What's new

"It Came From Hollywood" OOP? Recalled? (1 Viewer)

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I was under a rock. I just found out that Paramount's b-movie spoof/tribute "It Came From Hollywood" was released on DVD summer of 2002 (in widescreen, no less), but it's already discontinued. :frowning:
Was this title recalled shortly after being released?
Different price-check searches list only a few stores that still have a listing indicating that it ever existed. More puzzling is that currently no new or used copies can be found on ebay or half.com (but a few used VHS tapes are listed for $100+ each).
Does anyone know what happened to the original release or if there are any plans to re-issue this title?

George_C

Auditioning
You know, I noticed this apparent DVD release quite some time ago, did a whole lot of research, and couldn't find a single shred of proof that it actually ever was released. Not a single used copy, no definitive dates, not even a DVD review (the reviews I did read were always followed by a "Based on VHS release" disclaimer). It is however on both DVD Profiler (without a picture of the back though, you'd think a DVD out since 2001 would have a picture of the back), and DVD Aficionado.
I came to the conclusion that this is a planned release, and that the official release date has been changed so many times that the websites that have listings for it are all skewed. When it's actually going to be released? I couldn't figure that out either, and even Paramount didn't have a straight answer form me. You gotta figure, if it did have a limited release, or slipped through the cracks for a few days a-la Ed Wood you'd see at least one copy on ebay, somebody would be capitalizing on such an apparently scarce release.
I have the VHS, it really is a fantastically funny movie, but the VHS isn't worth more than $10-$20 bucks tops, so anyone asking anything more than that is smoking the good stuff;)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If I remember correctly from nearly 2 years ago, Paramount did, in fact, announce this for release back then, but they did cancel it before the actual release. I don't remember if a reason was ever given for the cancellation.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was announced, artwork released, up for pre-order, and a couple weeks before release, was pulled. Rights issues are the common theory.

I think a few copies may have slipped out as Half and Ebay had a few upon release.

Fun film, wish it would get a release. I was looking forward to getting it so was upset when it was cancelled.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd buy this in a heartbeat! I used to love this when I was a kid. It shows regularly on Bravo here in Canada, so I guess I'll wait for it to show again and tape it until I can buy it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
resurrection!

Just watched the bad quality copy I had of this film, first time in MANY years, and just loved it all over again. Would sure love to see it get some kind of release finally. old vhs recordings, bootlegs, ...etc. Just a shame they can't work it out. Terror in the Aisles got out, on BLU no less!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Many of the movies featured later became MST3K episodes. The usual suspects that prevent Shout Factory from releasing certain episodes are probably involved here.

I have ICFH on Laserdisc, and it looks pretty good for it's age.

There is another movie with a similar theme, Invasion Earth:The Aliens Are Here. It's been out on DVD in the UK for a while.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Shout! definitely come to my mind... who knows, maybe they'll announce it some day by surprise.

I read there was a laserdisc. A very nice possession. Im definitely glad I have at least something to remember this by. We got cable just as this was playing quite a few times on HBO.

Never heard of Invasion Earth. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I actually saw it some time.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Has it been on cable anywhere lately? Comedy Central used to run it once in a while, slightly censored.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The film's genesis came from the Golden Turkey Awards books by the Medved Brothers, but got morphed into a sorta Cult Movie version of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! series. It features clips from dozens of B movies separated into segments like: Aliens, Gorillas, Monsters, The Brain, Giants and Tiny People, Technical Triumphs, Troubled Teenagers, Prevues/Coming Attractions and A Salute to Edward D. Wood, Jr.. The chapters were hosted by Comedians Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Cheech and Chong and Gilda Radner.

IT moves pretty quickly and has some laughs along its 80 minute runtime. IT was where I first encounted the glories of THE GIANT CLAW on the big screen! Some of the dozens of movies excerpted include PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, ROBOT MONSTER, THE CRAWLING EYE, TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE, REPTILICUS, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN and ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES.

Unfortunately, Directors Malcolm & Andrew Solt included clips from some very good movies including THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and THE DAY THE EARTH STILL (and over the objections of the oriiginal Director and the Medveds). It definitely takes away from the experience, and some of the comedy intros seem quickly tossed together.

Unfortunately, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD hasn't been available legally since the days of VHS and Laserdisc because of rights issues over the myriad of clips. A DVD was announced 20 years ago, but never issued. You can easily find it on YouTube and through grey-marked DVD dealers. It's worth seeking out.

Attachments

• Itcame3.jpg
    Itcame3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 53

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The film's genesis came from the Golden Turkey Awards books by the Medved Brothers, but got morphed into a sorta Cult Movie version of the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! series. It features clips from dozens of B movies separated into segments like: Aliens, Gorillas, Monsters, The Brain, Giants and Tiny People, Technical Triumphs, Troubled Teenagers, Prevues/Coming Attractions and A Salute to Edward D. Wood, Jr.. The chapters were hosted by Comedians Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Cheech and Chong and Gilda Radner.

IT moves pretty quickly and has some laughs along its 80 minute runtime. IT was where I first encounted the glories of THE GIANT CLAW on the big screen! Some of the dozens of movies excerpted include PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, ROBOT MONSTER, THE CRAWLING EYE, TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE, REPTILICUS, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN and ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES.

Unfortunately, Directors Malcolm & Andrew Solt included clips from some very good movies including THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and THE DAY THE EARTH STILL (and over the objections of the oriiginal Director and the Medveds). It definitely takes away from the experience, and some of the comedy intros seem quickly tossed together.

Unfortunately, IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD hasn't been available legally since the days of VHS and Laserdisc because of rights issues over the myriad of clips. A DVD was announced 20 years ago, but never issued. You can easily find it on YouTube and through grey-marked DVD dealers. It's worth seeking out.
That is just SAD!!! it is from Paramount, do they even know that they own it? LOL!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I thought Kino Lorber announced they were releasing this either a few months ago or sometime last year.
I think you're confusing it with "Really Weird Tales" that had allot of the Second City cast like John Candy, Martin Short, Joe Flaherty and Catherine O'Hara...I'd love to see it released as well!!
What's weird is I do remember seeing another similar title with trailers from many of the films mentioned, maybe I saw it on cable or streamed, I've searched and just can't find it....

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I thought Kino Lorber announced they were releasing this either a few months ago or sometime last year.
Just googled it yet again. Nothing along those lines.

The only articles that come up after my post was written, are ones pointing to bootlegs and streams on websites like youtube and internet archive based on old masters.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just googled it yet again. Nothing along those lines.

The only articles that come up after my post was written, are ones pointing to bootlegs and streams on websites like youtube and internet archive based on old masters.
yep, me too!!!
forget it jake its chinatown GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks