X-10 controller with IR receiver and the MX-500 has no problem turning the lights on/off and dimming them. The problem is that I can't seem to put a "press and Hold" of the dim button into a macro. If this is the case, how can they say that dimming can be put into a macro? I have had limited success with programming repeated presses of the button but that gives a stepped dimming which is a little strange looking and hard to control. This seems pretty basic. Am I missing something or is the manual misleading on this subject?

Thanks

#2 of 6 MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 03:14 AM

You can't put a "push-and-hold" into a macro (even with the MX-700). I believe the manual is referring to the stepped dimming that you mentioned, or smooth dimming may be possible with a different type of lighting control (Lutron, Lite-Touch etc.) that's supported by the MX-500.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#3 of 6 Jeff Detiege

Jeff Detiege

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 07:03 AM

I use the Lutron infrared light switch (Maestro?) with my Pronto remote. I have it programed with macros with preset light levels, for example, If I push play for the dvd player, the light will turn off. If I push pause, the light will dim to level 3. If I push stop, the light will turn all the way on. I have 5 levels of dim programed and the switch will go directly to the level I choose as a soft dim. Hope this helps.

#4 of 6 Cornelius

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 09:35 AM

What kind of lighting system do you have?

CJ

#5 of 6 BobR

BobR

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 10:18 AM

It's just the basic X-1 stuff from Smarthome. A 4040 controller and lamp dimmer modules. I think it pretty much only supports on/off, all on/all off, bright and dim. Maybe I need some other features on the dimmer modules?

#6 of 6 Cornelius

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 29 2004 - 06:57 AM

I don't remember if the basic ones support direct level dimming, but I think not. If not, your only options are to hold the dim/bright button until you get to the level you want, or to upgrade your dimmers. You may want to ask your question at remotecentral.com, because it's been a long time since I used the basic dimmers and I may be remembering incorrectly.

CJ