Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"It Came From Hollywood" OOP? Recalled?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 10:14 PM

I guess I was under a rock. I just found out that Paramount's b-movie spoof/tribute "It Came From Hollywood" was released on DVD summer of 2002 (in widescreen, no less), but it's already discontinued. Posted Image

Was this title recalled shortly after being released?

Different price-check searches list only a few stores that still have a listing indicating that it ever existed. More puzzling is that currently no new or used copies can be found on ebay or half.com (but a few used VHS tapes are listed for $100+ each).

Does anyone know what happened to the original release or if there are any plans to re-issue this title?
"I don't want my B&W films colorized, my films cropped in any way (including matting 4:3 OAR TV for 16x9 TV!!) or my Star Wars films 'special editioned'!"
Preserve our film history for future generations!

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   George_C

George_C

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 10:37 PM

You know, I noticed this apparent DVD release quite some time ago, did a whole lot of research, and couldn't find a single shred of proof that it actually ever was released. Not a single used copy, no definitive dates, not even a DVD review (the reviews I did read were always followed by a "Based on VHS release" disclaimer). It is however on both DVD Profiler (without a picture of the back though, you'd think a DVD out since 2001 would have a picture of the back), and DVD Aficionado.

I came to the conclusion that this is a planned release, and that the official release date has been changed so many times that the websites that have listings for it are all skewed. When it's actually going to be released? I couldn't figure that out either, and even Paramount didn't have a straight answer form me. You gotta figure, if it did have a limited release, or slipped through the cracks for a few days a-la Ed Wood you'd see at least one copy on ebay, somebody would be capitalizing on such an apparently scarce release.

I have the VHS, it really is a fantastically funny movie, but the VHS isn't worth more than $10-$20 bucks tops, so anyone asking anything more than that is smoking the good stuffPosted Image

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 06:44 AM

If I remember correctly from nearly 2 years ago, Paramount did, in fact, announce this for release back then, but they did cancel it before the actual release. I don't remember if a reason was ever given for the cancellation.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 06:47 AM

It's indefinitely on hold due to clip licensing issues.
I don't like SPAM!

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 11:42 AM

Yes, it was announced, artwork released, up for pre-order, and a couple weeks before release, was pulled. Rights issues are the common theory. I think a few copies may have slipped out as Half and Ebay had a few upon release. Fun film, wish it would get a release. I was looking forward to getting it so was upset when it was cancelled.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,303 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 18 2004 - 02:28 PM

I'd buy this in a heartbeat! I used to love this when I was a kid. It shows regularly on Bravo here in Canada, so I guess I'll wait for it to show again and tape it until I can buy it.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,206 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 01 2013 - 07:36 AM

resurrection! 

Just watched the bad quality copy I had of this film, first time in MANY years, and just loved it all over again.  Would sure love to see it get some kind of release finally.  old vhs recordings, bootlegs, ...etc.  Just a shame they can't work it out.  Terror in the Aisles got out, on BLU no less! 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 02:39 PM

Many of the movies featured later became MST3K episodes. The usual suspects that prevent Shout Factory from releasing certain episodes are probably involved here.

I have ICFH on Laserdisc, and it looks pretty good for it's age.

There is another movie with a similar theme, Invasion Earth:The Aliens Are Here. It's been out on DVD in the UK for a while.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,206 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 03:51 PM

Shout! definitely come to my mind...  who knows, maybe they'll announce it some day by surprise. 

I read there was a laserdisc.  A very nice possession.  Im definitely glad I have at least something to remember this by.  We got cable just as this was playing quite a few times on HBO. 

Never heard of Invasion Earth.  But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I actually saw it some time. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's indefinitely on hold due to clip licensing issues.

I think that's right.  Perhaps it could be legally streamed.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,725 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:17 PM

Has it been on cable anywhere lately? Comedy Central used to run it once in a while, slightly censored.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,206 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:06 AM

I can't remember the last time I actually saw it on TV.  :( Mine is probably an old HBO recording since everything is intact. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users