Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Laserdiscs and HDTV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 01:47 PM

Here's my problem...I recently bought a used Sony MDP-455 and hooked it up to my 65907. I am running it on s-vid through my 3801. That's actually not the problem...the problem is the video seems to suck! Now, I have been watching DVD's and HDTV for a couple years now, but I have also watched my other tv's - none of which are HD. Is the quality of s-vid THAT much worse? With laserdiscs (and I used to have one a few years back), I remember them being pretty decent. This is far from it. I wrote the seller and he insists (and has a good record from what I can tell) that it was in great shape and should get a terrific picture. Am I simply expecting too much? Or does it sound like I got ripped on the player?
M&K 750 (F,C), M&K SS150 (S), M&K MX5000MkII (Sub)

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jay Blair

Jay Blair

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 02:20 PM

I don't know much about this laserdisc model. Sony players don't have very good reputations. I believe it probably has a very weak comb filter, worse the the one in your TV. Try hooking it up using the composite output. I would be suprised if it didn't look much better. So yes, you probably are expecting too much. As to whether you got ripped, only if you paid too much for it. It likely is functioning up to specs.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 03:36 PM

Are you using any zoom modes or anything like that on your TV? If so you might need a better scaler. I use dScaler on a HTPC and it works great with LD.
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 08:34 PM

Another thing, don't use the s-video output. Use the composite output. Laserdisc is inherently a composite format, and the comb filter in your set is more than likely superior to the one in the player.
Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 11:55 PM

You'll get a significantly better picture from composite than S-Video.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 03:10 AM

I've had a Sony LD player and hated it. The U.S. models are patentedly inferior across the board. They all have a grungy, noisey picture. A Pioneer budjet model like the CLD-S104 will outperform (visually) every model Sony sold in the U.S. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sony LD players define mediocrity.

I concur with the group that the composite video should be used. The S-video output should be super glued shut for all time.Posted Image I'd also suggest that Sony LD players are best suited for 20-27 inch analog tube sets. When I had one in the early 90's I used it with a 20 inch set and I wasn't even impressed with it in that venue.

Sony players are smart looking but beauty is only skin deep.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 04:55 AM

Caution, don't super glue the S-video jack quite yet. There are a small number of high end LD players including Pioneer['s CLD-99 that always comb filter the video and the S-video output is the primary output and the composite is recomposited from the S-video. I have not seen one but presumably the picture is better due to time base correction.

Also, the comb filter in the LD player is probably at least better than the filter in a sub USD $200. stand alone composite to S-video converter that some folks use.

When you compare the results from using composite vs. S-video from the LD player, you won't go wrong.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Rob.melone

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 05:26 AM

Be more specific. Is it the clarity, color, contrast etc.? You can also help us help you by telling us the LD movies you are watching. Some of us may be familiar with the quality of the movie in LD format. In the meantime, here are a few things to try: First, connect your LD player directly to your tv (i.e. bypass the 3801) composite then s-video. Second, check your tv settings for color, contrast, etc. and try switching between LB & 16 x 9. Good luck!

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 02:36 AM

Video Essentials was put out on LD. Unfortunately some LD players including som Pioneers have their video output out of spec. This would cause the calibration of the TV for the LD player to differ from the calibration needed for your DVD player.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 04:38 AM

Clarity was the main issue. I did switch last night to composite and the comb filter in the Mitsu took over and it is much better. Bottom line is that this Sony player sucks. I was watching the first (original) Star Wars. Sad as it may sound, with the DVD's being announced for Sept, I figured this was the last chance to own the originals, so I popped for them and the player. Ah, guess I shoulda spent the extra and bought a Pioneer.
M&K 750 (F,C), M&K SS150 (S), M&K MX5000MkII (Sub)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users