What's new

Upcoming Criterion releases (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I figured it was worth a thread for this. In the Criterion chat from last night, technical director Lee Kline made an announcement at the end:

I am stoked about Stray Dog. I've heard for a while that Criterion was working on it, so it's great to hear that it'll be out this summer. Barrie Maxwell of Digital Bits said that Stephen Prince would be doing a commentary for it, which is excellent news, as Prince reliably delivers high-quality work on those tracks.

I saw Stray Dog a few years ago as part of an on-campus Japanese film series. One technical detail that I hope has been resolved is the subtitles for part of the scene at the baseball stadium. When Shimura and Mifune are talking in one or two of those shots, the background is just the blazing summer sky, and the white subtitles were totally transparent against the background, so I had no idea what they were saying!

I've also never seen The Leopard or Tin Drum, so I look forward to checking those out.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now he's ruled out The Iron Horse, I'm quite excited at the prospect of John Ford on Criterion - but which one will it be, and should we tie this in with the news that Fox have licensed several titles to Criterion?

Let the guessing begin!

---
So many films, so little time...

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Testament of Dr. Mabuse, I'm wondering if this will be the 1933 original or the 1962 remake?

What a great chat!...a major thank you to Mr. Kline, and a special thanks to Ron Epstein. Criterion's collection continues to amaze!

Howard

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
From previous info, I assume Lee Kline was referring to the '33 version of Mabuse.

Was just about to order the upcoming R2 release, but now I'll just wait and see which one is best. I'm sure Criterion will send Gary Tooze a copy as soon as possible. :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Stagecoach is owned by Warner, is it not? If it is, that basically rules it out as a Criterion, as Warner doesn't license out movies to other companies.....

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm down with the Bergman, Kurosawa and Godard dvd's - I tried watching The Leopard and found it to be quite dull, which is a shame because sounds like Criterion are going to pull out all the stops on this release.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, wish I would have remembered the chat or someone had asked a follow up question from the Fox chat where they said they had licensed Kagemusha to Criterion.....

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Finally! My prayers have been answered!!!

Over the last few months, I've left so many threads on HTF asking for info on a possible Criterion release of 'A Woman is a Woman', and I never got any replies!!

Now I can sit back, relax and be confident that it will be the DVD release of 2004.

Thank you Criterion!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested only in "Testament of Dr Mabuse" & only if it is the 1933 version.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention this part of the chat:

Anyone have a guess about what Hitchcock movie they might be working on? One that I love is Foreign Correspondent from 1940, it'd be awesome if Criterion did that one. I don't know who has the rights to it, so I have little or no basis for that as a guess.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it would be Foreign Correspondent as that's a Warner owned film. It may be one of his British films from the 30's or Lifeboat which is a Fox owned film (since Criterion has a licensing agreement with them).

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
So, is Criterion doing Paris, TX? I was disappointed that they are not working on a Brazil anamorphic transfer.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

I think that Criterion's target demographic isn't very interested in remakes, so yes, it will be 1933 version.

I am very excited about A Woman is a Woman and will be getting it along with The Leopard, The Tin Drum, Stray Dog... actually everything except for Mamma Roma.

Ted

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I am extremely excited about Stray Dog! It's one of my favorite Kurosawa films, and I'll finally be able to retire my Mei Ah DVD!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
For the record, STAGECOACH and FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT are only licensed to Warner Bros., not owned by them. They are part of the Caidin film collection package, which also includes I MARRIED A WITCH and the original TO BE OR NOT TO BE. And as none of those have hit DVD yet I don't think, maayyybeee this could be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks