What's new

Need a new cell phone (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hello - I'm posting here because I'd rather get some info here than from a cell phone salesman.

I have an exisiting phone and service from ATT Wireless. I believe the contract expired a long time ago. Its my understanding that once the contract expires, you go month to month and can leave the service at any time without a penalty. Is this true?

If so, I'd like to get a new service and a new phone. I'd stick with ATT Wireless if they'd give me a new phone (or a big discount). Otherwise, I have no problem switching companies.

I like the idea of Bluetooth phones where one can control it and sync it to a computer (my Powerbook has a Bluetooth adapter built in) and new cars have Bluetooth as well. Also, when Apple demo'd Bluetooth technology, it was claimed that you could connect to the internet via your Bluetooth phone. Is that possible? What kind of service do I need to do that?

finally, I see that a lot of phones have the ability to browse web pages. Does this work or is it not ready at this point?

What kind of phone should I get??? Thanks.

VinhT

Second Unit
If you are interested in a Bluetooth phone, you may want to check out the Motorola v600. Unfortunately, it may be a while before it is officially released in the US.

Nearly all phones sold these days have WAP browsers and the ability to view a limited number of web pages. If you want to view any regular website however, I think you may need a phone/PDA device that has Internet Explorer.

I am currently using AT&T with a Samsung x426 (a merely okay phone). As a young person, one of the problems I have encountered with AT&T is that the phone selection is not as good as the other major carriers when it comes to high-end phones.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
We've (Cingular) just started peddling the Handspring Treo which is a Palm PDA and phone all in one.

I've never used it though... I don't get to play with the cool toys much anymore since I'm not connected with the sales group. :angry:

Honestly, I think it's just a matter of time before you can watch TV on your cell phone... It's about the only thing left to add to 'em. They'll probably have a built in PVR too. :)

David-S

Second Unit
For bluetooth you would have to go with AT&T, Cingular, or T-Mobile (no CDMA bluetooth phones out right now, which is what Verizon and Sprint use)...

T-Mobile has (by far) the cheapest data rates, with unlimited data at something like 20-30 a month, while AT&T and cingular are more... So if you plan to use this a lot, that might be the best option (depending on coverage)....

I assume you know you can port your number to a new carrier, keeping it...

Devin U

Second Unit
If you can wait a month or two, get the Treo 600 though Tmobile. I dont know if it has bluetooth built in, but you can add a SD bluetooth expantion card. Plus, unlimited GRPS for 20 bucks a month.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle

I thought Sprint already had this. They were showing me one of their camera phones the othe other day that had this feature if you are willing to pay for it.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

What is GPRS? Is that the data connectivity? Is that what I need to connect my laptop via Bluetooth to the internet?

As for phone plans, the latest Verizon plan allows you to call anyone on Verizon for free. I suppose we'll see other providers follow suit. Whats next to compete then? It won't be long until its one rate with unlimited calls to anyone.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
With AT&T wireless if you mention the web pricing for new customers and decline all other offers. They will match the web prices.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Sprint has a bluetooth phone. It has poor battery time and is no longer being supported by Sony ericcson. It does work c Apple's Address book but not c iCal. Connecting to the internet does work, even from a backpack. New contracts may not be able to get unlimited "Vision" plan though. I bought the phone around Christmas and it is hard to find by now. Please drive around with the phone, not all services have coverage appropriate for everyone.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Some friendly advice, buy a phone for phone qualities first and then gizmoes second. Then make certain it will work at your home, work, and favorite hangout location. Then make certain you can have a reasonable buyer's remorse period to test drive it so to speak, and make certain it's in writing (most carriers have a rental service as well). Finally make certain to read the contract before signing.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I decided to forgo the snazzy features and stay with a TDMA phone. I got the Nokia 3560. Its color, has vibrate, and probably a lot of other stuff.

Now, I have to figure out if I can download ringtones - I have a strange desire to have In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida... :D

SethH

Senior HTF Member
So did you stay with ATT? When my ATT contract ran out they simply renewed it for another year without consulting me. If you want to end it you have to notify them 30 days before the end of the contract. If you did stay with ATT and got a TDMA phone I hope things work out because ATT/Cingular is in the process of going all GSM, but it will probably take a while to accomplish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks