-

Photo
- - - - -

How many would like the Banacek TV series on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 of 70 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,208 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 09:12 AM

There were...
2 Columbo tv-movie pilots and 43 episodes (the last five of which aired as movie specials after the Mystery Movie had already ended)
1 McMillan and Wife pilot and 39 episodes (including 33 M&W's and 6 McMillans)
1 McCloud pilot and either 42 or 45 episodes depending on how you count them
1 Banacek pilot and, indeed, only 16 episodes (Banacek was not rotated with the other three; it was part of the other Tuesday/Wednesday wheel)

There were also 10 Hec Ramsey episodes and 5 or fewer episodes of various unsuccessful attempts. The second wheel, featuring Banacek, was not a success, although Banacek itself did get good ratings. However, a loophole in Peppard's contract allowed him to quit whenever he chose and after two years, he exercised that option.

#42 of 70 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:13 PM

Lee & Joe, thanks for the info.

Amazing how your childhood memories can vary so much from reality.

Watching the first season of Columbo now and only recall having seen the Jack Cassidy episode in the past. Know that I didn't get into the series until 1972 and must have missed a lot of these 1971 episodes in syndication.

Let's hope the rest of the Mystery Movie shows get a full release. Looking forward to the Banacek episodes.
Stan

#43 of 70 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,266 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 03:19 PM

I hate to say it, but this news doesn't look as good as it did originally.

The amount of material being put on one disc is too much and is bound to be problematic. Coupled with the news that the McHales Navy episodes Universal licensed to SHOUT look subpar leads me to fear this will not be any better. I will reserve judgement though.

Artwork shouldn't bother me, but the preliminary version looks like a PD release. The prominent TV Guide logo has got to be moved or changed.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#44 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
Well good new bad news, maybe the quality won't suffer because the shows don't look great to begin with, I remember seeing some of these in syndication and they looked pretty bad, if not remastered , yikes, I guess it's good that some more obscure series
Are we typing about the same TV series? I saw all of the Banacek episodes in reruns back in the 1980s, and they are in excellent condition. As with all of the Universal TV series produced in the 1970s, there is no need to remaster them. Even 1960s Universal shows look great to begin with ("The Virginian" and "Run for Your Life" in particular -- both of which deserve DVD season set releases).

#45 of 70 OFFLINE   mannix

mannix

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HR
Not interested. There are a few other shows that I want more.
that makes two of us

#46 of 70 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
Are we typing about the same TV series? I saw all of the Banacek episodes in reruns back in the 1980s, and they are in excellent condition. As with all of the Universal TV series produced in the 1970s, there is no need to remaster them. Even 1960s Universal shows look great to begin with ("The Virginian" and "Run for Your Life" in particular -- both of which deserve DVD season set releases).

Back in the 80s means 20 years ago. Things can age over 20 years.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#47 of 70 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,266 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 09:04 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's semantics, but while these episodes may not need to be restored, they definitely need to be remastered. Using 20+ year old masters on a DVD will result in a subpar picture. Reference the review of McHale's Navy on DVD Talk on how disappointing the picture, which apparently came from decades old masters, looks.

Flaws that were hidden viewing on a low resolution set in 1985 will be readily apparent when viewing on a high resolution DVD in 2007.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#48 of 70 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 08:00 PM

I haven't seen this show,as it premiered the year I was born,but I'll probably get it.How similar,or dissimilar for that matter,were Peppard's portrayals of Banacek and Hannibal Smith,on The A-Team?

#49 of 70 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 08:01 PM

I haven't seen this show,as it premiered the year I was born,but I'll probably get it.How similar,or dissimilar for that matter,were Peppard's portrayals of Banacek and Hannibal Smith,on The A-Team?

#50 of 70 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 01:41 AM

Quote:
How similar,or dissimilar for that matter,were Peppard's portrayals of Banacek and Hannibal Smith,on The A-Team?

Very dissimilar.

Peppard in Banacek was a sophisticated "man about town" Insurance investigator/Detective that solved "impossible high profile crimes" for the 10% insurance recovery fee.

His character on Banacek reminded me more of Gene Barry in Burke's Law than Hannibal Smith on "The A-TEAM".
Joseph
---------------

#51 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
Back in the 80s means 20 years ago. Things can age over 20 years.
That's not the case with TV cable networks that rerun these old shows. I'll give you an example of the most famous Mystery Movie series: COLUMBO. For several years before the old series came to DVD, every broadcast repeat I saw on cable TV (particularly A & E Network) had excellent quality copies. No doubt they were on broadcast master tapes that the studio made for them from the original film negatives. And those episodes are as much as 35+ years old.

That's also how local stations did it in the 80s and 90s too. The technical equipment is certainly better now, but my point is that they don't have to be remastered digitally to look as good as new. Posted Image

#52 of 70 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
That's not the case with TV cable networks that rerun these old shows. I'll give you an example of the most famous Mystery Movie series: COLUMBO. For several years before the old series came to DVD, every broadcast repeat I saw on cable TV (particularly A & E Network) had excellent quality copies. No doubt they were on broadcast master tapes that the studio made for them from the original film negatives. And those episodes are as much as 35+ years old.

That's also how local stations did it in the 80s and 90s too. The technical equipment is certainly better now, but my point is that they don't have to be remastered digitally to look as good as new. Posted Image

The problem is that video degrades over time. It's a magnetic. The tapes will get old and flake. Do your VHS tapes from 1985 look as good now as then?
And you still have to remaster something when you go from analog tapes to digital. You have to tweak colors. Sure the level of remaster is different - but it must be remastered.

If I'm going to pay for a DVD set, I want it to look better than if I just set the DVD-R to record. I want the sharp details. Plus with rise of HD channels, if they have these shows on 35mm negatives, why not make a proper HD transfer so it can be broadcast for decades to come rather than go short and pay for it in the long run?
come see the reviews at

#53 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
The problem is that video degrades over time. It's a magnetic. The tapes will get old and flake. Do your VHS tapes from 1985 look as good now as then?
I got rid of my VHS recorder and tapes 4 years ago when I switched to DVD-R, but a few of my oldest tapes from the mid 1980s still played as good as new a full decade later. Back then Fuji, TDK, and Maxell manufactured some of the best metal particle tapes.

Quote:
If I'm going to pay for a DVD set, I want it to look better than if I just set the DVD-R to record. I want the sharp details. Plus with rise of HD channels, if they have these shows on 35mm negatives, why not make a proper HD transfer so it can be broadcast for decades to come rather than go short and pay for it in the long run?
I'm not disagreeing with you. Digital remastering is the best we have, but it's also very expensive. That's why only the black & white episodes of GUNSMOKE are in pristine condition and the color shows looked faded. It's those old faded film prints that need digital remastering, and not shows that have held up such as Banacek and COLUMBO, which were shot on much higher quality film stock. Posted Image

#54 of 70 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 01:38 PM

Quote:
I got rid of my VHS recorder and tapes 4 years ago when I switched to DVD-R, but a few of my oldest tapes from the mid 1980s still played as good as new a full decade later. Back then Fuji, TDK, and Maxell manufactured some of the best metal particle tapes.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Digital remastering is the best we have, but it's also very expensive. That's why only the black & white episodes of GUNSMOKE are in pristine condition and the color shows looked faded. It's those old faded film prints that need digital remastering, and not shows that have held up such as Banacek and COLUMBO, which were shot on much higher quality film stock. Posted Image

As far as film stock goes, I don't think neither Banacek or Columbo was shot on IB-Technicolor stock. They were probably shot using an Eastmancolor stock that will redshift over the years. The LPP stock which has a better color life wasn't introduced until the 1980s.

I work in video production. I also spent five years working at a major film archive. My best friend runs the AV Geeks archive. I understand the fragile life of film. And I understand how videotapes over a few years old can be really iffy.
come see the reviews at

#55 of 70 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 08:39 AM

I don't know if I like the idea of having that humongous TV Guide logo on the cover of a DVD set that I'd love to buy ... it's shameless of TV Guide to do that especially when no other studios do that ... it feels like I'm guying a severely overpriced TV Guide.

#56 of 70 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
I don't know if I like the idea of having that humongous TV Guide logo on the cover of a DVD set that I'd love to buy ... it's shameless of TV Guide to do that especially when no other studios do that ... it feels like I'm guying a severely overpriced TV Guide.
What difference do outside appearances make? It's what's on the discs inside that counts. That's like complaining about the Tom Cruise feature film title logo for the first Mission: Impossible from this modern era appearing on the recent disc release packaging instead of the 1966 logo. Both look good.

#57 of 70 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted April 30 2007 - 04:54 AM

I don't think I'll be getting this set. For one thing: it's missing the pilot. Therefore it's not the complete first season.

Also, there are other shows coming out this year that are more important to me.

#58 of 70 OFFLINE   mannix

mannix

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted April 30 2007 - 07:03 AM

forget about it if it was ellery queen or dan august i would get it

#59 of 70 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,104 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westumulka ../../..

I've yet to watch this season yet, but judging from the previous sets I have got from Madman (Banacek, It Takes a Thief, Paul Temple, Ironside among others) I have been extremely happy with their releases.

Note: The quoted post is from the mccloud season 3 HTF thread.

I was considering purchasing Banacek on DVD, but the comments I've read on here have been negative. Are the episodes in the Madman sets uncut, and what is the print quality like?

#60 of 70 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,277 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 12:02 PM

I only have the region 1 so-called TV Guide DVD releases, not sure if they're cut but I'm very happy with the picture quality on these sets.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow