What's new

What are the best science documentary DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
If this belongs in the TV area forgive me.

I have a couple of box sets of science documentary type programs mainly dealing with the universe and the solar system. They are Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Stephen Hawking's Universe. I love these types of programs. I was wondering if there are any others similar to those worth checking out. It doesn't have to be about cosmology or anything, it could be about biology or evolution, anything related to science that is interesting I guess. That's kind of vague but you get the idea. :) Any suggestions?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly a science film, but the documentary on the Apollo program, For All Mankind is very fine and is available from Criterion.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The IMAX Space Collection is pretty good. I believe all of the titles can be purchased individually as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
All of the BBC's "Walking with ______" - Dinosaurs, Beasts, and Cavemen.

The production values are AWESOME and they cover from the time the Earth evolved till present day, discussing the evolution of all animals and life on Earth.

The Full "Walking With" collection which are also sold separately

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson

Those look awesome. I'm ordering that ASAP.

Anyone have any of these Space Films releases? They seem to be more or less just footage of the early space programs. Do they have a voice over at all? They'll be worth getting either way, I'd just like to get an idea of what they consist of.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As far as the Walking with collection...It doesn't appear to include the Caveman series (probably because the Caveman series came out after the collection was put together), but you can get that separately.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Although the Caveman series wasn't the better of the 3 (mainly because I was impressed with the 3D in the first 2 and the Caveman one featured real people in costume), it was still interesting. The Dinosaur one was the best one.

They took an interesting approach as if they were filming a documentary during the time of the dinosaurs. When the camera gets close to a dinosaur, they'll animate spit all over the lense...They even have a couple of shots where a running dinosaur knocks the camera over. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

And speaking of space documentaries, "From the Earth to the Moon" was great! It follows all of the Apollo missions and was produced by Tom Hanks. If you've ever seen "Band of Brothers", this follows the same format and same production value.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yep, I have both The Right Stuff and From the Earth to Moon, both are excellent.

Come to think of it I think I've seen some the Walking with... series on the Discovery Channel a while back. I never did see all of one episode, just bits and pieces. It looks like a great watch.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
"The Right Stuff" is not a documentary, but it is an excellent, fact-based film focusing on the Mercury and Gemini programs - not Apollo.

-Scott

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Top Gun -- Eroll Morris' great true-life documentary about a young fighter pilot trying to make it in the Navy. The climactic showdown with the Evil Country with Black Fighter Planes is especially gripping. Amazing music score by Phillip Glass and Kenny Loggins.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

If you enjoyed this, the you ought to try to find A Brief History of Time, which is both a documentary about Hawking's life and a reiteration of many of the ideas in the original edition of the book. It's available on VHS only (Paramount, 1992).

Also: I recommend Fast, Cheap and Out of Control. It defies ready description, but it is, essentially, a documentary about four men who could loosely be called "inventors." Unusual but interesting, and available on DVD.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I was thinking of From the Earth to the Moon, not the Right Stuff. Both movies I need to get though.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
You should definitely check out The Blue Planet. It is amazing! Also, Life With Mammals is pretty great as well. Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the David Attenborough / BBC productions.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the fictionalized The Right Stuff goes from the Bell X-1 supersonic flight to the Mercury program. Gemini is not part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks