Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
468 replies to this topic

#41 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 11:55 AM

I'm buying this no matter what. No ifs ands or buts!
I'm building my Spielberg collection anyway and am glad this personal (some of my relative's were on the list, don't know their names, but they're genetic relatives...) and historically accurate DVD no matter if it's a DVD-18 or not, I'm gonna buy it regardless.
Just thought I'd tell you fellow DVD freaks (hey, I'm a DVD freak too!) the purpose of my purchase.
Thanks.

#42 of 469 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 11:59 AM

As I said on DVDtalk...

If I decide to pick up this set, i'm going to see if any other region has it all on one disc (doc. on the second disc). If they got rid of the two other soundtracks (worthless IMHO), it would probably all fit with just the 5.1 and DTS. I know koreandvds.com is already promoting it as a two disc set so i'd probably pick it up from someplace with that.

I absolutely hate double sided discs.

#43 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:03 PM

Craig,
I agree this should've been a two disc (Both discs DVD-9) and would also agree with you about the liability of handling issues. Mebbe we could make a petition that a film such as Schindler's List should get a 2-Disc DVD-9 release due to historical importance. Anyone agree with me on this?
Ray

#44 of 469 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,044 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:12 PM

DVD is a 2-sided medium. Deal with it. (Would you take a 2-disc set if they both had pictures of Bozo The Clown on them???)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#45 of 469 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
DVD is a 2-sided medium. Deal with it.

Is it really? Because i have about 350 discs and I'd say a handful of them are two sided. Facts dispute your little "deal with it" theory.

#46 of 469 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:18 PM

I can't believe the quibbling's gotten this mean spirited.

The movie is still on the disc whether there's disc art or not, right?

Let's keep some perspective here.

#47 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:22 PM

Robert,
I agree with you. We should support each other about what we're buying on and DVD not over some petty stuff! Why can't we all just get along...
Ray

#48 of 469 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:36 PM

Even with only a 5.1 track, the film probably wouldn't fit on a DVD-9 without having problems. Some films are able to fit nicely if there (Like Amadeus), but that usually depends on the amount of action. Amadeus is 3 hours long in its director's cut form, but a lot of the film has little movement in the frame. (plus, it's 2.35:1)

So, the choices are to have the film on one side with compression problems or to have it on two sides without those said problems. DVD is becoming to be about the discs instead of the movie... it's sad, really.

#49 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:41 PM

Pat,
I was coming up with the possiblity for 2 SEPERATE DVD-9's for this release. I hope I cleared that up for you. First disc for movie, second for extras. Oh, would you recommend me on the purchase on the 2-Disc Special Edition of Amadeus? I've been pulling my hair out about whether to buy it or not because I'm a HUGE fan of Mozart's work.Posted Image

Ray

P.S. Due to the length of the film it wouldn't be able to fit on a DVD-9 (Disc 1 of 2 of proposed deely.) Please explain so I can understand you better. Thanks.Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 of 469 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:49 PM

Is there any reason why they couldn't have fit the 5.1DTS version on one disc and the others on a second with the extras.

Kevin

#51 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:03 PM

I REALLY don't want to fuck up this disc but I'll take every precaution not to. I'm not even going to lend this out to my 'casual' DVD friend watchers. In other words, I'm gonna be REALLY picky on my handling use for this disc! I treat my regular DVD's like they're priceless artifacts and Schindler's List should be no exception from me whatsovever. Mebbe I should put it in my 'Priceless DVD' vault...Posted Image

#52 of 469 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
So, the choices are to have the film on one side with compression problems or to have it on two sides without those said problems. DVD is becoming to be about the discs instead of the movie... it's sad, really
I would hazard a guess that alot of dvd buyers are spoiled really with the format.

#53 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:15 PM

I want the disc to best represent the movie. I don't want to damage a film as precious as this on a DVD-18. I just really don't want to take that risk. I love the movie that much! I feel I should let NO ONE borrow this (except me Mum, she treats her DVD's with the utmost care like I do)and put it in my 'vault' of untouchable for other persons' DVD use.

#54 of 469 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, would you recommend me on the purchase on the 2-Disc Special Edition of Amadeus? I've been pulling my hair out about whether to buy it or not because I'm a HUGE fan of Mozart's work.

Great movie, great DVD. Typical excellent Warner 2-discer. Dare I say it, but I consider the 3 hr. director's cut to be a superior film to the 1984 theatrical version.

#55 of 469 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:44 PM

Pat,
I too most of the time prefer an extended edition of a film on DVD. More story, sub-plot, character development and the like makes me buy the Extended/Longer/Director's Cut/Special Edition films.
No double-dipping for me!
Ray

#56 of 469 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 02:17 PM

It was mentioned before in this thread, but the disc art really did serve as secondary function in that there was less surface for fingerprints and scratching. But that's not really important.

Yeah, I was in the laserdisc days. Sadly, it wasn't hand in hand with OAR.

#57 of 469 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
Not for the large number of us who have changers.

Sorry, Craig, I don't empathize. I was a huge laser disc aficionado and side/disc changes were the norm. It was a very acceptable trade-off for the (then) superior picture quality. I just don't quite understand the huge inconveniance involved in getting up for a few brief seconds to change sides or discs. Granted: ideally, all movies between two and four hours long should be spread across two layers of a single side in order to allow a film to flow without interruption to the end. But it just doesn't seem like a gigantic pain in the ass to me to get up, stretch a bit, offer any guests I have over a short intermission, then insert the second part. Then again, I am a guy who still prefers a single-disc CD player.

#58 of 469 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 03:11 PM

Yikes, here we are fighting for OAR, reference quality soundtracks amazing video yet we complain about a DVD-18? Let's be thankful we get Schindler's List in OAR with great picture and sound. It could have been worse: no OAR or compressing the whole film onto 1 disc with no DTS. Perhaps this is why some studios (they know who they are) are doing such a bum job because we're just getting "too" annoying and gripe regardless of what they put out. Schindler is coming and in great form, just be happy for that...especially from Universal.

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#59 of 469 OFFLINE   MaraKM

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 04:17 PM

Except that Spielberg's ending with the speech by Schindler where he says that he could have saved a few more lives had he sold his car and other stuff didn't happen. In actuality, Schindler fled the country with quite a bit of money (and pawned the ring the Jews gave him). Had Spielberg stuck to more to the truth, Schindler would have been a far more complex character, but that would have interfered with wanting to tell a reductionist story of redemption.

Seth L I think this was just dramatic compression. I'm sure I remember reading or hearing an interview sometime after the movie came out which said that Schindler did, later on in his life after the war, express those "I could have saved more" sentiments. But I don't see how Speilberg could have shot the scene in an emotionally affecting way if he'd done it as a flash-forward with Neeson in old-age make-up.

I too must admit I would prefer a 2-disc edition, not just because I'm so lazy that I'd rather be able to hit the 'skip disc' button than to have to get off the couch and flip the disc over....well, yeah, mostly because I'm that lazy.Posted Image But also due to the smudge & scratch issues.

But I'll definitely be buying this one, regardless of configuration or cost.

#60 of 469 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
can anyone tell me more information about that coffee table book?

According to Amazon, this is what the book is:

Schindler’s List: Images of the Steven Spielberg Film book

I assume that means it is a book with pictures of the movie locations, set, cast, and crew.

I'll be picking up the set.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow