Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Buyer's Guide - room for improvement?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 08:25 AM

Hi gang,

As you loyal readers know, every DVD ETC and HDTV ETC features a buyer's guide towards the back of each issue. Is it helpful? What works? What doesn't? What would you change?

#2 of 5 Ken Smith

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 02:59 AM

You could delete the players that are now unavailable. You could also do testing like "Secrets" does. Your reviews of dvd players sound like someone reading the spec sheet that the mfg. puts out. If you list things things like chroma bug, macroblocking, Y/C error, layer change times, etc. this would be helpful. For a magazine named DVD your reviews come up way short. IMO.

#3 of 5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 07:42 AM

Ken - what you may not realize is that our Buyer's Guide, though assembled and laid out by us, is actually POPULATED by the manufacturers themselves. We leave it up to them every month to add/remove product info and while we try to double-check this as much as possible, some things get missed. Removing gear that is no longer available should definitely be a priority and I will double our efforts in that regard.

As far as the other data you asked about, I refer to my previous statement. We are essentially passing on the specs the manufacturers provide us with. Re: the chroma bug issue, we try to make a point to address it in each DVD player review we write. As a matter of fact, our own Manoj Motwani wrote a feature article about this annoying artifact just last year.

#4 of 5 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,676 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 26 2004 - 03:48 PM

First off, thanks for asking. I would like to see the SACD and DVD-A columns next to each other. Easier to tell if it's a uni player. And how about putting your rating in there somewhere for the players you have reviewed in the past. Maybe the issue number as well. Gene
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 10:21 PM

hi gene - thanks for the input. just the kind of thing I was looking for. good call on the SACD/DVD-A columns. The review comment I already had on my To Do list. Posted Image