Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor Season 1 - Gord eats words

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 11:50 AM

Well...I can't believe it, but Paramount has announced that the first season of Survivor will be released in May.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=1135

I never, ever thought this would happen.

Is there a smilie for eating ones words?

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 12:13 PM

Man, this is a sad day....Posted Image
Personally I can't stand the vast majority of 'reality' TV.

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 12:16 PM

Finally!! I really hope this set sells well, because I really want to see Season 2 again.... another good thing is that Season 2 was one of the most popular seasons of Survivor, so that set should sell pretty well if it's brought out.

We can only hope! and buy!

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 12:39 PM

I am so on this!!!! Season one is the only season I don't have on tape.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Chris

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 12:45 PM

Reality TV doesn't, in my opinion, make for good DVD entertainment. Remember when Fox had that TV on DVD poll? I'm pretty sure that "reality TV programming", which would have, for them, included such popular fare as "American Idol" and "Joe Millionaire", came in dead last. Out of about 25 different choices.

Why? Because people watch reality TV basically for the surprises and suspense. The only person I can imagine buying a show like "Survivor" season 1 is someone who has only seen the later seasons of the show and doesn't know what happened in the first season. Even then, probably just a rental. Right?

I'm also sure that Richard Hatch will probably pick up a copy.

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 01:06 PM

Quote:
Even then, probably just a rental. Right?

Not so for some. I have Seasons 2-All Stars on tape, along with The Mole 1-2, Amazing Race 2-4, and have gone back and watched most of them a second time, and will gladly do it again. To me they are not unlike a TV series. I have all the currently available Friends, and have watched each numerous times. Even with knowing what happens, I still find myself noticing new things, and the same holds true for reality programming.

I will purchase each season of Survivor that Paramount wants to offer, provided they are just like the broadcasts.

And I would be first in line for season sets of the Amazing Race.

Chris

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 01:14 PM

Fantastic News! I just recently got into Survivor as of Pearl Islands. So I will gladly buy this and any others. I'll even buy PI and AS.
I'm half human on my mother's side.

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 01:38 PM

Also, we'll probably get to see everyone's full explanations for their votes at tribal council... and maybe other new footage. You know what else would be nice? Commentaries! Posted Image

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   Sean Frost

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 01:59 PM

Great news, Survivor is one of my favorite shows on TV. I'll definitly pick up the first season and all the others if they hopefully continue.
"There was....there was this guy, he had knives for fingers"

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Gord, great news! Just as I was saying in the other thread that now would be the best time to start releasing the season sets with All-Stars doing so well. Like you said, I'm sure a lot of people will be paying attention to the sales on this set, so hopefully it will sell well.

As happy as I would be just to have the episodes, I hope they add some missing footage and behind-the-scenes stuff as well, it would really be a missed opportunity if this set is released bare-bones.

Chris, I'd be right next to you in line for those TAR sets.

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
Reality TV doesn't, in my opinion, make for good DVD entertainment.
Well, the only real data points we have aside from highlight reels are, what, a single season of Big Brother and one or two Real World releases. Nothing yet that will be pushed quite like Survivor will be.

I think it will depend upon the extra material included. Unscripted shows like this are created in the editing room, and I think seeing some of what must be huge amounts of extra footage would be interesting, especially if it's accompanied by commentary or other making-of footage. Also, commentary from the contestants and crew could wind up being very interesting. In the same way many books are written about sports seasons after the fact, there's a lot that can be added when a series like this is revisited.

And I'm cutting in line for the Amazing Race sets if Buena Vista ever does that, and I'd like to see this set succeed if only to encourage that.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 04:01 PM

Jason, another full set coming out is Celebrity Mole: Hawaii on March 23.

I think Big Brother 4 is also supposed to be out sometime this year, probably in the summer.

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted February 17 2004 - 04:17 PM

I think one interesting feature that could boost sales of this set is if they included some retrospective documentary that included interviews with the cast and crew and went into what exactly is involved in creating the show. I'm not sure if they really want to reveal that much, but I'd find it fascinating to see how they develop the challenges, and even how they edit the eps together.

Probably a more important aspect, however, is the cost. It will be interesting to see whether or not Paramount tries to keep the cost low to push consumers over the edge. I really wouldn't mind seeing the first season again, and a low cost (SRP < $50) would probably be good enough to get my purchase. I think it will be more interesting to see how sales would hold up for a second season, after consumers had the ability to judge the replay value of the first season. Either way, I agree that this release could be extremely important in determing the future of reality tv on DVD.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if they really want to reveal that much, but I'd find it fascinating to see how they develop the challenges, and even how they edit the eps together.

There was an episode of 'VH1 Goes Inside' about Survivor and they discussed developing challenges etc. Very interesting episode if you're into Survivor.

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
Well, the only real data points we have aside from highlight reels are, what, a single season of Big Brother and one or two Real World releases.

Don't forget Punk'd, Family Business and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment.

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 09:45 AM

This is exciting, but not as exciting as if maybe The Amazing Race were to show up on DVD. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. But I hope the Survivor set does well. I know I'll consider picking it up.. the first season was still the best.
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   William Waits

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 10:25 AM

Even though specs haven't been released, the obvious question that pops in my head is if the exlcusive content on the current release DVD will be in this set...?

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 12:14 PM

This is cool...but where is my Amazing Race?!!
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection
Charter Member of the HTF San Diego Chargers Fan Club. Hop on the Boltwagon!

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Ben T

Ben T

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted February 18 2004 - 12:28 PM

Great news, never thought this would happen. Every survivor fan should buy this one.

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted February 19 2004 - 12:58 AM

....and of course, the thought on EVERYONE's mind. Will the DVDs be uncensored....?

i.e. Richard Hatch in all his, um....glory.
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow