What's new

long component run ?? (1 Viewer)

Greg_Moorefi

Auditioning
I'm in the planning stage of my basement HT. Plan on controling everything through receiver, but i need to run 50' of component cables and 1 50' of S-video cable to the projection tv.
Will this (component) cable lose quality over that long run? Should i spend more on the cables to ensure it doesn't lose anything? I've found prices on component cables vary a great deal ($50 - $500) so i'm not sure if the extra expensive is worth it?
Thanks...

Chris White

Second Unit
Will this (component) cable lose quality over that long run?

No, it won't.

Should i spend more on the cables to ensure it doesn't lose anything?

Just make sure the cable is good quality RG6 (e.g., Canare or Belden) and the connectors are good. I recommend Canare connectors.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The component run will degrade far far less than the s-video run would. I am in a similar scenario but my runs are 34ft for each. I ended up spending most of my money on the s-video run.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm in the process of getting some Beldon 7710a cable to fab my own component cables as well. The cheapest price I've found is $5/ft.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I know it's steep, that's why I didn't buy it. I've still got a bunch of local contacts to hit before I start throwing any coins around.

Greg_Moorefi

Auditioning
thanks for the responses. I found the component cable at "cablestogo.com"... $35 seems a great price, but i wonder if its enough to ensure quality. The S-video is for the receiver's on-screen display and my laserdisc players video only. Will this distance effect quality?

sorry if i cannot mention the website, i'm new to this forum.
Also, what can i do about using a remote to control everything without pointing directly at my component rack?
Thanks again!

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
The gold standard in reasonably priced video cables is Belden 1694a. It is an RG-6 variant. Well under a buck a foot/strand and outstanding performance for HDTV component cables. Anything more is overkill, IMHO. You can build 'em yourself or have one of the cable building companies build 'em for you.

The 7710a Frank mentions is just 3 x 1694a cables in a plastic jacket. If you're running this in a wall, 3 individual strands of 1694a will be less expensive than 7710a.

I'm running a 35' RGBHV run of 1694a to my Sony G 70, which I run at 960 x 1440 x 72 Hz, which translates into more bandwidth by far than 720p or 1080i component. No visible degradation over a 3' run of the same cable.

Greg_Moorefi

Auditioning
great advise so far, now where do i shop for the Belden 1694a/Canare supplies? I really like the idea of DIY projects to reduce cost. Thanks again.

Daryl RL

Agent
Just search for it via Google and you'll find lots of sources. You'll probably have to buy 500 ft. of the cable but maybe not if you look hard. I've seen postings where people mentioned $.30+ per foot but I've seen it as low as $.23 per foot for 500 feet.

One killer is the price of the crimping tool and die if you go with the Canare connectors. Depending on how much cabling you plan on doing, places like BlueJeansCable.com can make them for you and their prices seem reasonable.

David WS

Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the 7710a a three RG6 bundle wrapped with tubing? That would get you closer to the $5 mark.

Daryl RL

Agent
I've seen the 7710a (before shipping) at somewhere around $1.45/ft but I'm not sure if it's in 500 ft. rolls only or by the foot. Looks like by the foot.

I don't know if I'm supposed to mention where here on these forums? Someone that knows (Frank) tell me! Or just send me an email and I'll tell you where. Same place where the 1694a is at $.23 per foot.

Daryl

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Buy enough of that RG6 cabling to for 2 more runs to make yourself an S-Video breakout cable too. Then, pick up two S-video to two BNC connector breakout for under $10 or so.

Jason D.

Agent
Or go to Home Depot and buy yourself a 500' roll of RG6 Quadshield and do the whole thing for ~$60 (w/o connectors of course). There are many opinions on cabling, and from experience I am of the opinion it is the single biggest place many people waste their money.

Now for connectors I have a slightly different opinion, but again you can go WAY overboard in my opinion here as well. I bet I could make a 30' run using my *cheap* cable and *less* expensive connectors that 99/100 people would not be able to tell from their several hundred dollar solution....but hey to each their own.

I would rather spend my $$$ on a better Pre/Pro, AMP, speakers, projector, or a whole hoast of other components and get more bang for my buck....but that's just me....and yes....I have bought some $300 2M cables....and yes I feel pretty stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks