Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2/24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#21 of 58 OFFLINE   Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the extensive roundup!

Despite the long list, there's not much I'll be picking up this week, probably just Chappelle. However, I'm intrigued by the "Zatoichi" disc that's listed for CC and Amazon. Is that the full title? Can anyone give me some more info?

Much appreciated,

- Bob

>> Update: After doing some digging, it looks like it's the 1989 "Zatoichi", aka, "Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi" -- listed as being made in 2003 on some sites -- which has a release date of 2/24. Guess I'll pass, though, as DeepDiscountDVD has it for $11.98! Posted Image

#22 of 58 OFFLINE   Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 10:15 AM

Richard III for me.

Finally!

#23 of 58 OFFLINE   Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure this was a mistake, but when I checked my local Worst Buy today to ask what the Dick Van Dyke Season 3 sets would sell for I was told "$69.99" which is the full retail price.

If this ends up being $54.99 or whatever the first two sets were without any opening week deal (as it appears there won't be) I may just hold off on this set until BB sends out one of their 10% coupons. I have been holding that $20 gift card I got from the non-rebate on Seasons 1 & 2 for several months for the specific purpose of buying season 3.

#24 of 58 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 11:29 AM

One Step Beyond has a 12-disc set being released Tuesday as well. Probably will have to order it online if you want it. Also, there is some mass confusion regarding all the different releases that Delta (?) has put out for OSB. I really can't shed any light on the subject, as they started out with a 2-disc release or something to that effect. And now they have 8- and 12-disc releases to boot. Last time I checked their own website, the releases didn't provide any info to clear up what episodes were on each set or how each set differed. Crazy.

#25 of 58 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 22 2004 - 12:42 PM

Quote:
One Step Beyond has a 12-disc set being released Tuesday as well. Probably will have to order it online if you want it.

Amazon's got it! For 76.49! It is AWOL at both BestBuy.com and Circuit City.com

Here's the Amazon description.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#26 of 58 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 12:47 PM

Nothing for me, but thanks.

#27 of 58 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 01:53 PM

Let's see...
Hamlet
Matchstick men
Pieces of April
Zatoichi

#28 of 58 OFFLINE   Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 02:34 PM

It's the 89 Zatoichi and it's bloody as hell! Good finale to the series. The transfer is very good and the sound is decent, too. A must buy.

Also, you guys check Fry's this week if you have one. They have a handful of DVD's for $4 and about 10 for $6.99 (don
't have the ad at hand).

Matt

PS- Blockbuster has Spy Kids 3-D as one of their $12.99 trade-in titles starting Tuesday.
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#29 of 58 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 05:40 PM

SI 2004 for me...
Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#30 of 58 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 01:12 AM

Just Voyager for me.

Everything else will have to be a rental.

Thanks Mike

Greg

#31 of 58 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 02:46 AM

To second the commendation above, Wisconsin Death Trip is a terrific picture that takes a look at the disturbing (and highly disturbed) life in the north woods a century ago. It's the spotlight disc at dOc this week. My review:

http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=5693

Amazon $25.46
Best Buy $24.99
Circuit City $24.99

No listings for Target or Costco.

#32 of 58 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,332 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 03:35 AM

Matchstick Men and
Pieces of April

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#33 of 58 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,442 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 04:50 AM

Nothing for me again thank God. Gotta save up for April and May onslaught.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#34 of 58 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 23 2004 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
It's Camp & My Life Without Me this week, but I'm still irked at these increased prices. Isn't there enough of us to tell the B & M's we're mad as hell, etc.?
There's a very simple way to send that message - don't buy the titles you feel are overpriced!!

I've found most releases are seeing price reductions within a year or so, and sometimes much less. For example, I was interested in last year's The Shape Of Things, which came out only a few months ago, but I wasn't going to pay $20+ for it. Last week I was in Best Buy and noticed it's now going for $9.99!

If you can wait a little bit, you can save a lot of money.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#35 of 58 OFFLINE   Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for your work, Mike and Patrick!

Just Spy Kids 3D for me (actually, my daughter) this week. Someone please post the Costco price for this if you see it. Thanks.

#36 of 58 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 23 2004 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
There's a very simple way to send that message - don't buy the titles you feel are overpriced!!

I've found most releases are seeing price reductions within a year or so, and sometimes much less.

If you can wait a little bit, you can save a lot of money.

Craig: Couldn't agree with you more. I'm actually waiting on several titles for them to go into the previously-viewed bins at either Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. The point is, it USED TO BE that release week was the way-to-go for new titles. It used to be that you wouldn't be able to find titles for any cheaper than in their first week of release. It really seems like the studios and retailers are getting away from that thinking and charging more upon first release and then bringing the prices down in a shorter time frame than was formerly the case. I think we are witnessing (actually, here, tracking) the reversal of a trend on the part of the industry.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#37 of 58 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,629 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 23 2004 - 07:10 AM

I've actually started avoiding release week "sales" and just waiting a few weeks when they're usually sold even cheaper. That or buying used from Blockbuster. Most of their pre-viewed discs are in surprisingly good condition (at least in my local store).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#38 of 58 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,282 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 07:58 AM

If you can wait 2 or 3 weeks after release Holly wood video ( at least where I am) starts putting them out for usually 2 for $20. They get so many copies of the new releases that they are choaking on the previewed, and many have been rented only a few times.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#39 of 58 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 09:19 AM

Mark Zimmer - I ordered Wisconsin Death Trip from DDD, which tops them all at under $22. Not bad! DVD Talk also has a great review up for it, but I don't have time to find it and link it at work. Posted Image

#40 of 58 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 10:29 AM

I'll be all over Pieces of April, hoping to find it for ca. $15 at Costco.
Blücher!

Forum Nav Content I Follow