Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hiding Components

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Barry Ford

Barry Ford

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 06:23 AM

Has anyone ever tried to remote the components for their HT?
Or, does anyone know of any reference material on the subject?
Anyone have any experience remoting w/ the UnQ type of "smart" wiring?

I am moving into an new house w/ UnQ home network star wiring but my huge, 3 piece home entertainment center won't fit. The den has a large fireplace in the center of the only usable wall with a built in cave wired for the TV over the mantle (every new house now seems to use this scheme). My long-haired co-pilot is resisting my plan to split up the HE furniture pieces to the left and right of the fireplace and store the components there. (I admit this is a poor solution but am too cheap to buy new furniture.)There is a closet at the rear of the room that I could easily wire for speakers, sat. etc. if I thought I could get full functionality out of my system. I have the Onkyo SR601, DSS/DirectTivo, LD, DVD, VCR etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,
Nomad

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 10:31 AM

Barry,

Your post is a little unclear. Are you saying you want to put the equipment in the closet at the back of the room? It sounds like you want to put speakers and a sat receiver there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Barry Ford

Barry Ford

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 11:55 PM

"Your post is a little unclear. Are you saying you want to put the equipment in the closet at the back of the room? It sounds like you want to put speakers and a sat receiver there."

Wayne,

I would like to put everything but the TV, DTIVO and the speakers in the closet. Doable?

Barry

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,337 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:55 AM

Barry - any thoughts yet on how the TV will look in the "cave" above the fireplace. I've seen this design on some of the home-design shows; I thought it would place the TV too high for comfortable viewing. What do you think? Does it work well?

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 07:57 AM

Barry,

How “doable” it is will depend on whether or not there is an access to run the necessary cabling the distance from the front to back – like an attic or crawlspace. If there is one, it will be relatively easy. If not, extremely hard – may even require tearing out and replacing sheetrock.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Barry Ford

Barry Ford

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 08:30 AM

Wayne,

Cabling should be OK, I can run through the crawl space. What about the remote control of the receiver, VCR etc. Is there a piece of gear you know of that will relay all functions?

Also, concur the TV above the fireplace is too high for good viewing. Since, the interior decorators think it's the in thing though, my bride will 'go insane and take me with her' (Beetlejuice) if I try to put it somewhere else.

Barry

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
What about the remote control of the receiver, VCR etc. Is there a piece of gear you know of that will relay all functions?
Yes, an IR repeater. It’s an IR receiver that has remote emitters that are hard-wired to it. The emitters will be stuck to each component over it’s IR receiver. I did mine a little different – I stuck them to the cabinet door directly in front of the component.

The only problem is that in a typical installation both the IR receiver and the equipment are at or near the front of the room. Make sure any repeater rig you look into has the capability to utilize long runs to the emitters.

I think smarthome.com sells them. You can probably get other ideas for vendors on our Tweaking, Connections and Accessories Forum.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Barry Ford

Barry Ford

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 01:24 AM

Wayne,

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

I've enjoyed reading your other posts as well. You're a real pro and an asset to the forum. Posted Image

Thanks,
Barry

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Barry. Posted Image
My Equipment List

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 26 2004 - 07:44 PM

You could also use an IR/RF remote control. Use IR for the TIVO and TV, and RF to the components in the closet. The Pronto 3000 and MX800 come to mind

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve F M

Steve F M

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 02:40 AM

The IR/RF is the ticket. I use this with my Philips Pronto TSU6000. You will need to buy with the remote though an RF Extender.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Barry Ford

Barry Ford

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 03:24 AM

Steve and Adam,

Since the closet will be behind me. Would I need a reflector or something or is the RF omnidirectional?

Barry

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 04:41 AM

RF is Radio Frequency. Is is omnidirectional. Most RF remotes also have IR. In your situation is would set the remote to use IR with the TV and tivo. These would be line of sight. All the other devices would be set to RF. When you controlled one of them the emote would send a Radio Frequency signal to a box in your closet. The box would then converit it to IR and send the signal to a flasher on that component. The box either comes with the IR/RF remote, or is an accessory specific to the make model of remote you get. i know the Pronto TSU3000, and TSU6000 have this ability. The MX800 also does. The downside is that these may be a few hundred dollars--you will need to shop around. The upside is no real wiring needs to be done.

The other option is installing an IR repeater system. This would be cheaper, but it has disadvantages. You will need to install an IR reciver out by your TV. This will have to be wired back to your closet into an IR distribution block. From here is is similar to the RF reciever above in that will then have IR flashers connected to your individual components.

It comest down to cost vs. running wire and needing to be line of sight with all your components. If the cost is no big deal i would go the RF/IR route ($250-350). If your watching every penny I would go with the IR route (it will still cost between $100-150).

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   KenA

KenA

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts
  • LocationMassapequa, NY

Posted March 01 2004 - 06:56 AM

I'd recommend against RF, especially with a TiVo. I had mine set up that way and I had a lot of problems with it. The RF receiver converts all stray RF traffic to IR commands. This bombards your components with IR traffic. The TiVo HATES miscellaneous IR traffic, as do most PC IR receivers (TiVo is really a computer). It has a tough time distinguishing which IR freqs are its own and you'll get a lot of missed commands. This destroys macros. I've gone to a wired IR system and have never been happier.

BTW, make sure you have adequate ventilation in that closet, or you're going to have some real problems with your equipment.
»ken«
DVD List

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts

Posted March 01 2004 - 10:03 AM

ken, in this instance Barry would have all his equipment except the Tivo and TV on RF. He would be using line-of sight IR to the Tivo. BTW Costco.com has a great deal on the Pronto TPS3000. to use the RF you would need to purchase the optional IR reciever too.