Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

got serious feedback from somewhere in car.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   luke_ha

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 03:44 AM

ok here's whats up i have a 37' chevy sedan that i built myself and wired myself. stereo sounds great when car is not running but when it is running there is a loud buzz. It gets louder when i turn up the volume and rev the engine. running power dirctly from alt. to battery to amps to speakers. I have one fear when i bought the amps i went with reconditioned amps. Any thoughts to get me started?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 06:28 AM

Make sure you have a really solid ground. Normally noise is caused by a poor ground. Also check to see if you ran any wires near any thing that could be generating EMF... wich would be electrical items...there are really a ton of things that could cause it..but those 2 have a high %. good luck. Thomas

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark gas

Mark gas

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 02:51 PM

did you run the power wires and rca's together?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 02:55 PM

sounds like alternator noise... bad ground is possible. More likely the audio wires are not shielded/seperated enough from power and other electrical wires in the car... Troubleshooting and fixing this can be a MAJOR pain in the A$$. Luckily, if you wired it yourself, you should be able to fix it yourself. I'd start by seperating ALL of the audio wires from any other car wiring and making sure youre using good quality auto shielded cable.
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV..."

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 10:23 AM

Heya Luke, sounds like a nice ride you've got there. Posted Image

Is the whine coming from your alternator or from your speakers?

If it's from the alt, then you need to upgrade to a more powerful alternator and a larger capacity battery.

If it's from the speakers, especially from the mids and tweeters, then it's probably residual AC current from the alt causing the noise.

There are a few things you can do for this.
1. As it's been said, make sure you have a good ground. A good test for this is to make up a jumper wire, clip it to the neg terminal of the battery then to the amp and see if the noise changes.
2. Make sure your power wires and your audio wires are separated by at least 8 inches. Better yet run them on opposite sides of the vehicle.
3. Also make sure none of the wires are run along side any other wires (EMF) for any long lengths. Try to cross any other power wires at 90 degree angles if possible.
4. Keep all wires away from any electrical motors, plug wires, coil, distributor and any relays.
5. Finally, you can try a filter on your alternator output to dump that residual AC current. You can find these most anywhere, I know Crutchfield has them.

Good luck.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 01:44 AM

The best way is to make sure the ground for the head unit and amps/processors are grounded in the EXACT same place!!! So you do not get a ground loop. You may have to run a wire back to the amp grounding point. This will eleminate the noise. Shawn
Quote:Welcome to the Keeler Theatre

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   luke_ha

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 02:11 AM

i knew there would be a ton of possible problems. This will be a huge amount of work since i installed the interior in before i started up the car again to test the stereo. Made the mistake of thinkin"hey it sounds great lets move on." I was a huge novice at car audio and got all my info out of books and a bit of advice. well i am working in england right now so i wont be able to do anything for a while. but hopefully when i get home i can get it working out.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 08:19 PM

Good luck man, I have the same prob. I have shielded name brand RCAs and I seperated everything (power on left, RCA in middle, speakers on right) but I still hear an annoying whine. I'm guessing it's a weak grouund, either from the amps or the HU. I'll try your advice Bob and test it by hooking the jumper cable to the negative battery post and then clamping it to my amps' ground wires. Then I'll try the HU ground. If something explodes I'm suing, what's your address?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 12:15 PM

i have this excact same problem. Ive been searching for a clue for close to 3 months. fortunetly its in my 85 lesabre and i can live with it.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted March 29 2004 - 12:08 PM

I would amend the 'have a good ground' comments to 'have good groundS'. I installed 3 new 4 gauge ground wires: - Alt to chassis - neg battery terminal to chassis - Amp negative distribution block to chassis 99.9% of the 'whine' problems can be solved with these connections. Be sure that the chassis connections are to bare metal (and not paint). After attaching the cable hit the chassis area with some primer (to prevent rust). Running the interconnects away from the power wires is also a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users