-

Photo
- - - - -

Marantz MM9000 Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 07:31 AM

I finally got around to fully testing my new Maranztz MM9000 amp. In the same financial constraints as many of you, I wanted to upgrade my system, but I have been short on cash. I have a Sony DB930 receiver, Pinnacle Gold Towers/Center, Axiom QS-8 surrounds, Klipsch KSW-12 sub, Pioneer 563a SACD/DVD-A. None of my stuff is spectacular, but well matched to each other. I was happy with the sound when it was processed with movies/cds or other EQ’d sources, but thought it was lacking with the analog direct modes playing music. Since I am about 70/30 Music/Movies, I thought it was worth the experiment to try this amp from Accessories 4 Less for $621, when local dealers still wanted $1000.

Using the Sony as a preamp and connected with Ixon cables, I methodically listened to my favorite tracks for many hours. For all those who are wondering if it is worth a try, it is a definite YES.

The sound is punchier, fuller, and more defined at a lower volume setting. It’s also much more musical sounding with Alan Parsons, Toto, Areosmith, Yes, Doobie Bros, Eagles and Elton John SACD/DVD-A. But even more than that, there is a certain silkiness now, a much smoother top end that is amazing. I heard some synth, guitar and horn parts that I never, ever heard, and being a musician, believe me, I listened to this stuff over and over.

I am sure that sound wise, it is nothing near what some of you have produced with the high end equipment you invested in. But for a solid, low budget upgrade to step into the path of separates, I highly recommend this unit for anyone in a similar boat as I am. The money I saved on the amp will be put towards a new preamp, if I can decide on one at the Home Theater show in May.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   George Caronan

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 07:45 AM

CraigerM,

I have this amp and yes, it is quite musical. I like the build along with the quality of the components used. I'm glad I picked up one. Excellent unit for the price. I ran the Led-Zeppelin DVD which gave it so much more body than the Sherwood AM-9080 that I was using beforehand. All in all, a bargain. THX Ultra Certifed too. Cheers.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Felix_H

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 07:55 AM

I agree. For the price, you cant go wrong for the 5 channels. It should last you awhile...or longer.

Congrats on your satisfying purchase.

BTW. I do not own own. I almost did though.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 18 2004 - 09:19 AM

No replacement for displacement Posted Image (except boost Posted Image ) A big, clean amp can only add to the experience.

Last night, I fired up my mains, GR Research A/V-2s, on two Marantz MA500 monoblocks. Though I have already been running them via an 8300 (rated 125wpc @ 8 Ohms), the 500s running 180w @ 4 Ohms made a noticable difference in clarity and really brought a new level of sublte detail out. I popped in material that I use to audition, that I am very familiar with, and have heard on a number of nice systems, and I still began hearing minute details I hadn't heard before.

Congrats on the MM9000. Had that deal been around earlier, I probably would have gone with a 7400 and the 9000 instead of the 8300, but I got the 500s for a very good price.

Never worry about the "level" of your gear, as long as it makes you happy.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein