-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Green Hornet news...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 02:21 AM

Kevin Smith to Write and Direct The Green Hornet

http://www.superhero...ndex.php?id=866

#2 of 55 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 02:35 AM

And confirmed by Kevin Smith as well...

Quote:
An explanation of how I was scooped

So there I was, sitting in bed, waiting ‘til midnight to break with the big news (you might have even noticed I hit a few posts below, while I was killing time). And as the witching hour rolled ‘round, I cracked my knuckles and prepared to divulge the info I’ve been sitting on for roughly three months now…

...only to discover my DSL connection had suddenly went dead.

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and Moves.

Oh well. Cat’s out of the bag. Yes – I’ve been handed Miramax’s biggest movie to date (unless you count “Gangs of New York”, which was rumored to cost a hundred million or something). It may not be big news to some here (or to any folks who aren’t into comic book movies). But it sure as shit's big news to me. Big, wonderful news. I still can’t believe it…

But not as much as I can’t believe my DSL connection quit on me the one time I really, really wanted to post something.

Thanks for your patience over these past few weeks. Remind me never to do a Big News thing again.

Now...

Any questions?

Jason

#3 of 55 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted February 18 2004 - 09:12 AM

Having grown up with the original TV show (not the radio... not THAT old), I have been waiting for the DVD release of the entire run. Perhaps with this new film, it will finally happen.

I have read various reports in the past few years concerning this project. Last I heard, Jet Li was up for Kato. Before that, the guy who played Bruce Lee in that movie about him (Way of the Dragon? Name escapes me).

Being that they are supposedly staying true to the character, I wonder if they'll mention his great great great grandfather, John Reid. Otherwise known as The Lone Ranger.

And of course, you must retain theme "Flight of the Bumble Bee". Is Al Hirt still around?

#4 of 55 Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 10:20 AM

I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Only problem I have with this is that it looks like we're never gonna see Fletch Won Posted Image.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#5 of 55 Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 11:17 AM

Fletch Won is being shot before this is. I think he confirms it somewhere else.

#6 of 55 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
the guy who played Bruce Lee in that movie about him (Way of the Dragon? Name escapes me).

Jason Scott Lee, no relations to Bruce. The movie was Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#7 of 55 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 12:14 PM

I'm very nervous about how Kevin Smith will handle action. I really enjoy his scripts but so far he seems at a complete loss at what to do with the camera.

#8 of 55 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 12:24 PM

Years ago I thought Dolph Lundgren and Jackie Chan would have been the perfect pair for Green Hornet.

Now, Jet Li or Jason Scott Lee for Kato. Seriously, JSL does direct-to-video sequels now. He'd do it in a heartbeat. Don't know if Jet would.

For the Green Hornet, I don't know.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#9 of 55 Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted February 18 2004 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'm very nervous about how Kevin Smith will handle action. I really enjoy his scripts but so far he seems at a complete loss at what to do with the camera.

Jersey Girl was photographed by the legendary cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, so it's a good bet Kevin's picked up some pointers. Even he knows his films traditionally have had little camera movement, but even Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was more kinetically dynamic than his other films (granted, it was a comedy, but it WAS "on the move").

Besides, with the budget on this one, he'll likely be able to afford any number of excellent action photographers.

I'm curious as to how Quentin Tarantino's taking this news.

#10 of 55 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,260 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 12:49 AM

I'm nervous about Smith too. He definitely has a loyal following but never has been able to break out to a wider audience.

The plus on his side is his affection for the material and his knowledge.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#11 of 55 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 01:05 AM

After Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story came out, there was talk of doing a updated Green Hornet with JSL as Kato.

#12 of 55 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
After Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story came out, there was talk of doing a updated Green Hornet with JSL as Kato.

And George Clooney as The Green Hornet.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#13 of 55 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Fletch Won is being shot before this is. I think he confirms it somewhere else.

There hasn't been any info for Fletch Won for a long time, and this is supposed to shoot next summer, so I don't think it will happen before Green Hornet.

The Clerks animated film has more of a chance.

Quote:

A good DP will solve a lot of those problems. I'm sure Harvey will give him the tools he needs to succeed here...

Jason

#14 of 55 Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 07:02 PM

it was mentioned by kevin in his QandA that the lone ranger will not be in it, as they dont have the rights to that character.

The filming of Fletch Won and ranger danger has been moved back one year.
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#15 of 55 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,772 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 03:32 AM

Columbia has optioned the rights to Green Hornet, according to a press release from the company.

Here's a quote:
Quote:
The studio will adapt The Green Hornet into a feature film produced by Neal H. Moritz and Original Film, it was announced today by Matt Tolmach and Doug Belgrad, presidents of production for Columbia Pictures.
Columbia optioned the rights to The Green Hornet from Moritz who acquired the rights from Green Hornet Inc. Commenting on the announcement, Moritz said, "I couldn't be more thrilled to be developing this world renowned property with the people who brought Spider-Man to the screen. I can't imagine a studio better
equipped or more prepared to handle this kind of material than Sony. With the radio show, television program, comic books, and novels, there is ample source material to bring this classic crime-fighter to life."
Tolmach said, "We have an enormous amount of passion and commitment to this character and are looking forward to developing The Green Hornet into what we hope will be an amazing new franchise for the studio."

#16 of 55 Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 07:16 AM

i don't see much of an appeal for this flick...wouldn't be shocked if it were straight to video.

#17 of 55 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted March 21 2007 - 11:37 AM

I've been collecting the series off of Retroplex TV. I loved this as a kid and am enjoying them again now. If done with respect to the source, could be a hit for sure. Of course, we need Jet Li as Kato.

Britt Reid, the Green Hornnet is the great great ( I may be a great off) grandson of John Reid.... The Lone Ranger.

#18 of 55 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,772 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 12:06 AM

Seems to me that if marketed right, a Green Hornet film could appeal to audiences in the same way a Sin City, Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four did. It won't be a blockbuster like Spider-Man or Batman or Superman, but it could do very well nonetheless.

#19 of 55 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,026 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted March 22 2007 - 01:00 AM

Three years have passed since this thread was started. Is Kevin Smith still on board to write and direct it?

Why has there been such a long quiet spell?
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#20 of 55 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
Three years have passed since this thread was started. Is Kevin Smith still on board to write and direct it?

Nope. He bowed out some time ago. He didn't think he could do it justice.

Jason

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow