Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

legal MP3 download impressions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 12:34 PM

Anyone use itunes or realrhapsody?

I want to download mp3's leagally but want something that I can burn to CD, I don't think iTunes will do that, and it better than 128 bitrate.

Any one have a recommendation or are these online services too new yet.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#2 of 25 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 02:16 PM

Go for iTunes. You can burn CD's and though the bitrate is 128 it is AAC instead of MP3, so it is supposedly a little bit better quality.

#3 of 25 Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 03:32 PM

What I want is full quality files, then I'll pay for downloads. Posted Image

From what I've found talking to folks iTunes is probably the best of what's out there right now. iTunes, Rhapsody & Napster all use formats other than MP3.
~Brian

#4 of 25 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 04:41 PM

Musicmatch's download service has the best quality with 160kbps WMA's but the selection isn't there. I do iTunes when I don't want to buy the whole CD. On the plus side 128kbps AAC sounds noticably better than MP3 at the same bitrate, but if you use decent sound equipment you'll be craving for the CD after a while.

#5 of 25 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 09:55 AM

I just downloaded a song from iTunes thanks to the Pepsi promotion and the sound quality wasn't bad at all.

#6 of 25 Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 11:49 AM

Ive downloaded from Napster and whatever Yahoos service is... Quality sounds fine, no problem burning to CDs and Im not at all technically inclined...
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV..."

#7 of 25 MikewL

MikewL

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 06:32 AM

I've downloaded close to 100 songs from iTunes, and have yet to come across a sound quality issue. I'm sure if I sat in my home theatre and just listened with no other distractions I could hear problems, but that's when you buy the CD.

As for using the files, easy to burn to CD.

#8 of 25 Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 07:08 AM

If you're going to burn them to CD, how do you handle tagging when you rip them back to another format? I have a Zen Xtra and have yet to find a service that is particularly friendly to that unit.
MOISTURE...*Silica Absorbs It*

#9 of 25 Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 07:28 AM

I use iTunes and I burn CDs from my downloaded tunes.

#10 of 25 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
If you're going to burn them to CD, how do you handle tagging when you rip them back to another format?

Kraig,

This is not recommended when using lossy formats. Re-ripping and transcoding into another format will eat into the sound quality.

Itunes seems like a huge rip-off anyway. At $1 per song, a 16 song album costs as much as a new CD (or twice as much as a used one), has lower quality than the CD, no artwork, etc. It's also a rip-off for the artist (who get a dime per song) and for Apple (who loses money on the site, which they make up with their grossly overpriced Ipods!). The record companies must be laughing on their way to the bank.

#11 of 25 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 05:37 PM

Quote:
Itunes seems like a huge rip-off anyway. At $1 per song, a 16 song album costs as much as a new CD (or twice as much as a used one),....
Isn't there a price break when you purchase an entire album? I thought I noticed that entire albums generally went for $9.99.

Besides the main marketing point behind these sites is the fact that the consumer has the freedom to purchase only the songs they want off of an album. Thus given the consumer the ability to skip the unwanted tracks and saving money in the long run.

#12 of 25 Jon.M

Jon.M

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
It's also a rip-off for the artist (who get a dime per song)
Those poor artists. They might have to lay off a butler or two. I'll try not to lose any sleep over it. Posted Image

#13 of 25 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 02:08 AM

Patrick,

You are, of course, correct on both points. It still doesn't appeal to me, based on the other disadvantages. I don't consider a compressed download to be a suitable substitute for a factory pressed CD.

Jon,

Why the sarcasm? The traditional recording industry is corrupt because the bulk of the $$$ goes to the record company rather than the artist. The artist provides the talent and the creativity and the music itself. The record company provides packaging and distribution. Who do you think deserves a larger portion of the pie?

Now, with Itunes, the record companies no longer provide packaging (there is none) or distribution (handled by Apple) yet they still take the lion's share of the cash! How is this, in any way, fair?

Besides, I can assure you, the VAST overwhelming majority of recording artists do not live a lavish lifestyle with multiple butlers.

#14 of 25 Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 05:44 AM

Thanks Rob, I figured there would be quality problems. I've pretty much given up on on-line MP3 purchasing. Like I said before, none of them are really user friendly or work well with the Zen.

What I've pretty much started doing was buying used CDs. At 8 to 10 bucks a pop it's much better.

#15 of 25 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 05:51 AM

Kraig,

You're in a good spot for it too. I remember lots of good CD shops in Beaverton as well as Portland.

#16 of 25 StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 07:36 AM

The very first song I bought off of Itunes had one of those typical mp3 glitches in it. And the general sound quality was not too impressive. I won't be buying anymore until they produce glitch-free files with better sound quality.
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#17 of 25 Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 07:53 AM

They're all over the place.Posted Image

#18 of 25 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
I've downloaded close to 100 songs from iTunes, and have yet to come across a sound quality issue. I'm sure if I sat in my home theatre and just listened with no other distractions I could hear problems, but that's when you buy the CD.
Agreed Posted Image

If I want a full CD, I buy the CD, but if I want just one song, the $0.99 isn't going to kill me, even if it is a compressed format. The compression SURELY makes up for the $11 savings of having to buy a full CD for only 1 song.
Quote:
Itunes seems like a huge rip-off anyway.
Since when is $0.99 a rip off for a an MP4 song?
Quote:
At $1 per song, a 16 song album costs as much as a new CD (or twice as much as a used one)
--------------
It's also a rip-off for the artist
You advocate the purchasing of used CD's, yet you feel that Apple is ripping off artists? I don't recall any artist being compensated for every used CD being sold. At least iTunes gives them something.
Quote:
What I want is full quality files, then I'll pay for downloads.
You do know that they compress the audio (and video) on almost every DVD. Posted Image

#19 of 25 Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
The traditional recording industry is corrupt because the bulk of the $$$ goes to the record company rather than the artist. The artist provides the talent and the creativity and the music itself. The record company provides packaging and distribution. Who do you think deserves a larger portion of the pie?

If this were actually true, why would the artists continue to sign such contracts?

The primary thing the label provide is *capital*. If they could "artists", would just go public to raise capital - but they can't. Unknown artists are a bad investment.
Since the labels invest, they deserve to receive a return.
Once they have a hit record, maybe artist can just list themselves.

And of course there is a long list of people who need to be compensated:
songwriters/arranger
recording engineers
mixers
mastering engineers
studio musicians
producers

To the main question:
Itunes

pros:
buy only the tracks you want
instant gratification

cons:
sound quality is much inferior
no cover art

#20 of 25 Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 09:33 AM

I like iTunes for listening to songs on my PC and in the car. I don't buy too many full albums. I just pick and choose the songs I like and the will burn a CD to take into the car or something.

I hate how iTunes assumes that everyone owns an iPod and how it starts up the ipodservice.exe service application in the background. It's not a big deai to disable it, but there should be an option in the iTunes setup that will disable it.

Back to Computers

Forum Nav Content I Follow