What's new

After reading the posts here, I'm wondering if RPTV is worth purchasing... (1 Viewer)

rich_rosell

Auditioning
I'm in the process of making the leap into a 16:9 set, and have been looking at a Toshiba or Mits RPTV.

I came to this forum to find out a little about the models/problems/burn-in/etc, but the bulk of the discussions here seem to be about projectors.

Is an RPTV a bad purchase? I see a lot of casual slams on the RP technology in a lot of posts.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Not at all. I'm sure many more people have RPTVs than have projectors. They can produce stunning images, but they do require proper setup and maintenance (as do projectors).

M.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Like Michael said, they do require some maintainence. I also need to keep my RPTV on for a while to warm up before I feel the PQ is acceptable. That's just me, I'm a fanatic. If you have the money for FPTV, go that way. If not, no shame in going RPTV. You absolutely must have RPTV's calibrated, though. Some look worse than others out of the box, but I would say most look unacceptable. Lower the contrast as soon as you get it, break it in for 100-150 hours, then call an ISF. It's worth it.

Chris

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
"Is an RPTV a bad purchase?"

Heck no! I've had my 50" Toshiba for almost two years now, and we're lovin' every minute of it.:D I've not had the money for a professional calibration, but I bought a copy of Video Essentials to calibrate it on my own and it's a very acceptable picture. Do I wish the PQ was better- yep, but I'm a perfectionist.:b My wife and daughter don't know any different. Have had NO problems with burn-in, either. As was mentioned in the post above, lower the contrast as soon as you get it, and you'll be on your way. No regrets.

Oh, and hang around the HTF ... these guys are great!:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say after purchasing my HS10 projector, there's no way I could be happy with an RPTV. The 106" image is just so much more involving, and movie like. Having a plasma or RPTV just don't seem like real home theater anymore. And the image quality you get out of most RPTV's will be exceeded by a $2K projector these days like the Z2 or AE500 - and most certainly by the HS20.

Now that you can get an excellent PJ for around $2K, I just can't see bothering with an RPTV anymore. My 36" Wega does nicely when i don't want to bother turning on the projector.

And what if you start craving a larger picture after you buy? With the RPTV you lose money by selling it and buying again. With a projector, you move it back a few feet or zoom the lens.

Seriously, this isn't a case of "mine's better" talking - just here to tell you that you'll really be missing out on the HT fun by not going for a projector. I've never purchased any piece of electronics that I even had half the enjoyment from. And this from someone who has a $30K audio system.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you can control light in your environment, and you have the wall space, then IMO a front projector is a must.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Rich, I know how you feel. I always wanted a RPTV and thought it was the next logical step after a tube t.v. Then my buddy started talking about projectors. The more I thought about it the more it made sence. A good rptv if it is DLP or LCD will run well over 3000$ even a crt rptv will cost over 1500$. RPTV's are also HUGE and take up a ton of space. for the same or less money you could get a good projector and have total control over the size of the picture. Heck there are some excellent looking projectors for under 1000$!! Plus they are small and unubtrusive. I really think there is a projector for everyone. You just need to know what you will be using it for and price, then narrow it down. As of yet I still own a tube t.v. but after reading up on it I do not see myself getting a rptv. This is not to put down people who own one, i just think I would not enjoy it as much. Good luck

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Last month I went from an ISF calibrated 61" Hitachi RPTV to a Sanyo Z2 projector with a 104" diagonal screen. I've had my RPTV for 3 years and the picture is incredible, but there's no way I could ever go back to the RPTV after living with the Z2 for the last month. The movie experience is almost just like being at the movies(without the talking, sticky floors and stuff:)). Really the projector experience is that good. I'm not saying the RPTV is bad, it's actually a great thing, but if you want a big screen feel and can control the light I'd say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread