-

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung DLP: The Final Bout!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 08:23 PM

I am in the market for a new TV. I have narrowed my choice down to the Samsung DLP's. At one point I was convinced on getting one model, then I changed my mind, and now I have no clue what to think.

The TV's I am looking at are:
Samsung 50" DLP
Samsung 46" DLP

From what I have learned, the only differences are aesthetical and price. Am I wrong? Which would you prefer?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 12:37 AM

Merimac,
I too was considering a Samsung DLP but I have since then decided to go another route. One thing to consider is that the NEW HD2+ Chipped DlP's are coming in a few months so if you can hold off you should get a better set.
Try This link on for size for more information. In short I think its worth the wait if you are completely settled on the Samsung DLP's. Personally when it comes time I would buy the biggest set you can w/o going too big for your room and viewing distance.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 05:01 AM

Hmm, nice link Shane. I wonder if I should wait and consider one of those DLP's over the Sony LCD's I've been looking at.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   MarcEstrada

MarcEstrada

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 05:05 AM

The new sets are also supposed to be shipping with a new 7-segment color wheel, which will help with the green or red tint that some users have reported seeings. Other possibilities I've read about are either 2 DVI ports or 1 DVI port and 1 HDMI port.

There are two different models for the 50" DLPs. The HLN5065 and the HLN507. They are identical aside from bezel color/shape. I prefer the x07's (thinner bezel), but it wasn't available in the 61" model so I have the thicker, black bezel instead.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris Kampmann

Chris Kampmann

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 06:00 AM

Hello,
I recently bought the Samsung HLN437W for my home. So far I really like it but wouldn't mind the Newer Model. Would there be any way to find out if they're going to keep that 43" Model, It didn't have it on that link. But unfortunaltly I have a dedicated space for it to fit in and can not go up to a 46". I have 2 weeks to figure it out because I only have 30 days to return it to Circuit City. Thanks in advance!
Chris Kampmann

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 06:07 AM

To my knowledge the 43" is going away and their smallest set is the 46". If its in that link its going to come out, if not then it's not.
Quote:
I wonder if I should wait and consider one of those DLP's over the Sony LCD's I've been looking at.
I was going to. I ended up getting the go ahead on a crt based one for now and I can put the savings towards a better audio system. This is of course the choice I decided to make. It's not a universal choice for everyone.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 06:44 AM

Wow, what a time frame. 3 months. That's like the time frame that presents the largest decision making problem. If it was 2 months, I would wait no doubt. If it was 5 months, I would purchase now. 3 months though, geeze, that's a borderline time frame.

My only question is, if HD3 is a better chip, then why does the lower end model have it, but the higher end's have HD2?

-edit-
Thanks alot for the info though Shane. Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
My only question is, if HD3 is a better chip, then why does the lower end model have it, but the higher end's have HD2?
The HD3 chip is not the better chip. It's just cheaper to make. The hd2+ chip is better(more contrast etc). The higher end will have the HD2+ chip and the even more higher end ones will eventually have the XHD3+ which will be quite expensive.

If you have other questions, fire away.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

After going around to various Home Theater shops today I have decided to consider a projector. The one I am specifically looking at right now is the Infocus Screenplay 5700.

I am relatively new to projectors. My question is this, do they work like TV's resolution wise. As in, you play a DVD and it auto switches to 480p? Also, what are some of the higher end projectors poeple really like? Basically give me the lowdown.
Posted Image

Thanks.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 03:32 PM

Lots of pros and cons:

1. I've seen rainbows more often on FPTV than RPTV. In fact I've never seen one on a Samsung and see htem all the time on various DLP fptv's.

2. Lighting is an issue. Most projectors don't do well in light. If this is going to be a basement then a projector will be nice.

3. Shorter bulb life on a projector. The Samsung uses one but its like 6 to 8,000 hours. The bulb on the pj will be near 2-3k.

4. Less resolution. The matterhorn is 1024 x768 dlp and the one in the new Samsung is the DLP HD2+ chip which is in the 10k+ DLp projectors.

5. Pj's produce a larger picture.

If a Pj was the route I was to go, then I'd be all over the new Sony HS20 for $3,200 MSRP(cheaper elsewhere) then quietly wait until 1080p projectors become affordable.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 04:05 PM

The Infocus screenplay 5700 does 1080p, although it does cost about $4,000 USD. At least from what I have seen.

My main concern is the resolution factor. I don't understand projector resolutions all that much. Often they are denoted in PC monitor resolutions, IE: 800x600, and I have no idea how that translates into 1080i type lingo. If anything, I would say 800x600 is a way lower resolution than 1080i.

The projector/tv will be in a basement with very controllable lighting. The room is about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide. So I think a projector would be very nice, but the picture quality makes me nervous.

Today I saw the Infocus screenplay 4800 in a controlled home theater environment. Some HD satellite was demoed as well as the Gladiator DVD on a Denon DVD player. The satellite HD was nice, not the greatest, but nice and the DVD was very un-impressive to me. I never saw any rainbows though, I looked, but couldn't see any.

On the other hand, I have demoed the Samsung DLP TV's several times, and have been equally stunned by the picture each time. The great range of colour and definition, whether it be on DVD's or HD cable really impressed me.

Price could sway me towards projectors, but so far it is just the whole theater experience gained from a projector that makes me want one. But then there is the picture that un-impressed me. I am thinking it could have just been the projector though, perhaps it wasn't very good.

To my understanding, a good projector will cost basically the same amount as the TV I want. I could be wrong though. From what I have seen, both cost around $5,000-$6,000 CAD. TV's require stands, which can be costly, up to $700 CAD and Projectors have screens, I have no idea how much they cost. I think it would even out though.

So I guess it mainly comes down to me going out and seeing more projectors. If you have any comments on what I said though, please, feel free to express them.

Posted Image

-edit-

I have also been told Projector bulbs will last just as long as TV bulbs (speaking DLP ofcourse, as is my whole post), and cost the same.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 20 2004 - 12:45 AM

Quote:
I have also been told Projector bulbs will last just as long as TV bulbs (speaking DLP ofcourse, as is my whole post), and cost the same
Cost is the same yes, the length they last is wrong.
Quote:
IE: 800x600, and I have no idea how that translates into 1080i type lingo. If anything, I would say 800x600 is a way lower resolution than 1080i
1080 is 1920x1080 so does the Infocus do that natively?
No it doesn't.

To my knowledge there isn't a 1080p projector on the market lower than 20k right now.
Quote:
Today I saw the Infocus screenplay 4800 in a controlled home theater environment. Some HD satellite was demoed as well as the Gladiator DVD on a Denon DVD player. The satellite HD was nice, not the greatest, but nice and the DVD was very un-impressive to me. I never saw any rainbows though, I looked, but couldn't see any.

On the other hand, I have demoed the Samsung DLP TV's several times, and have been equally stunned by the picture each time. The great range of colour and definition, whether it be on DVD's or HD cable really impressed me.
The differences here are the resolution. The Samsungs have more of it right now for the $$. Then again you might be able to get a 1280x720 native DLP for around the same cost.

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow