-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official DAWN OF THE DEAD Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
240 replies to this topic

#1 of 241 Aaron Telsey

Aaron Telsey

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 12:16 PM

T.V. Spot for the movie
http://woah.sytes.ne...ead/newdawn.wmv

Brand new trailer for the movie
http://universal.fan....34rip&linkID=8

I was lucky enough to see this film about 3 weeks ago on the Universal Studios lot in L.A. It's surprisingly good. Only one thing that I found incredibly cheesy, but I'm not going to spoil it here.

Sarah Polley kicks ass. She is really awesome.

Yes, the zombies do run. I know that it bugs some people. Well, after seeing the film...I'll say that I like slow zombies better....BUT these zombies are extremely menacing and pissed! If they get you in their sights and start sprinting toward you in groups, you don't stand a chance.

Also, talk about violent. Probably the most violent film i've seen in a theater...ever.

#2 of 241 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,481 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 24 2004 - 03:21 PM

I can't wait... Posted Image

#3 of 241 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 03:47 PM

Can't wait for this movie and george's original to come out on dvd Posted Image

#4 of 241 Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 04:43 PM

There have been a few threads on this. My thoughts on this upcoming remake can be found in this recent thread:

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=184345

This is my most anticipated film EVER, and believe me, I want to see it so bad it hurts. The wait is killing me!

#5 of 241 John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 04:59 PM

I'm also looking forward to this new Dawn Of The Dead.

I saw the original in a theater and it still stands all these years later as one of the best cinematic moments in my movie loving life.

btw...the original is on DVD.
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#6 of 241 Aaron Telsey

Aaron Telsey

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 05:31 PM

You saw the original in the theater?

LUCKY! I envy you. I would love to see the original in a theater.

#7 of 241 Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Sarah Polley kicks ass. She is really awesome.

Indeed. On top of that, she is also one of the absolute hottest women on this planet, and a great actress to boot! I'm so pleased to see her in this remake.

#8 of 241 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:11 AM

Quote:
btw...the original is on DVD.

True, but I'm waiting for the Divimax Edition Posted Image

#9 of 241 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:28 AM

I too saw this on the big screen when it came out in 1978. I was 24 at the time and it really got to me. I bought the VHS version on its release and paid about $80.00 for it; that is the most I have ever paid for a film! I am really eager to see the remake and have already pre-ordered the original version Divimax DVD from DDD. March 19th can't come too soon for me.

#10 of 241 Aaron Telsey

Aaron Telsey

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 11:59 AM

I've searched, but can't find any online advanced reviews for Dawn of the Dead DiviMax. Anyone know of any?

#11 of 241 Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:35 PM

I remeber that I first "Watched" DotD when I was 9, after 6 minutes when the SWAT member shot the guy in the head, I quickly ran away and never looked back, about 5 years ago, I decided to give the movie another try, this was on Halloween night. Needless to say, I quite enjoyed it!.

I'm looking forward to the new version, I hope its nice and scary. I'm not a big fan of Blood and Gore, but I have seen enough in movies not to run away now.

#12 of 241 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 01:44 AM

I saw the Original on screen in 1981 at a dollar theater (remember those?) on a double bill along with (get this) Zombie!
Oddly, most guys coming out of the show said that Zombie was better because it had more gore and even though I was a definite gore hound at the time, and I still think the zombies in Fulci's film looked better, I was very much aware that Dawn was the better film both in story, acting & directing....plus the idea of the mall was just so damn neat and original at the time.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#13 of 241 DwightK

DwightK

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 02:20 AM

Saw the original at the Monroeville Mall near Pittsburgh which is the mall used in the movie. Many friends stood in line to be zombie extras during the filming. Yes I will have to see this movie but it will be hard for me to see the Crossroads Mall and the filming being done in Toronto instead of the Pittsburgh area.

Just not traditional enough. Not enough, mind you, to deter me from seeing the remake. I just adore a good zombie movie.

#14 of 241 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 05:56 AM

Fulci's "Zombie" has only one thing over DoTD IMHO; the actual zombie makeup. Other than that, I think they are pretty equal. Gore for Gore, they stack up quite well. Fulci equalled Romero's head explosion with the splinter in the eye scene, but, I gotta say, the Zombie shark battle in "Zombie" is priceless.

#15 of 241 Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 07:19 AM

Comparing Fulci's Zombie to Dawn of the dead is ridiculous. Just because the makeup is better and Zombie has more gore doesn't make them comparable. Dawn of the Dead is a legendary classic.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#16 of 241 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,872 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 07:31 AM

The part of the trailer with the woman's daughter in the doorway scared the crap out of me. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#17 of 241 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 09:29 AM

Now, now Rich, I am NOT saying that "Zombie" is a better movie than "Dawn of the Dead!" On the contrary, "Dawn" is probably my favorite zombie movie ever. I am just saying that a couple of things were done better by Fulci, the makeup being one of them. I can see your bias though, what with the Romero name and all. Believe me, everyone who has ever made a zombie genre movie MUST, MUST bow down to the Master......George A. Romero. Please don't get your shorts all in a knot DoTD is, IMHO, the difinitive zombie film.

#18 of 241 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 06:30 AM

I just got an email from Universal informing me that the official site is now fully functional. No time to check it out right now, but I wanted to share.

#19 of 241 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 27 2004 - 07:06 AM

Ugh, first "28 Days Later" and now the "DotD" remake are somehow convincing a large group of people that zombies running is a "new" idea with young kids thinking it's "cool" that zombies are now more badass.

I'd just like to say...."The Return of the Living Dead" – 1985. Thank you.

Having said that, I just saw the trailer for the new "DotD" last night and I'm definitely going to see it March 19th. If it's a hit, will a "Day of the Dead" remake be far behind?

#20 of 241 Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 11:46 AM

As for zombie makeup realness, the remake of Night of the Living Dead is tops. I saw this about a year after I worked at a funeral home and expected to be disappointed, but it is remarkably accurate. And a nifty remake, to boot.

I am with Michael, though. Return of the Living Dead has to be the most enjoyable zombie film and the plot is remarkably tight.

Forum Nav Content I Follow