What's new

Serial Mom full-screen only? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Phillips

Auditioning
Serial Mom is one of those "guilty pleasure" movies I'd like to pick up. However, according to Amazon, its full-screen only. Can someone tell me if that's correct and if so whether its P&S or open-matte?

I'd like to pick it up, preferably in wide screen but I could go along with an open-matte.

Kevin

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been dying to get Serial Mom and Cry Baby on DVD, but have been holding out seeing how they have no extras. The John Waters New Line releases all have great commentaries, and I'd hope that Universal would revisit these 2 to fill in the John Waters Collection gap.

Maybe they could do a franchise release? These are both released buy universal, right?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's 1.66:1 widescreen. Can't remember if it's anamorphic or not. Don't worry, it's not Full-Frame. It's a misprint.

The DVD also has a commentary by John Waters, and tons of TV-spots and I believe some interviews... all not mentioned on the package...

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
It's on my wish list to get.

Both Empire and Deep Discount say it's 1:33

So is it a misprint on the DVD or the websites?

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

On the websites as the DVD packaging makes no mention of the OAR at all.

--Ian

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
It's widescreen??? I've gone without it for like 3 years now because I thought it was full screen! Ah well, another LD finally bites the dust.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I waited a few months before reading somewhere online that it was wide, and finally decided to risk it. Well worth it. I got it for like 10 bucks...

Kevin Phillips

Auditioning
I saw it at Fries a while ago and, as was already mentioned, the box said nothing at all about it's aspect ratio. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it at the time. Damn funny movie.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The commentary by Waters on the DVD is pretty good, too.

The oddest thing I remember is that he mis-Identified the female rock band and "The Camel Lips," when, of course, they would be "The Camel Toes" based on their groin enhancements.

;)

Mark

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Just to confirm one more time — despite nothing on the packaging, the disc is indeed 1.66 non-anamorphic widescreen.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks for the info everyone.
Picked this up for $5.50 today and then, at home, started searching the package for the aspect ratio. It is not there.
Good to know I won't have to return this.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I got this movie from the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart. And although it says nothing about aspect ratio on the back, the movie I have is FULL SCREEN. Now, maybe there are multiple versions, but I'm not sure how you'd tell them apart.

BTW Mark, on the commentary, Waters does mention "Camel Toes" and how that is an alternate to the "Camel Lips" name he used for the band.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Full Screen is the only version available.

It crops beautifully zoomed in on a 16x9 screen. It's obvious that it was shot full frame but composed so it could be masked in theaters.

Of course a new anamorphic transfer would be nice, but at this price I'm very happy with this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks