What's new

Netflix Question (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
My question is to other forum members. I have been a member of Netflix for 5 weeks now and they or the post office on the return have already lost 2 of my dvd's. Is this a common practice?? They couldn't be in business long for 20 bucks a month if they loose 2 in 5 weeks....

I have yet to loose one on an incoming batch, only the outgoing. It was two separate weeks where I sent out three dvd's and they only received 2 of the 3...

This happening to anyone else???

Thanks in advance fellas....

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
I never had any problems and where with them for about a year. I recently canceled just because I have been busy and have not had time to watch as many DVD's.

When I first started I used to take my DVD's and drop them in a mail box or post office to send back. Then I just started leaving them with my regular outgoing mail from my house. Do you leave them at your house for the postman to pick up? If so maybe someone is stealing your mail.

Jeremy G.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The times where they were lost:

One time was a Blue Mail Box, and another was with my old trusty mail man.... I put them into his hands... Heck both times 2 of the 3 got back so 1 was snipped somewhere along the way......

Yes, They were secure... Not stolen on my account... I saw them personally into the Postal Services hands.... Somethings is wrong. I am sure of it!!!!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm interested in Netflix but wary of one issue - what is done to you/for you in the event of a lost dvd, either to or from Netflix?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I'm interested in Netflix but wary of one issue - what is done to you/for you in the event of a lost dvd, either to or from Netflix?

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I personally have not used Netflix but a very close friend uses them all the time. According to her, they are extremely nonchalant when a disc winds up missing. Never any questions asked and they always fire another copy right out to her.

Surely they have a "flag system" for "repeat offenders" but still, that can't help the profit margin much.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Netflix's got how many members now? It's getting close to a million, I thought. I don't think they're hurting, even with lots of lost discs . . .

A few years ago, when I was living in a university dorm, the mail room employees constantly broke then threw out my Netflix rentals. Once I discovered what happened (a mail room employee tried to return a broken disc to netflix as "addressee unknown" and netflix sent it back and another employee put it in my box), I told Netflix--maybe nine discs had been lost. They didn't seem to care. I got a private mailbox and never had any problems again.

However, since joining Nicheflix I've had a lot of delayed discs and one that's apparently lost (it's been 15 days since it shipped). Nicheflix has a forum and its owner or operator (I'm not sure which) posts often. He's having a lot of trouble with the post office and some of the same problems could affect Netflix as it opens new distribution centers.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
No; I've never had any problems in the past year since I signed up. The local Netflix facility is only about 35 miles away (Hyattsville to Gaithersburg, MD). And, the turnaround time is quick! Apparently, as soon as the USPS scans in the return disc, Netflix is notified & sends out the next one in my queue. They don't even wait to receive the disc back!

Doug

walker clarke

Auditioning
I have been a member of Netflix for years. I have had a few times where disks never arrived. In fact, one movie was sent, never came, I reported it, they sent another copy of same title, and IT never came again!!! So I was really worried they would pop me on that, but they didn't. Anyway, just this week I notice a movie has not arrived, and I have reported it missing, and they have sent out a new one. I would guess I have reported 3 or 4 disks lost in 3 or 4 years. I love Netflix. It's perfect for us. And the service just gets better.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a member for 2 1/2 years now and I have only had two discs that never arrived, one way or the other. Both of these happened within a two week span and I am convinced that someone at the local post office stole them.

I have had a two or three that were delayed in the mail a couple weeks, but they arrived. Each time I reported to Netflix that the movie had never arrived and they shipped a new one promptly (since at the time, I didn't know whether the original would ever arrive). In general, all discs that I send back to them are received pretty quickly and the turnaround on sending out the next movie available in my queue has usually been very good.

They do not have an explicit policy on how many discs you are allowed to lose or anything. They only say that your account may be subject to review if an unusual amount are reported lost or missing. And, it seems that after one year all discs that you have reported lost are forgotten because both discs that I mentioned at the beginning of this message have since been removed from my lost status history.

Overall, I am very pleased with Netflix' service and I haven't ever thought about leaving. In fact, I literally have not been in a "brick and mortar" rental store since I joined Netflix.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Well,

Getting them had not been the issue... Netflix I don't think is the problem.... I get the movies in one day.. I think it's the USPS....

Like I said above... I have been a member for 5 weeks, and 2 have gone missing on the way back. I am convinced someone is clipping them at the post office on the return....

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
In five years I had one missing (I never got it) and one arrived cracked. Never any problem or question from Netflix. They do have a link on the Customer Service page that allows you to pay for a disc that you admit to losing/breaking. Hope that someone has the good conscience to use it if they are to blame for the problem, given that Netflix doesn't question the issue.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've been using Netflix for years and think I've only had one disc fail to arrive at my door, and one actually vanish on its way back to them. (I've had a couple that were declared "missing" after I sent them to Netflix, but they all turned up after a few extra days or weeks.)

They've never given me a hard time over any instance of trouble and even gave me a fourth simultaenous rental at one point to make up for a delay in getting me a requested film. All-in-all I've been very happy with the service and recommend it to people all the time. (Half my family finally got DVD players for Christmas this past year - including my parents and my sister & brother-in-law who got combo DVD/VCR decks from me to force them into the 21st century. :))

Regards,

Joe

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Steve, are your discs going to the New York center? Netflix has had alot of trouble with lost discs to that facility.

As far as what they will do, when you have 6 discs lost, they will suspend your account and you have to call them to try to work something out.

I would contact the Postmaster in your area, let them know what is going on and have them investigate.

Chris

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if Netflix sells their used discs after a period of time? I tried writing to them but received no response.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
I too have use netflix, but have oinly been using the service for about 2 months now, havent had any difficulties as of yet, generally receive my movies the next day after they ship them.

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
i'm getting paranoid now after reading this.
just joined netflix 2 weeks ago. on monday i mailed all 3 of my current discs back. only one of them was acknowledged today and the next disc in my queue sent. the other two were not addressed. if they all 3 were mailed from the same box on the same day, how long do i wait before i call out missing for the 2 that havent arrived to netflix yet?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This occasionally happens to me too. I think it depends on the volume of the distribution center you return them to. I returned four movies on Sunday, one showed up Tuesday am as returned (and a new movie sent) the rest on Tuesday pm. If they don't show up in another day, let them know that you returned them (use the "report shipping problems" link located under your list of "Movies You Have Out".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks