What's new

"I Love Lucy" - Paramount... when? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The end of the year is approaching quickly and I still haven't seen anything new on the boxed sets of the 1950's "I Love Lucy" shows that Paramount questioned us on.
What gives?

Dylan Davis

Stunt Coordinator
You will only be able to buy "Best of" discs in stores.
Columbia House offers the entire series in air date order (after the first disc, which isnt).
I just recieved by 4th disc and they are very nice!!!
Each disc contains an entire episode of the radio show that I Love Lucy was based on, plus other bonus features.
Dylan

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
According to Martin Blythe during the HTF's national meet in L.A. last month, Paramount has dropped their plans to release Lucy on DVD because the original elements are in too poor shape, I believe was the reason.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Dylan-
I just received my first disc from CH, titled Cuban Pals. Is that the first one you received? I tried calling them to clarify the order these will be sent, it's a real struggle getting any details or clarification from them, anyone I talk to seems clueless.
Cuban Pals IS in air date order, I thought I was going to receive a "best of" as the first disc. The last person I spoke with said the pilot episode disc is next and that none of these discs are sent in any order or airdate order. Very frustrating.

Dylan Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, that was the first disc I recieved.
They list the airdates on the cover, and they are scattered throughout the shows run.
Disc 2 begins with the un-aired pilot and goes in air date order from there!
So dont worry, they are in order. I guess they will just skip over the episodes that are on the 1st disc.
I think if you look back on one of the first chat transcripts with Paramount, you will see I Love Lucy discussed.
Dylan
PS - If the elements are in poor condition, I'd love to see it if the elements were in pristine condition, because they look great!
[Edited last by Dylan Davis on October 18, 2001 at 02:32 PM]
[Edited last by Dylan Davis on October 18, 2001 at 02:34 PM]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a question about these Columbia
House discs, but first....
I have many of the Lucy VHS tapes that
Columbia House put out years ago. The
elements look superb, and this is VHS!
As many times I have seen I LOVE LUCY
on these VHS tapes or on television, I
am always in awe as to how great the
picture quality looks for a show that's
now 50 years old.
I can't imagine why Paramount would think
otherwise, but then again, I am not going
to second guess those guys.
So....
Paramount loses my business and I am sure
that of many of you who want I LOVE LUCY
on DVD.
So....
Tell me. What is the I LOVE LUCY DVD club
deal?
1. How much for the introductory
2. How much for future shipments?
3. How many episodes per DVD?
It looks like I may join.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have some questions, as well. Do the episodes include the original (non-heart opening)? And, if I placed my first order for it now, would I start from the first disc? Thanks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the list of question-asking interested people.
Can you JUST join the I Love Lucy club, or do you also have to be a member of the "normal" CH DVD club? I don't want to do the former if I also have to participate in the latter (or indeed, in ANY other CH deal...I would *just* want the ILLucy club deal).
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ron, I just got my first volume a couple days ago, and there are 4 episodes per disc. The introductory disc is $4.95, plus another $4.99, for shipping. I believe subsequent volumes are $19.95 (I thought it was $24.95, but it now says $19.95 on their web site).
The first disc includes four episodes in order (CH website is wrong -- it claims 3 episodes on the introductory disc) -- "Cuban Pals," "The Freezer," "Lucy Does A TV Commerical [Vitameatavegamin]," and "The Publicity Agent." I actually had never seen "Cuban Pals" or "The Publicity Agent." I thought I'd seen them all.
One VERY pleasant surprise was that they restored some cut lines of dialogue to "Vitameatavegamin." Where Lucy crawls inside the TV at home and performs a "commercial" for Fred and Ricky, she was originally advertising Phillip Morris cigarettes, the show's sponsor. Desi cut her lines referring to Phillip Morris when the show went into syndication, but Columbia House, bless their hearts, has actually restored them to the episode.
The original opening of the show is included as a supplement -- but not as a part of the shows themselves.
It also features a "flub" section, pointing out mistakes in the episodes on the discs. Desi breaks up at one point (apparently it was not scripted), and Lucy can be glimpsed watching from the wings in "Vitameatavegamin" when supposedly no one can find her.
Another great feature on the first disc (and I've only received one so far) is audio excerpts from Jess Oppenheimer's forthcoming book about the making of the show. It's read by an actor, and talks about the episodes on the disc -- how they were conceived, etc. It's almost like a running commentary, and they do show scenes from the episodes. Very interesting.
It also includes at least excerpts from Lucy's radio show, though I have not listened to it yet.
I have to say... I was slightly disappointed in the video quality. The video is certainly CLEAN -- but it seems to lack sharpness and detail. It doesn't look bad by any means, but I sincerely doubt these were remastered for DVD -- they look like they were probably taken off the D2 masters for the VHS versions. Don't expect them to look as good as the "Twilight Zone" DVDs -- they don't. Nonetheless, if Paramount has canceled their boxed set, this looks like the only way we're going to get "I Love Lucy" on DVD, so I'd say "Go for it!"
BTW, as I'll be posting here in a moment, just went on CH website to verify the prices, and "All in the Family," "Hogan's Heroes" and "The Cosby Show" are now also available on DVD!
[Edited last by Brian W. on October 18, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Scott, your first disc would be the one I listed in the previous post, and others on the board have said that the second disc is be the pilot episode and the following three episodes chronologically after that.
David, no, you don't have to be a regular member of Columbia House. You can just join the "I Love Lucy" DVD Club. And now, the "All In the Family" or the "Hogan's Heroes" or "Cosby" or "Have Gun Will Travel" DVD clubs, etc.
Their VHS "I Love Lucy" club only has 3 episodes per disc, whereas the DVDs have 4. The same is true for "All in the Family," which was NOT in chronological order on VHS. I wonder if the "All in the Family" DVD will be chronological? I'll post it here when I receive it -- should be about 3 weeks.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Ron and Brian,
If you look at the CH site you can distinguish that the VHS has 3 episodes and each are $19.95. The DVD (though the site says 3 episodes but in print there are 4 per disc) are $24.95 each.
You don't have to be a member to join and if you don't have a mailing savings code, the first disc is $4.99 + $3.99 shipping. You can always find .89¢ introductory offers.
There is nothing else to buy.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
You can get the first disc for free, plus $3.99 shipping. Just go to http://www.columbiahouse.com and click on "TV GREATS" near the bottom of the screen. On the next page enter the code "berl" and you get your first video or DVD for free plus shipping. The I Love Lucy DVD collection is on page 11 (of 13). Warning: Don't select I Love Lucy on page 2! That's for VHS. Also: Don't bother clicking on "dvd collections" at the side of the screen. It doesn't work.
The first disc is definitely worth $4. However, the subsequent discs are about $30 each after shipping. I really wanted to continue my membership, but that's too rich for my blood.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, Brian. One more question for anyone who can answer it. I was seriously considering getting just the first disc because of the price, but now will definitely be getting it for just the cost of shipping (thanks Gabe). How would I go about cancelling my account after I receive the inital disc? Thanks,

Hey guys, I'd love to join this discussion but CH refused to allow me to join. I filled out the online form and a few weeks later received a letter in the mail saying they couldn't open an account for me. I sent them an e-mail asking why, was it a credit problem or what. They sent me a reply saying that "As stated on our applications, we reserve the right to reject any application or cancel any membership. Therefore, due to a business decision your application was not accepted." It's really confusing as I constantly get mailers from them wanting me to join the DVD club. Go figure. If they don't want my $1,200 that's thier loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks