What's new

digital camera help! (using Canon PowerShot A70) (1 Viewer)

Benny G

Second Unit
Ok, so I have the Canon PowerShot A70.

**I was trying to say exactly what I've done so far and what I've tried, but it got very confusing, so I deleted it.

I'll just ask:

For basketball games (pretty good lighting), about 15 feet from the court, what settings should I use for my digital camera? Specifically: ISO, shutter speed, aperture value.

I've tried lots of combinations, but nothing seems to give me even a printable picture when there's even just a bit of motion. The best I seem to have gotten so far come from ISO 200 and shutter speed around 1/200, with automatic aperture value. (using Tv setting on camera)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Benny,

Although it may still be a good idea to use automatic aperture/exposure, you won't have control over these values, so you must make sure what it's going to be. Look at the values chosen by the camera!
For a game (lots of movement), you must make sure the shutter speed is at least above 1/100 sec. and also higher for small angle settings. Rule-of-thumb: at least twice the focal length of the used lens or the zoomed value (value converted to 35mm film equivalent). Preferably faster.

So if your focal length (zoom value) is a 35mm-equivalent of 80mm, the least you need is 1/160 sec. (Note: I say "least", which refers to the nominator, of course. I mean: that or a shorter exposure.)

Adjust the sensitivity if necessary, sport photographers often use ISO values of 400 - 1000!

Hope this helps.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks