What's new

Tarzan Boxset (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for a 5-disc TARZAN (Weismuller/MGM) Box Set. It includes the 6 MGM Tarzans on 4 discs (the last two featuring double features a la the Marx brothers). Plus one disc of Tarzan perks. Announced for June 1, 2004!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
This sounds like a terrific set! I love the old Tarzan movies, particularly the still-very-sexy "Tarzan and His Mate". Something for the guys and the gals to enjoy there. I wasn't expecting extras, but a disc-full would be a dream come true. AMC showed a great documentary on Tarzan movies that I'd love to see show up here. This will surely be one of my birthday presents.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news. If this set is as good as the Marx Bros. set with the extras and all it will be fantastic! I will get it for the films with or without extras though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

The VHS versions were uncut so I would expect these to be as well.

Thanks for the heads up Charles about Movies Unlimited. By the way, the site now says that this a 4 disc collection. Presumably the 6 movies are all on double discs with one disc of bonus features. MSRP is $60 although I'm sure actual street prices will be much lower.

Oscar, the link is here although you may have to do a "search by title" since I couldn't link to the exact page.

The AMC documentary was indeed excellent. I'm hoping that it is included so I can retire my off air VHS copy. The ultimate bonus feature, in my opinion, would be the segment of the Johnny Carson Tonight Show where he invited the surviving Tarzans to appear on his show. I have vague recollections of seeing this back in the 1970s.

I really would like to see this set do well so that the entire Weismuller series will be released (including the Brenda Joyce films).

Steve

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming so too, but you never know when the PC Police are going to rear their heads & kick up a storm about something. ;)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Shhhh....let's all be very, very quiet and maybe the PC Wackos won't notice that this coming out :)

Just be thankful this is owned by Warners and not Fox. Warners doesn't buckle to PC forces.

I think the upcoming Warners chat may be the first where the entire chat consists of "thank yous" instead of questions!

Steve

Blu

Screenwriter
I sure hope they are uncut as well!
I remember a scene in Tarzan and his Mate where Maureen O'Sullivan is kind of crouching and you can tellShe has a landing strip under that loin cloth

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from today's Bits

Not done yet, folks! Warner has just announced a Tarzan Collection box set featuring 6 classic films for June 8th (SRP $59.92). Included will be Tarzan the Ape Man, Tarzan Escapes, Tarzan and His Mate, Tarzan Finds a Son, Tarzan's Secret Treasure and Tarzan's New York Adventure (1942). The films will be arranged 2 per disc, and the set will include a 4th disc of just special features, among with you'll find a feature-length documentary on Johnny Weissmuller and the history of the Tarzan character. Also coming on 6/8 are Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan and Tarzan, the Ape Man (1981).

absolutely fantastic news that there will be a feature length documentary. The best news is that Greystoke is also coming out on the same day.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never seen these, but I'll be buying the set blind. I've never heard any complaints about these!:emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Can't wait to buy this set!

I saw the first Tarzan movie on TCM about a month ago and loved it. I definitely want to see "Tarzan & His Mate" with the scene that I won't mention so as not to alert the PC police.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Sensational news! I love the original Weissmuller/O'Sullivan Tarzans. How great that WB is giving them the deluxe treatment.....:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Blu- if it is, i'd pass on the whole set.

but just to show how much of a perv i am, after extensive testing i'm pretty confident that its just loin cloth anyway.

i'm kind of disappointed that these aren't being released individually.
i would definitely pick up Mate, and probably the first film sometime afterwards, but i really don't have any interest in the rest-
Weismueller came across as too much of a doofus to me and even worse, Maureen is covered up in her cold weather/Hayes approved™ jungle attire.

it would be nice if Paramount could get some of the Gordon Scott Tarzans out.
when i finally saw them on AMC a few years back, i was surprised how enjoyable they were.

i wonder if the AMC doc is going to be the one on the discs?

Blu

Screenwriter
I love all of the JW Tarzan movies!
I just can't wait, I wish TCM or AMC would have Tarzan marathons every once in a while.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I love ALL 6 of these movies, and I'm jazzed that Warner is releasing them in such a reasonably priced set (basically $10 per film SRP). I would imagine Amazon or DDD will have this for around $40. Quite a great deal.

I'm assuming Warner has created a new docu for this set as the AMC docu relied heavily on trailers and cheap-O P.D. footage, whereas Warner owns pretty much the whole Tarzan library outright.

Looking forward to future details on this.....

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Great news! Will this be a digipak? I hope so -- snapper cases make me cringe.

Someone tell me what all this "uncut" and "PC" talk is about, please! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks