What's new

Alternative to Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

Rather than XM or Sirius to the house, how about using your cable model or DSL connection to pump streaming audio into your theater?

Example: I listen to Classic FM from London via the Link Removed It streams though my DSL connection to my clunky old Win 98 computer (via wireless link), to the Neo 6.1 receiver, and to the speakers. Crystal clear (very, very little background noise).

I only have two occasional problems. Buffering (once every 12-14 hours or so for a few minutes), and unavailability due to equipment problems at the station in the UK (once every few weeks and only then for a few hours).

The DSL connection has yet to fail and in on 24/7.

jk3
www.y2kfam.com/theater.htm

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I do this with my XBox running Xbox Media player. I also have XM though, as internet radio doesn't do me any good at work(firewall) or in the car.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As Dave pointed out, you can't take cable radio
with you in the car.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I have a friend of mine who is trying. He has a Kyosera Palm phone, with wireless Internet connectivity. The sticking point is finding a streaming MP3 player for Palm.

The station he wants, and the one that I listen to at work and at home, is Radio Paradise. www.radioparadise.com

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks