What's new

How many would like the Banacek TV series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
"Banacek" (1972)
[TV-Series 1972-1974]
Directed by
Lou Antonio
Herschel Daugherty
Plot Outline: The adventures of proud Polish-American detective Thomas Banacek. (more)
Complete credited cast:
George Peppard .... Thomas Banacek
Ralph Manza .... Jay Drury
Murray Matheson .... Felix Mulholland
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Christine Belford .... Carlie Kirkland (1973-1974)
(more)
Runtime: 90 min (17 episodes)
Language: English
Color: Color (Technicolor)
Sound Mix: Mono or 5.1 maybe
I have all 17 commercial cut episodes of the 90 minute of Thomas "Banacek", part of the Columbo and MacMillan and wife Mystery Night Movie back in the 1970's. Bamacek was one *cool* character collecting huge finder fees. Getting the audience scratching their heads as to where the item(s) went, including a disapearing football player in the middle of fotball game. My favorite "500,000 dollars a page". When are we going to see this un cut gem on DVD and how many of us are there? :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't seen much of it, but I like Peppard. I'd consider it.

"I love it when a DVD set comes together."

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'd purchase a complete series box of this show in a heartbeat!

As I recall, the show was very cleverly written for the most part. The show also represented about the best acting we would get out of Peppard for a TV series. (I always felt as though some of his acting on "The A-TEAM" bordered on "cheesy".)

Yeah ... I'd purchase it!

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see all of the Mystery Night Movie series' released with the original MNM opening and theme. I thought that was a really cool opening. Several years ago a station in Los Angeles played most of the Columbo movies with this opening and I taped a good portion of them on VHS. Would love to replace them with DVD versions.

- Randy

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Randy and Joe that's what I did I seen this program that had the original series on it. I used Scotch Blue High Grade to edit out the commercials, but I would buy this series if it came out on DVD like you said in a heartbeat.
I view them and some still have me scratching my head. How did he figure that out, if the x-files had this guy as the script writer, they wouldn't have run out of shows. He like the series was a winner in my book.IMHO :)

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
Great series! Would buy in an instant.

Not sure how likely it would be. I've had Banacek on my Tivo's wish list for years with never a hit (Comcast cable). Still, would love to see it.

TB

70stvfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Silver
I too really loved "Banacek" (1972) starring George Peppard on the NBC Mystery Movie (rotating along with "Columbo" and "McCloud"). A predecessor to this was "The Name of the Game" which was on the first rotating series wheel, the 4 in 1 Mystery Movie. It had Gene Barry, Robert Stack, and Tony Franciosa, who each week rotated their own stories. They worked at Howard Publications, which published "Crime Magazine", and "People Magazine"(!) -- of course this was BEFORE the real People Mag came into existence. Also, from the same period (late '60s) was "It Takes a Thief" starring Robert Wagner. Like "Banacek" it ran only two seasons, but was very popular nonetheless!

NBC Universal REALLY needs to get these shows onto DVD! These were very popular in their day... so get it together you guys! We want this stuff!!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I agree with Jeff in that I wouldn't buy this series. But I did enjoy watching Banacek in Mystery Movie reruns in the late 1980s. My favorite episode was the one in which a $1 million sports car is stolen, and nobody in the crowd saw how it disappeared!
Seconding the motion to want to see a show I've never had the chance to see from the previous post: The Name of the Game, I would buy those sight unseen just as I did with Wiseguy.
I was the first person here to want Robert Wagner's best series It Takes a Thief released on disc. The show kept improving each season, reaching a pinnacle of excellence in the final year 1969-1970 in which Fred Astaire was seen in about a half dozen episodes as Alexander Mundy's father Alistar Mundy. It was Fred at his best, working with Al on capers together. Wagner usually fawned over sexy young women that turned up in this series (and understandably so), and that included his future Hart to Hart co-star Stefanie Powers who guested in "Fortune City" with Broderick Crawford. But Al saw the inner beauty of an old woman in "Touch of Magic", because that lady was herself a former thief as played by Bette Davis.

70stvfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Silver
I would also like to see the original opening (of the NBC Mystery Movie)... it was VERY cool. It featured a man walking & holding a flashlight that he would shine across the camera, to a GREAT main title theme composed by the equally great Henry Mancini. Yes, this should most definitely be included in any DVD's of Banacek, or future DVD's of McCloud, Macmillan & Wife, and Columbo, which all rotated under the Mystery Movie banner.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I really loved this series as well ... I caught this series after getting drawn into watching the A-Team. It's definately a must have after Columbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks