Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zenith C32V37 HDTV?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 09:21 AM

I've read some older threads about the Zenith C32V37 HDTV and wanted to solicit some more opinions. How is it? I was considering the Samsung TXN3298HF but now am not so sure. What's the word?
CINEMA GOTHAM: The Best of New York Film Stuff
DVDTalk Reviews
Animal Rescue

#2 of 8 Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 05:07 PM

There are several threads at AVS forum filled with praise for this set. I have its younger brother, the C27V36, which has great picture quality.

#3 of 8 Kevinkall

Kevinkall

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:12 PM

I also have the C27V36 and plan on upgrading to the C37V37. Great set! Great price!

#4 of 8 Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 11:04 PM

Cool. I thought I'd ask here because folks are very knowledgable. Over there the suggestions, while sometimes helpful, are often of the "the zoom function ROCKS! It totally gets rid of the black bars!!!!" variety.

I'm specifically trying to compare this set to the Samsung TXN3298HF. Those are my two choices. My questions are:

1) Does the Zenith have the "squeeze" capabilities of Sony and Samsung where all the resolution is directed to the widescreen image and not to drawing the black bars (i.e. the black bars are literally blank screen space (on a 16:9 image)

2) Is there a problem with red push

3) Does the built in cable decoder allow you to receive unscrambled HDTV channels even if you only subscribe to stndard cable (I only care about CBS, ABC, etc... and not HBO, ESPN for now)

4) Is the plug being in the front a problem?

I have some more questions but I can't think of them now. I'm probably going to have to pick between these two without actually auditioning them, which sucks, so I want to at least make sure I'm getting the feature set I want.
DVDTalk Reviews
Animal Rescue

#5 of 8 Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 02:33 AM

I found the answer to question 1 on Amazon's site:

Quote:
Special 16:9/4:3 aspect-ratio correction lets you view feature-length movies in either their original widescreen format (16:9) or in regular TV format (4:3), with no loss of resolution--the set devotes all available lines to the letterboxed image, wasting none on the black bars above and below.

That sounds about right. How about the other questions?
DVDTalk Reviews
Animal Rescue

#6 of 8 Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 02:40 AM

I can report that, on my C27v36, the plug is on the side, instead of being in the back. While it is ugly, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the set.

I don't have any red push at all.

This model does not have the built-in cable decoder so I can't speak to that.

#7 of 8 Tom Rags

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
3) Does the built in cable decoder allow you to receive unscrambled HDTV channels even if you only subscribe to stndard cable (I only care about CBS, ABC, etc... and not HBO, ESPN for now)

Yes, as long as it is unscrambled. This feature pays for the TV in a few years alone in my opinion. Chances are it will take a good while for cable companies to catch on or care since so few people will have this capability.

#8 of 8 Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 05:47 AM

That's what I was thinking. I was going to subscribe to mo' expensive DTV just to watch Alias and Angel in HD but if I get "broadcast" channels without doing that or running an antenna then this TV is the man!
DVDTalk Reviews
Animal Rescue

Forum Nav Content I Follow