What's new

Whats the best DIY speaker in your opinion.... (1 Viewer)

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm......... I was looking at speakers online, and of course one of the most raved about speakers, the Wilson line, was renowned as the "BEST" speaker in the World.

Now what I was getting at was, in the DIY world, one would be able to create such a speaker for IONS and IONS less. I was wondering what some of your opinions are on the BEST DIY speaker...... and why?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine built a pair of Wilson-style Time Aligned three-way speakers for $2000, but the setup is triamped. A B+G Neo8 tweeter per side is used for a mid-tweeter, two 8" woven Kevlar cone woofers per side are used as midbasses, and one Titanic MKII 12" woofer per side provides the bass. They are exceptional.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Well I've been building high-end DIY speakers for quite a long time. We actually kloned the Wilson XI-Grand Slamms.

Our newest creation pretty much defines state-the-art; and lays waste to the waste to most commercial designs costing tens of thousands of dollars. This is a pic of the prototype not a finished speaker. They are fullrange dipoles.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Thats awesome! When you say you "kloned" the Wilson X-1 Grandslams, how identical do they sound?

Was it hard to build them?

Did you put the kits online or was it just for your personal satisfaction?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think that many people prefer the sound of dipoles because of how it interacts with the room.

The best DIY speaker I've auditioned so far is the http://www.linkwitzlab.com Phoenix which is an open baffle speaker with stereo "H" frame dipole subwoofers. Not only do the dipole subs offer good frequency responses, but they were digitally equalized even further for a super flat response. Each driver has its own amplifier channel and uses a somewhat intricate active crossover.

The results were so realistic that it literally fooled my mind into imagining things.

The drivers are only $1,000 for the linkwitz Orions which makes it feasable for me to try one out in the future. I've auditioned some of the most expensive ESLs and full range Horn systems on good equipment. Still nothing has proved to come close to the Phoenix. (I suspect the Orion sounds very similar to the Phoenix)

I did hear another dipole speaker that used Raven R2 tweeters and I remembered loving the highs. It would be nice to be able to hear Thomas W's project or even those ugly Glaciers. hehe :)

Oh, a pair of Avantgarde Trios on $10k Model 88 tube amps and Hovland 100 pre pro provided the most detail I've ever heard in a system. Each lip smack and breath was so forward, it was like I was being served every speck on the track with a separate dish. To bad that the sound of amplified detail is what sort of ruined the illusion. I could hear it just fine, it just wasn't convincing.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anyway to get details, or step by step instructions on how to build those Cloned speakers for the nOObs?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
It's right there in Thomas's signature but Link RemovedThere are a couple of pictures and schematics. No detailed plans.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member

They sounded as good as the real thing.....we destroyed the bass bins a while back (needed room for newer projects). The upper modules are still intact.
This type of project certainly isn't something for a nOObie. HERE's a link to some detailed info. Below is a tease...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks