What's new

Survivor Season 1 - Gord eats words (2 Viewers)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Man, this is a sad day....:frowning:
Personally I can't stand the vast majority of 'reality' TV.

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator
Finally!! I really hope this set sells well, because I really want to see Season 2 again.... another good thing is that Season 2 was one of the most popular seasons of Survivor, so that set should sell pretty well if it's brought out.

We can only hope! and buy!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Reality TV doesn't, in my opinion, make for good DVD entertainment. Remember when Fox had that TV on DVD poll? I'm pretty sure that "reality TV programming", which would have, for them, included such popular fare as "American Idol" and "Joe Millionaire", came in dead last. Out of about 25 different choices.

Why? Because people watch reality TV basically for the surprises and suspense. The only person I can imagine buying a show like "Survivor" season 1 is someone who has only seen the later seasons of the show and doesn't know what happened in the first season. Even then, probably just a rental. Right?

I'm also sure that Richard Hatch will probably pick up a copy.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Not so for some. I have Seasons 2-All Stars on tape, along with The Mole 1-2, Amazing Race 2-4, and have gone back and watched most of them a second time, and will gladly do it again. To me they are not unlike a TV series. I have all the currently available Friends, and have watched each numerous times. Even with knowing what happens, I still find myself noticing new things, and the same holds true for reality programming.

I will purchase each season of Survivor that Paramount wants to offer, provided they are just like the broadcasts.

And I would be first in line for season sets of the Amazing Race.

Chris

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic News! I just recently got into Survivor as of Pearl Islands. So I will gladly buy this and any others. I'll even buy PI and AS.

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator
Also, we'll probably get to see everyone's full explanations for their votes at tribal council... and maybe other new footage. You know what else would be nice? Commentaries! :)

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
Great news, Survivor is one of my favorite shows on TV. I'll definitly pick up the first season and all the others if they hopefully continue.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Gord, great news! Just as I was saying in the other thread that now would be the best time to start releasing the season sets with All-Stars doing so well. Like you said, I'm sure a lot of people will be paying attention to the sales on this set, so hopefully it will sell well.

As happy as I would be just to have the episodes, I hope they add some missing footage and behind-the-scenes stuff as well, it would really be a missed opportunity if this set is released bare-bones.

Chris, I'd be right next to you in line for those TAR sets.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the only real data points we have aside from highlight reels are, what, a single season of Big Brother and one or two Real World releases. Nothing yet that will be pushed quite like Survivor will be.

I think it will depend upon the extra material included. Unscripted shows like this are created in the editing room, and I think seeing some of what must be huge amounts of extra footage would be interesting, especially if it's accompanied by commentary or other making-of footage. Also, commentary from the contestants and crew could wind up being very interesting. In the same way many books are written about sports seasons after the fact, there's a lot that can be added when a series like this is revisited.

And I'm cutting in line for the Amazing Race sets if Buena Vista ever does that, and I'd like to see this set succeed if only to encourage that.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Jason, another full set coming out is Celebrity Mole: Hawaii on March 23.

I think Big Brother 4 is also supposed to be out sometime this year, probably in the summer.

John Simon

Second Unit
I think one interesting feature that could boost sales of this set is if they included some retrospective documentary that included interviews with the cast and crew and went into what exactly is involved in creating the show. I'm not sure if they really want to reveal that much, but I'd find it fascinating to see how they develop the challenges, and even how they edit the eps together.

Probably a more important aspect, however, is the cost. It will be interesting to see whether or not Paramount tries to keep the cost low to push consumers over the edge. I really wouldn't mind seeing the first season again, and a low cost (SRP < $50) would probably be good enough to get my purchase. I think it will be more interesting to see how sales would hold up for a second season, after consumers had the ability to judge the replay value of the first season. Either way, I agree that this release could be extremely important in determing the future of reality tv on DVD.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

There was an episode of 'VH1 Goes Inside' about Survivor and they discussed developing challenges etc. Very interesting episode if you're into Survivor.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
This is exciting, but not as exciting as if maybe The Amazing Race were to show up on DVD. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. But I hope the Survivor set does well. I know I'll consider picking it up.. the first season was still the best.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Even though specs haven't been released, the obvious question that pops in my head is if the exlcusive content on the current release DVD will be in this set...?

Ben T

Auditioning
Great news, never thought this would happen. Every survivor fan should buy this one.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
....and of course, the thought on EVERYONE's mind. Will the DVDs be uncensored....?

i.e. Richard Hatch in all his, um....glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks