-

Photo

BBC's "To the Manor Born: Complete Series" on DVD June 15th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image

BBC will release the entire series of the classic BritCom "To the Manor Born" on DVD June 15th, 2004 and will retail for $79.98 ($20 cheaper than the VHS set previously availible)! For those not familiar with the series: Hard times force the snooty Audrey Forbes-Hamilton to sell her grand country manor house and move into the lodge. But, much to her horror, the new Squire turns out to be the smooth, grocery tycoon, Richard DeVere. It's the start of an hilarious, class-conscious, love-hate relationship. The hugely successful television series has now been specially adapted for BBC Radio 2 and also stars Angela Thorne as Audrey's friend, Marjory.

I for one am highly anticipating the release of this classic British Fare!

..:: Andy ::..

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 09:00 PM

This is one of our favourites too.

When I heard about this, I wondered about the picture quality though. The last time I saw it (on PBS?), the colours seemed pale.

But I don't know if that was chracteristic of the original production, or poor TV - cable broadcasting of a deteriorated copy.

I will be interested in any reviews.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 10:36 PM

I'm hoping this is a region 1 release. If so, I'm all over it. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted February 24 2004 - 01:07 AM

I like this, too; if the quality is there, and it's for region 1, it's a purchase for me.
My DVDs

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 07:33 AM

Quote:
When I heard about this, I wondered about the picture quality though. The last time I saw it (on PBS?), the colours seemed pale.

Not, I must confess, my favourite sitcom, but they were showing excerpts from TTMB on a show about British sitcoms the other week, and I thought then that the video and film stock looked rather insipid. The same goes for a lot of other BBC programmes of the same period, so it may be an artefact of videos of the late 70s/early 80s.