What's new

12 year old Suspended for bringing Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit to Public School!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This story has gained some attention...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1742267

This is most of the story, but from what I read on another site, some of it is missing... Another site stated that the child was actually arrested... I assume they are trying to keep this pretty quiet so it doesnt break out into mainstream attention...

Now, I can understand taking the magazine away or whatever if he is reading it during class... But, being arrested and suspended for bringing a Sports Illustrated into school???

They also want the child out of school permanently...

Wow!!! First thing that comes to my mind is Stupid!!!

If the worst thing someones 12 year old does is read a Sports Illustrated, they dont know how good they have it...

What would they have done if it was Playboy??? Had the child paddled 50 times, give him electroshock theorpy, and removed from the entire educational system???

Hmmm... Possible lawsuit???? I wouldnt be surprised to see this story breakout... Barbara Walters interview in a couple months on 20/20??? You never know...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've seen more racy things on Muchmusic (MTV-clone, but with actual playing of music videos) and the covers of women's magazines like Cosmo, Glamour, etc.

Definitely an overreaction.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

I don't know, seems pretty extreme. I mean Playboy is almost cookbook boring compared to some of the more "under the radar" magazines. I'd not bring up electroshock until he comes to class with the new issue of Nugget.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Doubtful. The ignorance of "zero tolerance" in schools is horrible. The ACLU would never have the time to persue them all. I remember a time when teachers and administrators could look at a situation, and make a decision based on that unique situation. That time is no more.

Chris

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I saw an article where an 8 yr old brought a cap gun to school and was suspended. The school initially wanted to expel the student. Paranoia has definitely taken hold of us. How many of you played with cap guns as a child?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yikes, how do you teach your way out of this one? tell the kid it is ok to look at the magazine but not bring it to school, then it makes the administrators look wrong, it may tell him to disobey administrators in the future. tell him that the administrators are right in suspending him for such an act, and he may walk on eggshells the rest of his life, and probably wont look at another woman until he is 25! probably extremes in both cases, but the school definitely put him and his family in a tough situation. and it looks like the title of this thread should be changed from 'arrested' to 'suspended'.

CJ

TomND

Auditioning
Nowhere did it say he was arrested. I find that hard to believe.

A suspension is certainly overreacting, but within the school's right to do so.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If he was suspended, I MIGHT not think this was overreacting.. Since bringing one to the workplace could be considered sexual harassment in this day in age...

But then again, he's in the 6th grade, he's CHANGING, its a special time in the boys' life... This may scar him for life, seeing the reaction of the general public to his attraction to the female form. :)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Times have definitely changed and I can't honestly say for the better. I got a call from a school "counselor" because my seven year old said the word "boobie". Do I want him running around saying boobie? Not really. I didn't think that it warranted the teacher sending him off to a counselor, either.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Booby: Name for a family of truce sized seabirds. Tropical and subtropical members of the family are specifically called boobies; those of northern waters are called gannets.

Perhaps the "counselor" was projecting. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The ignorance of "zero tolerance" in schools is horrible."

Absolutely. My G/Fs son was suspended for saying "If you dont leave me alone,Ill f*cking kill you" to someone who was picking on him.

Im not gonna go on a tangent, but I cant believe the crap that goes on at that school. Its no wonder kids feel frustrated and go postal.

"If he was suspended, I MIGHT not think this was overreacting.. Since bringing one to the workplace could be considered sexual harassment in this day in age"

I work at IBm with women everywhere. There are COUNTLESS Victoria Secrets catalogues to be found in offices here.The girl I share a office with has 2 on her desk now. Women can bring a Cosmepolitian (loaded with 1/2 naked men)to work.I really doubt I could get away with bringing a Maxim or Stuff to work?

In my old job, back in 97 or so I was asked to take down this picture of Jennifer Connelly(the pic i had went further down to her waist)

I protested and didnt take it down - reason:there were about 50 women I knew of that had calendars,postcards,pics of greased up guys in speedos around their desks.

Those were ok I guess.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Maybe I should have been suspended in high school for the same thing. We had to do a project on Latin countries and I chose to do a report on the poularity of baseball in the Dominican Republic. The swimsuit issue that year did their location shoots in the Dominican, so they did a very extensive piece on baseball in the country. I used it as a source if information and even brought the copy in (which I borrowed form the school library.) for my presentation. That was in 1990. How times have changed.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
:rolleyes

God forbid a 12 year old should see women in bikinis. Unbelievable...

Side note: Jon, that pic of Jennifer C. is amazing... (Not that I haven't seen it before, but still...)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The school had a rule that none of that material is suppose to be brought to school. I agree that its only a swimsuit issue, but since the school has that rule, he has to punished, simple as that.

Law

Agent
Teacher: You'll never guess what happened today.

Husband: What honey?

Teacher: A boy sexually harassed the girls in the class by bringing in a swimsuit magazine.

Husband: I hope you showed him up dear.

Teacher: Damn right I did. I kicked him out of school.

Husband: Awww, I'm so proud of you. You didn't get voted 'most likely to mess up our kids' for nothing in college.

In a related story, 2 students were suspended and fined $1500 for building a sandcastle during recess that resembled a house. The land had been zoned for commercial developement.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
This is where you need a 6th grade feminist to put her hand up and say, "teach, the SI is mine!"

I wonder if the same rules would stick?

I can hear the girl replying - "Up yours, I want to look at the swimsuits. This is the swuimsuit edition, isn't it?"

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks